Windows 10: KB4598291 affects shutdown. Sleep OK, shutdown never completes.

Discus and support KB4598291 affects shutdown. Sleep OK, shutdown never completes. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 Pro, version 19042.789, on ASROCK Z68M. Since KB4598291 was installed, the shutdown function never completes. It appears to write... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by TD47, Feb 9, 2021.

1. TD47 Win User

KB4598291 affects shutdown. Sleep OK, shutdown never completes.

I have Windows 10 Pro, version 19042.789, on ASROCK Z68M.

Since KB4598291 was installed, the shutdown function never completes. It appears to write the kernel image to the HDD, then stops, and no transition to OFF state. NOTE: Fastboot, and Hibernate are both off.

Things done so far so please don't suggest these:

sfc /scannow only a couple of minor issues with onedrive links fixed - no difference after reboot.

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth nothing found, clean

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth no problem found

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth no problem found

Booted into safe mode, tested shutdown, and this clearly showed that the "shutdown" function stalled right at the end with the white spinning dots stopped.

OK, this only needs the power button to be held for 5 seconds to actually turn off, but it is VERY irritating to find a perfectly good desktop system that has been very stable, have this bug introduced by an "optional preview" update all other preview updates have been fine in this system. This will be the LAST TIME I ever install a "preview" update, I refuse to be a guinea-pig Beta tester for Microsoft.

Have any other users had power control shutdown or related issues with this update?

I have already reported this on Feedback Hub, but I am NOT holding my breath, as it sits in a cesspit of miriad and diverse "problem" reports, many written by users who don't know the difference between the OS and a program, or what a browser actually is or does, and dont even bother to report OS version, what program fails, or what the error code is, and just say "its broke fix it"!

:)

TD47, Feb 9, 2021
  2. sandeepb Win User

Shutdown Timer I Made

Shutdown Timer v3.1

Features:
    • Shutdown
    • Restart
    • Logoff
    • Lock
    • Hibernate
    • Standby
    • Monitor Standby
    • Open a File
    • Open a WebPage
    • Based on Date & Time
    • CPU/Memory Utilisation
    • CPU Temperature using Core Temp
    • Networking options
    • Process Management
    • Idle Usage
    • Wakeup Timer - Wakeup from sleep!
    • Integrated Updater
    • Ability to save your settings for furture use
    • Completely Portable, You can take it on a USB if you want to!
    • 32 & 64 Bit compatible versions

KB4598291 affects shutdown. Sleep OK, shutdown never completes. m8z8ma.jpg

Download and information here

Feedback would be great on it. Thanks

sandeepb, Feb 9, 2021
  3. Shutdown and Sleep Problem

I have Windows 10 in my HP Pavilion 15 Laptop. I am not able to shutdown my laptop even not able to put my laptop on sleep mode.

Whenever, I shutdown my laptop its screen became blank and hard disk stop running while power button & Power led still show light. In that situation, I have to push power button for 3-5 second then laptop get completely shutdown.

Same situation is with sleep mode, Whenever, I put my laptop on sleep, its screen became blank and hard disk stop running while power button & Power led still show light. In that situation, I have to push power button for 3-5 second then laptop get completely
    shutdown instead of sleep.

For shutdown my laptop i have to restart my laptop and after that restart is shutdown easily. same condition with sleep, Means, I have to restart every time to make shutdown and sleep.

Please guide me to solve the problem.

LyonsBarryIncWest Bengal, Feb 9, 2021
  4. KB4598291 affects shutdown. Sleep OK, shutdown never completes.

Shutdown & Sleep bug

Hello there,

I'm having Dell Inspiron 5547 when it was shipped it came with windows 8.1 64-bit with no issues of SLEEP & SHUTDOWN but when updated to windows 10 my laptop started having issues with SLEEP & SHUTDOWN.

1)When I close the lid or keep the system in sleep mode it never wakes up its need a hard boot or need to have forced shutdown by pressing the power button, still no patch for the bug is available.

2)when the system is shutdown it continues to draw power from the battery and in morning the battery is completely drained.

Have gone through entire suggestion given by Microsoft engineer & community member but had no solution.

Hence contacted Dell support but they told its Microsoft's problem hence contacted them below is the list of tickets so generated with no solution:-

Finally one of the Microsoft executive said it's an issue with the DELL drivers when contacted to DELL they said its an issue of MICROSOFT and they have in written from Microsoft that both issue are because of WINDOWS 10.

I'm feeling like a football who is been kicked from one goalpost to another with no goal scored...

Now what should be the final solution as now I can't rollback to windows 8.1 as I'm way past the grace period for rollback???

ankur_patel, Feb 9, 2021
Thema:

KB4598291 affects shutdown. Sleep OK, shutdown never completes.

1. KB4598291 affects shutdown. Sleep OK, shutdown never completes. - Similar Threads - KB4598291 affects shutdown

2. Laptop will never shutdown fully.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop will never shutdown fully.: Been having an issue for a while were my laptop acts like it's turned off, but upon "rebooting" it will show a run time of hours, days, even weeks. The only way to reset the run time is a full restart. Why does my computer never fully shut down when I tell it to shut down? It...
  3. Laptop will never shutdown fully.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop will never shutdown fully.: Been having an issue for a while were my laptop acts like it's turned off, but upon "rebooting" it will show a run time of hours, days, even weeks. The only way to reset the run time is a full restart. Why does my computer never fully shut down when I tell it to shut down? It...
  4. Sleep vs shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sleep vs shutdown: I just bought a new hard drive that is running Windows 11 Professional. Is it better to shut down the computer at the end of the day use it occasionally throughout the day, or is it better to have it go into sleep mode?Thanks,Carol...
  5. Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep?: I'm using AMD laptop. Which is best to use? Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep? I heard Macbook are recommended to use Sleep, Does it same to Windows laptop? Which three consume more and least power?...
  6. Sleep changes to shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sleep changes to shutdown: When i put my laptop on sleep and when i try to wake it up after apprximately 30 mins .i saw that the laptop has shut down when it was on sleep...plz fiz it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sleep-changes-to-shutdown/52944a22-93e2-41e6-a143-6c4c01b9ee08
  7. Shutdown and Sleep Problem

Shutdown and Sleep Problem: I have Windows 10 in my HP Pavilion 15 Laptop. I am not able to shutdown my laptop even not able to put my laptop on sleep mode. Whenever, I shutdown my laptop its screen became blank and hard disk stop running while power button & Power led still show light. In that...
  8. Sleep/shutdown problems

Sleep/shutdown problems: I have been suffering from a wake from sleep/on from shutdown problem for a while now. On all current updated windows 10 20.04, chipset drivers for mobo mobo and processor, current radeon drivers for gpu. All current optional windows drivers have been tried as well. My rig:...
  9. Sleep and Shutdown

Sleep and Shutdown: This problem is really ridiculous. There are 3 pc's in the house and the main oneMINE has the problem.I have tried everything in all the previous folks that have the same problem to no sleep or shutdown. I have been just turning off monitors so they aren't damaged,if that...
  10. Monitor will not sleep on shutdown

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Monitor will not sleep on shutdown: Hi, I just changed from DVI to HDMI and now when I shutdown my computer my monitor will not enter sleep mode, and will display 'Cable Not Connected' as shown in the image attached. Any help would be appreciated, thanks. [img] 36724
Tags: