Windows 10: KB4512508 deletes user made junctions and symbolic links

Discus and support KB4512508 deletes user made junctions and symbolic links in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My system was normal today when I booted it up. but after KB4512508 installed it self, before even rebooting the system, all my symbolic links and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Cybot, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Cybot Win User

KB4512508 deletes user made junctions and symbolic links

My system was normal today when I booted it up. but after KB4512508 installed it self, before even rebooting the system, all my symbolic links and junctions got deleted. the did not get broken, they got deleted. the endpoint for the junction no longer exist. and the desktop icons that referred to stuff in the directoried made via junctions are showing as broken. on top of that, Steam opened up when I booted up my system for the day. but after the update installed it self, all of a sudden all my games were saying that the executable was missing. this is what alerted me that something had gone wrong. I am now having to go back and re-create all of my junctions and symbolic links - *SARCASM* THANKS FOR THAT M$! if you were gonna pull this type of stunt with an update the least you could have done is give you userbase a warning. BTW.... all the M$ created junctions and symbolic links are just fine. so it is definitely the update, not anything else. other wise I would have broken junctions and the like. thanks for yet another big FU to your loyal customers.

:)

Cybot, Aug 14, 2019
  2. GDavid Win User

Symbolic link (Junction/s), how-to mklink? Please help with Junction?

Hi all, having been a member at Seven then Ten forums for a fair while I'm hoping to find a straight answer here..? Apologies in advance if this is too verbose.
    Windows 10 system booting from (UEFI) NVME with 2xSSDs + 2 MHDDs for storage...

An application (Xperia Companion) which will not let me select or personalise the location for saving backups of my cellular phone data...

Think I found a fair definition of the differences at the Computer hope site which would suggest it's a Junction I need:
    I want Xperia companion to save backups to F:\Sony Backups NOT the default C:\Users\GD\Documents\Sony. Would the Junction (link) allow me to to fulfill my wants and could someone please demonstrate the mklink commands needed?

with thanks and regards,
    Dave

GDavid, Aug 14, 2019
  3. SYmbolic Links and Junctions

rd /s <name>

All versions of Win10 have mklink that can make both dir symbolic links and junctions. Create a dir junction for your use case using
    mklink /j.

Define "better". I'm sure there are apps that do the same thing, either independently by calling the Win32 API functions or by acting as mere frontends to mklink itself. IMO if you can use mklink properly why should you need anything else?

RobertJWin, Aug 14, 2019
  4. J_J_MAC Win User

SYmbolic Links and Junctions

In Windows 10 Pro , I am attempting to move the User Data directory C:\Users\m\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data to D:\Chrome Cache and Profile\User Data. In connection with that I added the following command in the Command Prompt window (run as administrator)
    to make a junction.

mklink /J "C:\Users\m\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data" "D:\Chrome Cache and Profile\User Data"

I was following the procedure outlined here

Change Cache Location In Google Chrome

However the link is not working perhaps because I did not get the User Data directory moved correctly to D:\Chrome Cache and Profile\. I have the following questions

1. How do I delete the Junction link I made so I can start over? I prefer to use the Command Prompt window rather than find it in Explorer and delete it there because t when I go looking for it in Explorer I can't find it.

2. Does Windows 10 Pro allow Junctions to be made or should I use a Symbolic Link to D:\Chrome Cache and Profile\User Data? Which would be best if both can be used?

3. Is mklink via the command prompt the best way to do this? Or is there a better way?

I used a number of symbolic links on another computer a few years ago moving some directories from a small solid state drive to a larger hard drive and had no problem.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

J_J_MAC, Aug 14, 2019
Thema:

1. KB4512508 deletes user made junctions and symbolic links - Similar Threads - KB4512508 deletes user

2. EdgeDev App fails to load when EdgeDev data is on junction symbolic link

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EdgeDev App fails to load when EdgeDev data is on junction symbolic link: Hi all,Have been using EdgeDev, EdgeBeta & Edge for years with the User Data folder stored on an internal HDD F: while the main program files are installed on C: OS SSD. This is to prevent wear of my SSD with constant read/writes by the browsers. Many other apps are installed...
  3. How do I mass delete symbolic links or directory junctions in a folder without deleting the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I mass delete symbolic links or directory junctions in a folder without deleting the...: How do I mass delete symbolic links in a folder without deleting the folder itself, or any other file or folder?How do I mass delete symbolic links or directory junctions in a folder without deleting the folder itself, or any other file or folder?...
  4. How do I mass delete symbolic links or directory junctions in a folder without deleting the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I mass delete symbolic links or directory junctions in a folder without deleting the...: How do I mass delete symbolic links in a folder without deleting the folder itself, or any other file or folder?How do I mass delete symbolic links or directory junctions in a folder without deleting the folder itself, or any other file or folder?...
  5. Symbolic link deletion

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Symbolic link deletion: Hello,I am having an issue. When I have tried to remove symlink using commands del, mkdir, unlink etc, they not helped to unlink. Either access is denied or file is not ok. I can't create and create a new symlink....
  6. Is it safe to create a junction link to my Users folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it safe to create a junction link to my Users folder?: I'm running out of space on my C: drive but have a ton of space on my D: drive. Is it safe or even possible to move my Users folder to my D: drive and create a junction link to my C: drive? submitted by /u/Itch_X [link] [comments]...
  7. Chrome Appcrash when using symbolic link or junction for User Data

in Browsers and Email
    Chrome Appcrash when using symbolic link or junction for User Data: Greetings, See below a copy of a post on Google Chrome Support Forum. No reply received and closed now. Two simple questions : a. Does anyone else observe this problem when pointing Chrome User Data to another drive. b. Any suggestion on how to tackle this problem....
  8. Hard link directory junctions in User folder

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Hard link directory junctions in User folder: So, I am looking for an easy way to redirect Documents, Downloads, Music and Pictures in the user folder to a data drive. I don't want anything permanent that is going to interfere with the Creator's update coming up. Does anyone know if there any ill affects to deleting the...
  9. junction point/symbolic link query : multiple DOCUMENTS folders

in Windows 10 Support
    junction point/symbolic link query : multiple DOCUMENTS folders: hi my documents folder is on e: as c: is a ssd with limited space. somehow i managed to end up with three 'documents' folders in explorer [actually dopus] of which two contain a few folders and the third one many folders, the latter is my real documents folder. the os will...
  10. Symbolic link (Junction/s), how-to mklink? Please help with Junction?

in Windows 10 Support
    Symbolic link (Junction/s), how-to mklink? Please help with Junction?: Hi all, having been a member at Seven then Ten forums for a fair while I'm hoping to find a straight answer here..? Apologies in advance if this is too verbose. Windows 10 system booting from (UEFI) NVME with 2xSSDs + 2 MHDDs for storage... An application (Xperia...
Tags: