Windows 10: Keep elevated powershell in Windows Terminal

Discus and support Keep elevated powershell in Windows Terminal in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm running Windows Terminal v.1.6.10571.0 and love having my Ubuntu, CMD and Powershell sessions all in WT. However, a few things I need to regularly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by C-fromEngland, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Keep elevated powershell in Windows Terminal

I'm running Windows Terminal v.1.6.10571.0 and love having my Ubuntu, CMD and Powershell sessions all in WT. However, a few things I need to regularly do require me to elevate powershell. When I do this with 'Start-Process Powershell -Verb RunAs' it launches the elevated PS session in a new PS window.

Is there a way to keep it in WT?

Or alternatively is there a way to launch WT as admin and therefore my PS session is already elevated? When I try to launch WT as admin, I get the following error:

Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsTerminal_1.6.10571.0_x64__8...WindowsTerminal.exe'.

Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

If I try to launch an admin WT from a normal WT using 'start-process wt.exe -verb RunAs' I get the following error:

start-process : This command cannot be run due to the error: The system cannot find the file specified.

At line:1 char:1

+ start-process wt.exe -verb RunAs

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: : [Start-Process], InvalidOperationException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvalidOperationException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.StartProcessCommand

:)

C-fromEngland, Mar 3, 2021
  2. abpc555 Win User

non elevated powershell?

Hi,

I read that I can uninstall apps via the powershell (elevated), and I indeed did this. But what surprised me was that even a non-elevated powershell prompt allowed me to uninstall a number of apps as well.

Would this mean that I can even reinstall apps via a non-elevated powershell prompt? If so, is there a way of disabling the powershell?

Thanks.

abpc555, Mar 3, 2021
  3. c12f15dc-7bff-4426-b6c1-6cd384eeb051, Mar 3, 2021
  4. abpc555 Win User

Keep elevated powershell in Windows Terminal

non elevated powershell?

I don't want a standard account user to open a non elevated powershell and install stuff...

abpc555, Mar 3, 2021
Thema:

Keep elevated powershell in Windows Terminal

1. Keep elevated powershell in Windows Terminal - Similar Threads - Keep elevated powershell

2. Replace "Windows Powershell" with "Windows Terminal" in Start Menu?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Replace "Windows Powershell" with "Windows Terminal" in Start Menu?: Hi all, Does anyone know if it's possible to replace the "Windows Powershell" and "Windows Powershell (Admin)" options with "Windows Terminal" in the Start Menu context menu? [img] I know there's an option to toggle between Command Prompt and Powershell in the Settings...
  3. Does Windows Terminal supports all PowerShell and CMD commands?

in Windows 10 Support
    Does Windows Terminal supports all PowerShell and CMD commands?: Hi. Windows terminal supports all commands of powershell and command prompt ? *sarc*Sad Thanks. 176298
  4. Change Default From Powershell to Ubuntu in Windows Terminal

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change Default From Powershell to Ubuntu in Windows Terminal: Instead of Powershell, I would like Windows Terminal to open a WSL tab by default. If this is possible, than I could right-click to open a new terminal from File Explorer, and not have to change directory all the way to where I want to go. submitted by /u/GalacticWafer...
  5. Removing Domain Users' Windows Packaged Apps using elevated Powershell

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Removing Domain Users' Windows Packaged Apps using elevated Powershell: Dear Community, I have not found a good way to remove most of my Domain Users' Windows Packaged Apps. A. I cannot use AppLocker from GPO, because my users are using Windows 10 Pro. I believe AppLocker only applies for Windows 10 Enterprise and Education. B. I cannot...
  6. CMD, PowerShell, Windows Terminal

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    CMD, PowerShell, Windows Terminal: I have recently returned to windows after 10 years of OSX/MacOS and Linux. During my time on these OSes I became very comfortable with using the terminal on a daily basis for minor tasks to system configuration and diagnostics. I loved the power these tools have and wish to...
  7. non elevated powershell?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    non elevated powershell?: Hi, I read that I can uninstall apps via the powershell elevated, and I indeed did this. But what surprised me was that even a non-elevated powershell prompt allowed me to uninstall a number of apps as well. Would this mean that I can even reinstall apps via a...
  8. The requested elevation requires elevation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The requested elevation requires elevation: I have seen this question asked before and attempted a few solutions. Fixing computer problems is not my forte and I would really like an easy to followed solution. I have downloaded the program Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2. It has converted most of my files to OpenOffice.org XML...
  9. Open Elevated Windows PowerShell in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Open Elevated Windows PowerShell in Windows 10: How to: Open Elevated Windows PowerShell in Windows 10 How to Open Elevated Windows PowerShell in Windows 10 [img] Information Windows 10 comes with Windows PowerShell 5.0 included. Windows PowerShell is a task-based command-line shell and scripting language...
  10. Processes with elevation terminated randomly?

in Windows 10 Support
    Processes with elevation terminated randomly?: Lately, I've been experiencing a weird and new problem: Programs I run with elevation (i.e. as Administrator) have been randomly terminated. I'm not sure why this is happening. Is this a new Windows 10 security feature? Examples: I run Process Hacker with elevation to...