Windows 10: KDE Plasma runs on WSL 2

Discus and support KDE Plasma runs on WSL 2 in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] Oh boy. No one told me graphical interface works natively on WSL 2. I managed to run the KDE plasma on ubuntu in wsl 2. Note: this is not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/psedha10, Aug 27, 2020.

1. KDE Plasma runs on WSL 2

/u/psedha10, Aug 27, 2020
  2. jimbo45 Win User

UBUNTU VM with KDE Plasma GUI - without whole KUBUNTU overhead

Hi folks.

For Ubuntu users who still like the much nicer (by far IMO) KDE Plasma GUI but don't want the whole KUBUNTU overhead you can do it this way

open a terminal and simply type : sudo apt-get install plasma-desktop

Note though before logging in to the plasma desktop you will need to install a terminal (console) program so after installing the plasma desktop also type : sudo apt-get install konsole. it's called Konsole no typo !!.

Now logout and you can login to the much nicer KDE environment without all the overhead -- you need to install then whatever KDE apps you want in addition - I'd suggest samba and dolphin (the file manager).

Finally to run a GUI type file browser in SU mode you'll have to use Nautilus from the console) type "sudo Nautilus" ignore the messages and you'll get the file browser in su mode and you can edit / create / save files in root directories such as /etc/samba/smb.conf.

I don't like the Gnome desktop if i'm using a GUI --- KDE is so much nicer, more configurable and for Windows users a lot more familiar.

KDE Plasma runs on WSL 2 [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 27, 2020
  3. WSL 2

I want to make use of WSL 2 feature with the new update of Windows version 2004 , in order to use WSL 2 i need to enable Virtualization in my pc bios settings. So when i enable virtualization my windows starts lagging and all the animations of scrolling
    etc etc lags...Please suggest me something to fix that so that i could use the new virtualization feature.

Legend Hunter 3, Aug 27, 2020
  4. jimbo45 Win User

KDE Plasma runs on WSL 2

UBUNTU VM with KDE Plasma GUI - without whole KUBUNTU overhead

Hi there
    @SIW2
    yes just do sudo apt-get install <name of application>

For example I still like old fashioned spider solitaire (without the ads on the Ms store) so type sudo apt-get install kpat

KDE Plasma runs on WSL 2 [​IMG]

Don't forget of course to install the Konsole app before installing any other app or you'll have to use the terminal on the GNOME desktop.

A good bit torrent client is deluge and also tor browser install easily.

Have fun

cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 27, 2020
Thema:

KDE Plasma runs on WSL 2

1. KDE Plasma runs on WSL 2 - Similar Threads - KDE Plasma runs

2. Upgrade to WSL 2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrade to WSL 2: I installed WSL using `wsl --install`. It installed WSL 1 not 2. In the meantime I loaded Ubuntu and made several customizations there. Can I upgrade to WSL 2 and preserve this Ubuntu dstribution?...
  3. WSL 2 Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Customization
    WSL 2 Ubuntu: Hello Sir/Ma'am, I'm using Windows Subsystem for linux version 2 to use Ubuntu and recently I've found out that my Ubuntu terminal is not giving any output when I type "Who" command. Can anybody help me? Thank you....
  4. Linux VM's - KDE plasma 5.20 available

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Linux VM's - KDE plasma 5.20 available: Hi folks for those trying Linux VM's why not give KDE plasma a try as the GUI (assuming you want a GUI on your Linux VM). Available for most distros . It says beta but the proper release is out. KDE Plasma 5.20 Beta is out. Final Release Next Month. IMO it's the best GUI...
  5. WSL 2

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    WSL 2: I want to make use of WSL 2 feature with the new update of Windows version 2004 , in order to use WSL 2 i need to enable Virtualization in my pc bios settings. So when i enable virtualization my windows starts lagging and all the animations of scrolling etc etc lags...Please...
  6. SSH to wsl 2

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSH to wsl 2: Anyone know how to get ssh to work in windows wsl 2? I've followed some guides, but I'm still getting connection refused when I try to ssh into my windows ip, or it just hangs when I ssh into the wsl ip submitted by /u/MrDroo [link] [comments]...
  7. Cannot run GUI app on WSL 2

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot run GUI app on WSL 2: I want to open some GUI apps on WSL 2 using Windows Insider 19640, but it doesn't work. For example, if I want to open gthumb in Ubuntu terminal, it throws an error: lemma@DESKTOP-TE65AIF:~$ xhost + xhost: unable to open display ":0" lemma@DESKTOP-TE65AIF:~$ gthumb...
  8. WSL 1 to WSL 2 Upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    WSL 1 to WSL 2 Upgrade: Been using Windows Subsytem for Linux for some time. How do I get it upgrade to WSL 2. 132527
  9. UBUNTU VM with KDE Plasma GUI - without whole KUBUNTU overhead

UBUNTU VM with KDE Plasma GUI - without whole KUBUNTU overhead: Hi folks. For Ubuntu users who still like the much nicer (by far IMO) KDE Plasma GUI but don't want the whole KUBUNTU overhead you can do it this way open a terminal and simply type : sudo apt-get install plasma-desktop Note though before logging in to the plasma...
  10. UBUNTU and derivitives - edit files as root with KDE Plasma

UBUNTU and derivitives - edit files as root with KDE Plasma: Hi there If you need a GUI editor to edit files as root e.g samba.conf then from the console / terminal : hrafn@siggi:~$ SUDO_EDITOR=kate sudoedit /etc/samba/samba.conf [sudo] password for hrafn: Then you'll get into the editor in root mode - the above example...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. wsl2 kde

2. kde wsl2

3. wsl 2 kubuntu

4. kate kde wsl2,
  5. kde on wsl2,
  6. plasma wsl2