Windows 10: KB5001330 Windows Update is reportedly causing performance drop in games, failed installs...

Discus and support KB5001330 Windows Update is reportedly causing performance drop in games, failed installs... in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft released the KB5001330 Windows Update this Tuesday, which brought many security fixes. Unfortunately it also seems to have introduced some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Apr 15, 2021.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

KB5001330 Windows Update is reportedly causing performance drop in games, failed installs...

Microsoft released the KB5001330 Windows Update this Tuesday, which brought many security fixes. Unfortunately it also seems to have introduced some issues, at least on some devices.

KB5001330 Windows Update is reportedly causing performance drop in games, failed installs... 330-Windows-Update-is-reportedly-causing-performance-drop-in-games-failed-installs-and-bootloops.jpg
    A handful of users on reddit have reported that the latest update causes performance drops in games. The troubles first surfaced in KB5000842, and has since reemerged in the latest patch. Well, you may say that Microsoft hasn't fixed it yet.

The primary issue appears to be frame drops in games, and this appears to be related to the VSync setting. Other issues reported by users include lag spikes, i.e., a sudden massive slowdown or stutter that happens for a few seconds.

I'm familiar with the problem that the users are reporting, as I experienced a similar issue on this computer last year (especially in Rise of the Tomb Raider and Assassin's Creed Origins). The lags were caused by the Nvidia 451.67 game ready driver, and this was delivered through Windows Update. I had to revert to an older video driver to fix the annoyances, so you could try a similar solution if you have such lags.

I wanted to check if I experience similar issues with the latest patch, so I tested the KB5001330 update with my GTX 1650, and had no such troubles. Based on the comments from users, it is possible that the issue only affects newer GPUs like the NVidia 2000, 3000 and AMD R5 series. The thread also suggests an easy fix for the issue, you just have to uninstall the update. You can do so from the Settings > Update & Security > View Update History page.

So, if you're a gamer and are experiencing poor performance, low frame rates in games that used to run flawlessly until a few days ago, it is likely that the KB5001330 Windows Update could be the culprit. Once you have gotten rid of it, your games should work as normal.

Digging deeper, I noticed that this wasn't the only issue reported by users. Members at the Microsoft Community forums have stated that they have encountered issues with the KB5001330 Windows Update failing to install. The error code for this is 0x800f0984. Some groups say they got a different error, with the code 0x800f081f. This specific issue is related to Windows Update being unable to fetch the patch from Microsoft's servers.

If Windows Update says that it cannot download the patches, the solution that has been recommended by a Microsoft moderator is to reset WSUS (Windows Update Service and Agent). Some users say they encountered a problem that is more serious, as they were greeted by bootloops with the stop code 0xc000021a after installing the update. A couple of others seem to have experienced screen flickering that happens when resizing Chrome or Edge windows.

Reference links: 1, 2

If you haven't updated to KB5001330 yet, and want to avoid this particular patch, you can pause Windows Updates for a week or two. I usually create a restore point before installing major updates just to be on the safer side, maybe that is something that you could find helpful.

Have you experienced problems with the KB5001330 update? Share your experience and fixes with other users.

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post KB5001330 Windows Update is reportedly causing performance drop in games, failed installs and bootloops appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Apr 15, 2021
  2. jds21 Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I just did step one and they have just all installed.... thank you so much.... it was quite frustrating having that update window pop up every 5 minutes and failing to instal every time

Thanks mate

jds21, Apr 15, 2021
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Apr 15, 2021
  4. KB5001330 Windows Update is reportedly causing performance drop in games, failed installs...

Games cause the computer to freeze seconds after opening them for Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for providing us the troubleshooting steps that you have performed.

I suggest to run the game in compatibility mode by following the steps below and check if it helps.

• Right click on the ‘Setup’ icon for the game and click on properties.

• Under Compatibility tab, check the option for ‘Run in Compatibility mode’.

• Select Windows 8.1 from the drop down list.

• Click on Apply and then OK.

Please revert with the result of the issue and we will be happy to help you.

Guru Kiran G, Apr 15, 2021
Thema:

KB5001330 Windows Update is reportedly causing performance drop in games, failed installs...

1. KB5001330 Windows Update is reportedly causing performance drop in games, failed installs... - Similar Threads - KB5001330 Update reportedly

2. Update causing horrible gaming performance?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update causing horrible gaming performance?: Went through and updated my MSI laptop 12900H and 3080ti. I was not updating from Windows 10 to 11. Just simply checked for updates to the current system and did so. Ever since I've updated, my games run like TRASH. MW2 running at 130fps before, now getting 40-50fps and my...
  3. Update causing horrible gaming performance?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Update causing horrible gaming performance?: Went through and updated my MSI laptop 12900H and 3080ti. I was not updating from Windows 10 to 11. Just simply checked for updates to the current system and did so. Ever since I've updated, my games run like TRASH. MW2 running at 130fps before, now getting 40-50fps and my...
  4. KB5001330 Causing Gaming issues.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    KB5001330 Causing Gaming issues.: I am one of the many affected with this new update, for 2 days now I cannot play Halo the master chief collection due to intense FPS drops and frame shuttering, from what I know I'm not the only one having this issue others have reported on reddit that they can't play certain...
  5. Windows update KB5001330 not installing

Windows update KB5001330 not installing: Hey community i am getting a problem of windows update.i was planning to install KB5000802 update on 13 april 2021 but it was replaced with KB5001330 so i downloaded it and it stucked at 100%. Then i pause the update and resume it again. when it was downloaded it again stuck...
  6. Failed to install update KB5001330 - Error 0x8007000d

Failed to install update KB5001330 - Error 0x8007000d: Error 0x8007000d when attempting to install KB5001330 2021-04 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems No issues with DISM and SFC is fine. Other updates have installed fine. Below is the end of my CBS.log if it helps....
  7. A Question About Failed Update KB5001330

A Question About Failed Update KB5001330: Guys, Going online and researching this, there are a ton of problems with update KB5001330. See my post here: If You are Running Windows 10 Version 2004, This Update May Not - Microsoft Community My system has been trying to install it multiple times for the last five...
  8. Update KB5001330 fails to install

Update KB5001330 fails to install: As part of the current 'Patch Tuesday' windows updates there is a Cumulative update KB50001330. This update fails to install on my desktop PC with the error code 0x800f0984. My installation of Windows10 is insider build 19043.899, Version 21H1. The update fails to install...
  9. Windows 10 update reportedly fails to install, causes random reboots

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 update reportedly fails to install, causes random reboots: Users on various forums are reporting issues when trying to install the August 2019 cumulative updates for Windows 10. These updates were released on August 13 for Windows 10 version 1903, version 1809 and other supported versions with multiple bug fixes. Some Windows 10...
  10. Windows 10 KB4482887 is reportedly causing gaming performance issues

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 KB4482887 is reportedly causing gaming performance issues: On March 1, 2019, Microsoft began pushing out Windows 10 KB4482887 to October 2018 Update machines. This cumulative update advances the system to Windows 10 Build 17763.348 and it comes with tons of improvements, including support for Retpoline which will eventually improve...