Windows 10: KB4589212 update for Intel CPUs received on machine with AMD CPU. Can't skip it. I think it...

Discus and support KB4589212 update for Intel CPUs received on machine with AMD CPU. Can't skip it. I think it... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I just got KB4589212 Update pop up so it's going to be installed next reboot. This update is microcode for INTEL processors and I have AMD processor so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Sunlighthell, Mar 14, 2021.

1. KB4589212 update for Intel CPUs received on machine with AMD CPU. Can't skip it. I think it...

I just got KB4589212 Update pop up so it's going to be installed next reboot. This update is microcode for INTEL processors and I have AMD processor so I'm 99.9% percent sure it's going to break something. It's even stated on update page to install only for selected Intel CPUs yet I can't skip it. WTF is that and why Microsoft delivering this to machines without intel processors?

submitted by /u/Sunlighthell
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Sunlighthell, Mar 14, 2021
  2. pvrcs Win User

windows update downloads Intel update on an AMD cpu

Windows 10: New Intel Microcode for Spectre V3a, V4 & L1TF Gets Released states:

"Spectre Variant 4 ( white paper ) got
    discovered at Google's Project Zero. Like Specter Variant 1, this vulnerability can be plugged into customization in applications, with Specter V1's existing measures benefiting Specter V4 as well. However, to prevent the gap from being exploited through other
    means, Intel and Partners have decided to re-adjust the CPU microcode as well. It also contains countermeasures against variant 3a, which cost no performance. Variation 4 affects
    AMD, ARM, IBM and Intel."

I am experiencing a performance hit in my video editing software. But THIS is why you received the update though you have an AMD cpu.

Found this today -

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/c0rozj/downloaded_kb4465065_intel_mitigation_on_ryzen/

KB4465065: Intel microcode updates
    Important Install this update for the listed processors only.

However comments in this article say

- It's a microcode update, you have nothing to worry about.

- Perhaps these mitigations are coded to NOT activate on an AMD CPU.

- If this is a microcode update then this CAN NOT activate on an AMD processor and it wouldnt even work/allow it.

Yes Spectre 4 affects AMD processors but this update was for listed Intel processors only.

Why is it that we can find information online but Microsoft can't tell you anything or even reply to my support email????

pvrcs, Mar 14, 2021
  3. AMD CPU vs INTEL CPU

I have been using an old Hewllet-Packard computer WITH AN "AMD CPU." Just purchased a shiny new HP computer WITH AN "INTEL CPU." Both computers are desktops. Also purchased Laplink. My thinking was to transfer "everything" from old computer to new one, but
    now I'm not sure I can do that. Will transfer work OK?

ElliottGeeOP, Mar 14, 2021
  4. KB4589212 update for Intel CPUs received on machine with AMD CPU. Can't skip it. I think it...

windows update downloads Intel update on an AMD cpu

Windows 10: New Intel Microcode for Spectre V3a, V4 & L1TF Gets Released states:

"Spectre Variant 4 ( white paper ) got
    discovered at Google's Project Zero. Like Specter Variant 1, this vulnerability can be plugged into customization in applications, with Specter V1's existing measures benefiting Specter V4 as well. However, to prevent the gap from being exploited through other
    means, Intel and Partners have decided to re-adjust the CPU microcode as well. It also contains countermeasures against variant 3a, which cost no performance. Variation 4 affects
    AMD, ARM, IBM and Intel."

I am experiencing a performance hit in my video editing software. But THIS is why you received the update though you have an AMD cpu.

TonyRhodes3, Mar 14, 2021
Thema:

KB4589212 update for Intel CPUs received on machine with AMD CPU. Can't skip it. I think it...

1. KB4589212 update for Intel CPUs received on machine with AMD CPU. Can't skip it. I think it... - Similar Threads - KB4589212 update Intel

2. Intel 7th gen CPUs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Intel 7th gen CPUs: Can anyone from Microsoft itself tell me why the 7th gen got excluded from the compatibility list, except of all things the HEDT chips of said generation, AND the CPU that runs Microsoft's own Surface laptop the 7820?I'm furious....
  3. Intel 7th gen CPUs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Intel 7th gen CPUs: Can anyone from Microsoft itself tell me why the 7th gen got excluded from the compatibility list, except of all things the HEDT chips of said generation, AND the CPU that runs Microsoft's own Surface laptop the 7820?I'm furious....
  4. KB4589212 Update Causing HAVOC on my AMD Desktop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    KB4589212 Update Causing HAVOC on my AMD Desktop: Hi all, I recently purchased an AMD computer, which has been working fine for a couple of weeks. I got the updates through and thought it wouldn't hurt to update security settings etc..I also had the cumulative updates to install..in particular KB4589212 for x64 based...
  5. KB4589212 Intel Microcode Updates Windows 10 v2004 and v20H2 - Jan. 25

in Windows 10 News
    KB4589212 Intel Microcode Updates Windows 10 v2004 and v20H2 - Jan. 25: KB4589212: Intel microcode updates for Windows 10, version 2004 and 20H2, and Windows Server, version 2004 and 20H2 Applies to: Windows 10 version 2004 all editions, Windows 10 version 20H2 all editions, Windows Server version 2004, Windows Server version 20H2 Note For...
  6. Windows 10 KB4589212 released with Intel microcode fixes

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 KB4589212 released with Intel microcode fixes: To prevent potential security issues, Microsoft has published a new software update for Windows 10. The latest update is rolling out to those with Windows 10 version 20H2 (October 2020 Update) or older. For those on Windows 10 version 20H2 or version 2004, they’ll be getting...
  7. KB4589212 Intel Microcode Updates Windows 10 v2004 and v20H2 - Nov.10

in Windows 10 News
    KB4589212 Intel Microcode Updates Windows 10 v2004 and v20H2 - Nov.10: KB4589212: Intel microcode updates for Windows 10, version 2004 and 20H2, and Windows Server, version 2004 and 20H2 Applies to: Windows 10 version 2004 all editions, Windows 10 version 20H2 all editions, Windows Server version 2004, Windows Server version 20H2 Note For...
  8. windows update downloads Intel update on an AMD cpu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows update downloads Intel update on an AMD cpu: Why did I get an update for (KB4465065) when I have an AMD cpu. Has this happened to anyone else and what did you do? Went through Microsoft chat and they could not answer my question....
  9. AMD Athlon CPUs on W10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    AMD Athlon CPUs on W10: I have a client who had an issue after upgrading W10. These are the specs: HP Pavilion p6754y Magnesium Gray Edition Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP®Â*Support We had a problem with performance. TM showed CPU usage was in the 90s. After a lot of working msconfig,...
  10. Latest Intel CPUs

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Latest Intel CPUs: I love keeping up on the latest and greatest, and Intel is at it again! Say hello to the 10 core, 20 thread i7-6950x: http://ark.intel.com/products/94456/Intel-Core-i7-6950X-Processor-Extreme-Edition-25M-Cache-up-to-3_50-GHz Obviously between the fact that very few if any...