Windows 10: KB4497165 installed on wrong CPU - PC now stuck in "windows 8" start screen mode and I...

Discus and support KB4497165 installed on wrong CPU - PC now stuck in "windows 8" start screen mode and I... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; KB4497165 installed on wrong CPU - PC now stuck in "windows 8" start screen mode and I haven't been able to restore default start menu The PC has an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by WFHeidlage, Jun 6, 2020.

1. KB4497165 installed on wrong CPU - PC now stuck in "windows 8" start screen mode and I...

KB4497165 installed on wrong CPU - PC now stuck in "windows 8" start screen mode and I haven't been able to restore default start menu

The PC has an Intel G630 CPU which is not listed as proper for the KB4497165, as per https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4497165/kb4497165-intel-microcode-updates

I uninstalled the KB4497165 manually from administrative cmd prompt, wusa /uninstall etc. and it appeared to uninstall OK.

But I can't return to the default start menu and desktop. Applications all appears in the middle of the display, and when opened, they open in full screen with no option to minimize.

May I please have a fix for this, and I would like for the reply to come from an official Microsoft support person, not any free-lancers.

Thank you.

:)

WFHeidlage, Jun 6, 2020

2. Unable to boot the PC, stuck in recovery mode screen​

Hi Joe,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are unable to boot the PC normally as it is stuck in recovery mode.

1. Were there any recent updates installed on the PC?
    2. What is the exact make and model of the PC?

I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and check if that helps.

Method 1:

Boot the PC into safe mode with networking and check if you are able to login. Refer the article to

Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10
    , refer the section
    From a black or blank screen.

Method 2:

Perform a system restore to revert the PC back to the state when everything was working fine. Refer the article

Recovery options in Windows 10
    , refer the section
    Use installation media to restore or reset your PC.

Note:
    Do not reset the PC; resetting the PC will remove all the data and installed programs from the PC.

We await your response.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Jun 6, 2020
  3. 100% CPU Usage after Windows 10 upgrade

Hello Aaron,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

Most of the time, computers only use a small fraction of their CPU power. In fact, many computers use less than 5% of their CPU most of the time. When you open an application, play a video game, or encode media file, the CPU usage will rise or spike temporarily.
    Once the CPU intensive process completes, the CPU usage should once again drop down to lower level. Most applications will not use up more than 50% of your CPU for an extended period of time. However, some programs and system processes can use up a large amount
    of CPU without you even knowing it. This may happen if a program gets stuck in an infinite loop or encounters an unexpected error.

I suggest you to perform Safe mode and Clean boot procedures on the PC by following the steps below.

Step 1: I suggest you to boot your PC in Safe mode by following the steps from the link below and check if the issue is resolved.

Safe mode is a diagnostic mode that starts your computer with limited drivers necessary to run Windows. The words
    Safe Mode appear at the corners of your monitor to identify which Windows mode you are using.

Expand the options to boot into Safe Mode:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Reboot the PC to exit from Safe mode.

To know more about Safe mode, following is an article on
    Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode)
    (Applies to Windows 10 also):

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-safe-mode

Step 2: If the issue persists, perform Clean boot on your PC by following the steps from the link below and check if the issue is resolved.

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

I suggest you to perform clean boot by following the steps from the link below and check if the issue is resolved.

You can open the system configuration window in Windows 10:

a. Using run command.

• Press Windows Key + R keys on the Keyboard.
      • Type msconfig.msc and press Enter.

b. Using Cortana.

• Press Windows icon key on the keyboard and type msconfig.
      • Select the top most search result.
    Follow the steps from 3 under How to perform a clean boot
    for Windows 8.1 and Windows 8 from the link below (The steps for clean boot suggested in the link below for
    Windows 8/8.1 is applicable for Windows 10 as well):

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Disclaimer: Start the computer in normal mode refer the section,
    How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting
    from the link above.

Write to us with the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Jun 6, 2020
  4. Clintlgm Win User

KB4497165 installed on wrong CPU - PC now stuck in "windows 8" start screen mode and I...

CPU is stuck in OC mode and not stepping down

Asus G752VY, I76700HQ @ 2.60, 32 gb Ram, NVidia 980m, Samsung 960 Pro 500 GB Windows 10 Pro 1709 16299.98

Two things I'm noticing first off using HWinfo 64 and CPUID HWmonitor, and Performance monitor, my I76700HQ @ 2.60 CPU is stuck in OC mode and is not stepping down at all, the only stepping is 3.0 to 3.3.
    In addition I have Core 1 running 90% + 100% of the time.
    Resource Monitor is showing that System NT Kernel & System has 207 threads running and aver ageing 12.29% CPU nothing else in Resource monitor stands out.

My power setting advanced CPU Min 5% Max 100%

This is the 2nd time this has happen on this notebook, the first time it was after a windows update. A 2nd update came out a few days later fixed it.

This time it started with a BIOS update. I have run the latest windows update hoping it would do some magic but no joy.

Are there any other windows setting I can check or set to get the CPU Stepping again?

So this problem was going on for a couple of weeks, today after posting this issue. I decided I would go into my BIOS and see if there was any setting that would effect the CPU Usage or Clocking. I checked every nook and corner of that BIOS and nothing there about the CPU and any settings at all. So I closed out with out saving and guess what my CPU is stepping normally my core 1 is working normally I have no issue. I also have no Idea why this issue happen in the first place I do know is started with the BIOS update. I have no Idea how just opening up this BIOS again and looking through every setting possible finding nothing to help my issue closing with out saving? I'm Fixed?

KB4497165 installed on wrong CPU - PC now stuck in "windows 8" start screen mode and I... [​IMG]

Clintlgm, Jun 6, 2020
Thema:

KB4497165 installed on wrong CPU - PC now stuck in "windows 8" start screen mode and I...

1. KB4497165 installed on wrong CPU - PC now stuck in "windows 8" start screen mode and I... - Similar Threads - KB4497165 installed wrong

2. Stuck in lock screen and pc is not starting in safe mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuck in lock screen and pc is not starting in safe mode: When i start my pc the lockscreen has no wallpaper and i cant get to the password entry box. I can just drag the clock up and down. When i try to start in safe mode, the system just boots all the way to the lockscreen again....
  3. Stuck in lock screen and pc is not starting in safe mode

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Stuck in lock screen and pc is not starting in safe mode: When i start my pc the lockscreen has no wallpaper and i cant get to the password entry box. I can just drag the clock up and down. When i try to start in safe mode, the system just boots all the way to the lockscreen again....
  4. Stuck in lock screen and pc is not starting in safe mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. installed a windows update and now its stuck on black screen at start

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    installed a windows update and now its stuck on black screen at start: Hello! So last night i installed a update and had the computer restart however, after the update, my computer gave me the "repairing disk errors.This might take an hour to complete" I was like, okay fine, ill let it fix its self over night. This morning i found the computer...
  6. WIndows 10 Home May 2020 update with KB4497165 push to install on AMD CPU system. Should I...

WIndows 10 Home May 2020 update with KB4497165 push to install on AMD CPU system. Should I...: Hi all, I had delayed Windows 10 home update to 30 days later standard just to avoid possible Microsoft update issues that were surfacing recently. And today I got notification for installing pending KB4497165. I did a reaearch and this update was for the Intel CPU...
  7. Windows Update KB4497165

Windows Update KB4497165: I have an old Intel processo i3-2350M 2.3Ghz that works great on my Windows 10 Toshiba Satellite P745-S4102, but bI didn't see it on the list of processors for KB4497165. If indeed this update is not intended for my i3 processor, should I not update it? I have paused the...
  8. Issue with installation of Microsoft Update KB4497165

Issue with installation of Microsoft Update KB4497165: Issue with installation of Microsoft Update KB4497165 My customer has an Acer Aspire E1-572P laptop running Windows 10 Home Version 1909 OS Build 18363.836 30 Sept 19. For several days the above update has automatically installed and restarted. On shutdown in...
  9. KB4497165?

KB4497165?: Hi! Windows Update installed this new KB today on my AMD Ryzen PC. At the support site, Microsoft says the following: Important Install this update for the listed processors only. And the list is Intel only. So, why is WU installing an update that's meant to be used...
  10. stuck in start full screen mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    stuck in start full screen mode: when i disable it it keep getting back to on please help me i dont have the tabled mode on and i dont know what to do please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/stuck-in-start-full-screen-mode/f05fb9e0-6c85-48a7-9855-e19099f47e27
  1. GHacks
Tags: