Windows 10: KB4512508 deletes user made junctions and symbolic links

Discus and support KB4512508 deletes user made junctions and symbolic links in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My system was normal today when I booted it up. but after KB4512508 installed it self, before even rebooting the system, all my symbolic links and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Cybot, Aug 14, 2019 at 5:32 AM.

1. Cybot Win User

KB4512508 deletes user made junctions and symbolic links

My system was normal today when I booted it up. but after KB4512508 installed it self, before even rebooting the system, all my symbolic links and junctions got deleted. the did not get broken, they got deleted. the endpoint for the junction no longer exist. and the desktop icons that referred to stuff in the directoried made via junctions are showing as broken. on top of that, Steam opened up when I booted up my system for the day. but after the update installed it self, all of a sudden all my games were saying that the executable was missing. this is what alerted me that something had gone wrong. I am now having to go back and re-create all of my junctions and symbolic links - *SARCASM* THANKS FOR THAT M$! if you were gonna pull this type of stunt with an update the least you could have done is give you userbase a warning. BTW.... all the M$ created junctions and symbolic links are just fine. so it is definitely the update, not anything else. other wise I would have broken junctions and the like. thanks for yet another big FU to your loyal customers.

:)

2. GDavid Win User

Symbolic link (Junction/s), how-to mklink? Please help with Junction?

Hi all, having been a member at Seven then Ten forums for a fair while I'm hoping to find a straight answer here..? Apologies in advance if this is too verbose.
    Windows 10 system booting from (UEFI) NVME with 2xSSDs + 2 MHDDs for storage...

An application (Xperia Companion) which will not let me select or personalise the location for saving backups of my cellular phone data...

Think I found a fair definition of the differences at the Computer hope site which would suggest it's a Junction I need:
    I want Xperia companion to save backups to F:\Sony Backups NOT the default C:\Users\GD\Documents\Sony. Would the Junction (link) allow me to to fulfill my wants and could someone please demonstrate the mklink commands needed?

with thanks and regards,
    Dave

3. SYmbolic Links and Junctions

rd /s <name>

All versions of Win10 have mklink that can make both dir symbolic links and junctions. Create a dir junction for your use case using
    mklink /j.

Define "better". I'm sure there are apps that do the same thing, either independently by calling the Win32 API functions or by acting as mere frontends to mklink itself. IMO if you can use mklink properly why should you need anything else?

4. J_J_MAC Win User

SYmbolic Links and Junctions

In Windows 10 Pro , I am attempting to move the User Data directory C:\Users\m\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data to D:\Chrome Cache and Profile\User Data. In connection with that I added the following command in the Command Prompt window (run as administrator)
    to make a junction.

mklink /J "C:\Users\m\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data" "D:\Chrome Cache and Profile\User Data"

I was following the procedure outlined here

Change Cache Location In Google Chrome

However the link is not working perhaps because I did not get the User Data directory moved correctly to D:\Chrome Cache and Profile\. I have the following questions

1. How do I delete the Junction link I made so I can start over? I prefer to use the Command Prompt window rather than find it in Explorer and delete it there because t when I go looking for it in Explorer I can't find it.

2. Does Windows 10 Pro allow Junctions to be made or should I use a Symbolic Link to D:\Chrome Cache and Profile\User Data? Which would be best if both can be used?

3. Is mklink via the command prompt the best way to do this? Or is there a better way?

I used a number of symbolic links on another computer a few years ago moving some directories from a small solid state drive to a larger hard drive and had no problem.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Thema:

1. KB4512508 deletes user made junctions and symbolic links - Similar Threads - KB4512508 deletes user

2. KB4512508

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    KB4512508: It seems that I am not alone with this update which failed for me (win 10 / 32 bit ) --- It crashed the system, then then after numerous restarted its was backed out of the system I found this text in the event log --- Installation Failure: Windows failed to...
  3. Symbolic links inside linked folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Symbolic links inside linked folder: Hi I'm creating symbolic links of one folder (Missions folder) to server so that the server can load the missions from the linked folder and this works. But the problem is that when I create symbolic links inside the sub folders (of Missions folder) then the server fails to...
  4. Temporary User Profile Made me delete files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Temporary User Profile Made me delete files: Hi, I recently booted my PC after the battery went down. Everything was normal until i reached my dekstop where I realised it had been cleaned. All my folders had disappeared. I did not know at the time that Windows logged me up in a temporary profile (without telling me...
  5. Using/understanding junctions and links

in Windows 10 Support
    Using/understanding junctions and links: My question is about understanding what a junction or link means. Short version first, longer second. This link: [img] Properties indicates "backup" is a folder is on the C: drive and is 156 GB (C: is a 110 GB SSD). [img] The properties for the files show the C:...
  6. Hard link directory junctions in User folder

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Hard link directory junctions in User folder: So, I am looking for an easy way to redirect Documents, Downloads, Music and Pictures in the user folder to a data drive. I don't want anything permanent that is going to interfere with the Creator's update coming up. Does anyone know if there any ill affects to deleting the...
  7. Symbolic Links (Soft Links)

in Windows 10 Support
    Symbolic Links (Soft Links): Greetings, I have a large number of symbolic links (soft links) on my PC that I want to migrate to a new machine with an identical directory structure. When I use various backup or copy programs that clone files (bit copy), the symbolic links do not work on the target...
  8. junction point/symbolic link query : multiple DOCUMENTS folders

in Windows 10 Support
    junction point/symbolic link query : multiple DOCUMENTS folders: hi my documents folder is on e: as c: is a ssd with limited space. somehow i managed to end up with three 'documents' folders in explorer [actually dopus] of which two contain a few folders and the third one many folders, the latter is my real documents folder. the os will...
  9. How to delete USER FOLDER link

in Windows 10 Support
    How to delete USER FOLDER link: Have been using Win10 for about 6 months when a User folder icon appeared on the Desktop. No idea what I did to make it happen. I believe the Desktop User folder is a link to the C:/Users/file Adding or deleting a file in the C:/Users/file also the same results appear in the...
  10. Symbolic link (Junction/s), how-to mklink? Please help with Junction?

in Windows 10 Support
    Symbolic link (Junction/s), how-to mklink? Please help with Junction?: Hi all, having been a member at Seven then Ten forums for a fair while I'm hoping to find a straight answer here..? Apologies in advance if this is too verbose. Windows 10 system booting from (UEFI) NVME with 2xSSDs + 2 MHDDs for storage... An application (Xperia...