Windows 10: KB4601050 causes an exception when docking a Tool Window in a VS2015 Shell Isolated application

Discus and support KB4601050 causes an exception when docking a Tool Window in a VS2015 Shell Isolated application in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; We have an application that was developed using .NET 4.8 and the Visual Studio 2015 Shell Isolated. This application is now crashing whenever a tool... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by ACordner, Feb 12, 2021.

1. ACordner Win User

KB4601050 causes an exception when docking a Tool Window in a VS2015 Shell Isolated application

We have an application that was developed using .NET 4.8 and the Visual Studio 2015 Shell Isolated. This application is now crashing whenever a tool window is docked following the update to KB4601050.

I have tried adding the switches to the app.config file as indicated in the KB article, but it has no effect.

<configuration>

<runtime>

<AppContextSwitchOverrides value="Switch.System.Windows.Interop.MouseInput.OptOutOfMoveToChromedWindowFix=true; Switch.System.Windows.Interop.MouseInput.DoNotOptOutOfMoveToChromedWindowFix=true" />

</runtime>

</configuration>

What options do I have to remedy this situation?

Application: xxxxx.exe

Framework Version: v4.0.30319

Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.

Exception Info: System.NullReferenceException

at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.HasCustomChromeSystem.Windows.Interop.HwndSource, RECT ByRef

at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.GetEffectiveClientRectIntPtr

at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.PossiblyDeactivateIntPtr, Boolean

at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.Dispose
    at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.FilterMessageIntPtr, MS.Internal.Interop.WindowMessage, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef
    at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.InputFilterMessageIntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef
    at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProcIntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef
    at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperationSystem.Object
    at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCallSystem.Delegate, System.Object, Int32
    at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhenSystem.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate
    at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImplSystem.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32
    at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProcIntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr

:)

ACordner, Feb 12, 2021
  2. Wile E Win User

Handy OS X Tools and Apps

You should add VLC to that list. Plays most anything, except WMV/WMA.

And are we sticking to free tools? Cause I have suggestions for some that cost money, but are well worth it IMHO.

Wile E, Feb 12, 2021
  3. Unhandled exception in F12Script.dll

Hi,

I am developing an application in VS2015 and I have recently upgraded to windows 10. Now every time I start the application using Internet explorer and try to view the Developer tools I get an exception: "An unhandled exception ('object Object') occurred
    in iexplorer.exe" and a list of available debuggers.

After I choose VS2015 I can see what the error is: "Unhandled exception at line 57, column 72496 in res://C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\F12\F12Script.dll/23/pluginhost/plugin.f12.js 0x800a139e - JavaScript

runtime error: [object Object]"

What was different on Windows7 that I was not getting this error? Is this error an Internet Explorer error or Visual Studio error

Dan_Schaeffler, Feb 12, 2021
  4. David Haz Win User

KB4601050 causes an exception when docking a Tool Window in a VS2015 Shell Isolated application

unhandled exception has occurred in your application if you click continue the application will.......

Hello,

An unhandled exceptions occur in Windows if there are system components in your system that are damaged or corrupted. For us to isolate the issue in getting an unhandled exception error, kindly respond to the questions below:

• Have you made any significant changes to your device prior to the issue? If yes, what are they?
    • Are there other accounts in your device? If there are, does the error come up when you log in to them?
    • Are there third-party applications installed on your device?

For isolation purposes, we suggest that you start your PC in Safe Mode and see if the error appears when you log
    in. This is for us to see if the error is caused by a third-party application or by a system component.

We look forward to an update from you.

David Haz, Feb 12, 2021
Thema:

1. KB4601050 causes an exception when docking a Tool Window in a VS2015 Shell Isolated application - Similar Threads - KB4601050 causes exception

2. Unhandled Exceptions causing Application crashes intermittently

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unhandled Exceptions causing Application crashes intermittently: ************* Preparing the environment for Debugger Extensions Gallery repositories ************** ExtensionRepository : Implicit UseExperimentalFeatureForNugetShare : true AllowNugetExeUpdate : true AllowNugetMSCredentialProviderInstall : true...
  3. Unhandled Exceptions causing Application crashes intermittently

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unhandled Exceptions causing Application crashes intermittently: ************* Preparing the environment for Debugger Extensions Gallery repositories ************** ExtensionRepository : Implicit UseExperimentalFeatureForNugetShare : true AllowNugetExeUpdate : true AllowNugetMSCredentialProviderInstall : true...
  4. Unhandled Exceptions causing Application crashes intermittently

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Discoloration on applications except for dock bar Windows 11 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Discoloration on applications except for dock bar Windows 11 Pro: Hello Microsoft!Just in the past 2 days, for no reason at all, my computer has been discolored. I noticed that, when using applications such as Discord or Chrome even, everything turns to a purple-ish hue. This has not every happened to me before, as I have just switched to a...
  6. Discoloration on applications except for dock bar Windows 11 Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Discoloration on applications except for dock bar Windows 11 Pro: Hello Microsoft!Just in the past 2 days, for no reason at all, my computer has been discolored. I noticed that, when using applications such as Discord or Chrome even, everything turns to a purple-ish hue. This has not every happened to me before, as I have just switched to a...
  7. KB4601050 update

in Windows 10 Customization
    KB4601050 update: unable to close phone icon in taskbar in windows 10 after KB4601050 update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/kb4601050-update/ced5107d-2784-48ae-8c93-05e10dd273c2
  8. Windows 20H2 Cumulative update KB4601050 causes .NET Frame Work Unhandled exception issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 20H2 Cumulative update KB4601050 causes .NET Frame Work Unhandled exception issue: I have got an strange issue after updating windows KB4601050 update . When I restart the PC every time the message pops up it reads .NET Frame Work "Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and...
  9. Stuck at VS2015 isolated shell - can't remove it - can't re-install it - yet not working.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Stuck at VS2015 isolated shell - can't remove it - can't re-install it - yet not working.: Long story short, I am trying to install MS Visual Studio 2015 isolated shell en-US, as is needed for another application. That installation does not go anywhere, as nothing happens except the logo showing up on the screen for about 5-20 seconds and then it disappears. I...
  10. Visual Studio Build Tools now include the VS2017 and VS2015 MSVC Tools

in Windows 10 News
    Visual Studio Build Tools now include the VS2017 and VS2015 MSVC Tools: The Visual C++ Build tools have been a huge success since we introduced them two years ago. The C++ Build Tools were originally released as a standalone installer that only laid down the tools required to build C++ projects without installing the Visual Studio IDE. Many...
Tags: