Windows 10: Keep Explorer Icon a plain folder at all times in the taskbar

Discus and support Keep Explorer Icon a plain folder at all times in the taskbar in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I find it very annoying that the icon for Explorer in my taskbar changes depending on what folder I am in. No other application that I know of does... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JonPollack, Nov 3, 2020.

1. Keep Explorer Icon a plain folder at all times in the taskbar

I find it very annoying that the icon for Explorer in my taskbar changes depending on what folder I am in. No other application that I know of does this. Regardless if I am in documents, downloads, my music, etc, I always want the Explorer app to appear as a default plain folder. Otherwise I feel like I have different apps open when I only have Explorer open. Is this possible? Keep Explorer Icon a plain folder at all times in the taskbar 208835ec-b8c5-473d-bd48-4d0b8d7e175a?upload=true.png

:)

JonPollack, Nov 3, 2020
  2. wolf2009 Win User

How to make vista display same icon size for all opened folders in explorer ?

i dont think this answers the question , how do i make all icons in all folders appear "Large Icons" .

thx tho .

wolf2009, Nov 3, 2020
  3. Stevezv Win User
    Windows Explorer Icon in Taskbar

I am using Windows 7 64 bit

I placed an icon in the taskbar years ago. In the past I have been able to drag any folder I wished to that icon giving me a shortcut to frequently used folders. I usually had a list of 6-8 such folders.

Starting several months ago, that list of shortcuts sometimes, for no perceivable reason, disappears on boot up., In the past, it was easy to simply drag those folders to the icon and reconstruct that list. That no longer works.

When I drag a folder to the icon it does Say "Pin To Windows Explorer" but that does not happen. Can anyone suggest some way to restore that function. Perhaps there is some setting somewhere I cannot think of that needs resetting? Or something else.

Thank You

Stevezv, Nov 3, 2020
  4. Keep Explorer Icon a plain folder at all times in the taskbar

OneDrive folder icon changed to plain

Hi,

Thank you for replying.

I understand your concern and suggest you to Unlink OneDrive and run OneDrive setup
    again and check. Here is the steps:

• Right-click the white OneDrive cloud icon in the notification area, at the far right of the taskbar.

Keep Explorer Icon a plain folder at all times in the taskbar ce960e20-2ea4-4298-8ec8-8399b1b20e20.png

(You might need to click the Show hidden icons arrow next to the notification area to see the
      OneDrive icon.)

• Click Settings, and then click Unlink.

• Follow the steps in the Welcome to OneDrive wizard to set up OneDrive.
    Do notify us if the issue still persists and we'll be glad to help.

Navneet Anand, Nov 3, 2020
Thema:

Keep Explorer Icon a plain folder at all times in the taskbar

1. Keep Explorer Icon a plain folder at all times in the taskbar - Similar Threads - Keep Explorer Icon

2. Icons become plain white folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons become plain white folder: I have pinned apps in my taskbar. It became plain white folder and cant click on it. I hover the mouse and you will be able to see the icons name but unresponsive. The icons in the start menu is not affected however when I try to re pin the apps it remains the same. It happen...
  3. Icons become plain white folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icons become plain white folder: I have pinned apps in my taskbar. It became plain white folder and cant click on it. I hover the mouse and you will be able to see the icons name but unresponsive. The icons in the start menu is not affected however when I try to re pin the apps it remains the same. It happen...
  4. Icons become plain white folder

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Win 11 Taskbar showing two icons for Win Explorer. Prefer all explorer folders grouped...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 11 Taskbar showing two icons for Win Explorer. Prefer all explorer folders grouped...: On Win 10 Taskbar, the first few Win Explorer folders I open are grouped together under a single icon. Nice, I know where to find them! But after some time, new Win Explorer folders start appearing in a second group of Win Explorer folders at the end of the taskbar. Not so...
  6. Win 11 Taskbar showing two icons for Win Explorer. Prefer all explorer folders grouped...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 11 Taskbar showing two icons for Win Explorer. Prefer all explorer folders grouped...: On Win 10 Taskbar, the first few Win Explorer folders I open are grouped together under a single icon. Nice, I know where to find them! But after some time, new Win Explorer folders start appearing in a second group of Win Explorer folders at the end of the taskbar. Not so...
  7. Taskbar icons for File Explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Taskbar icons for File Explorer: I've always kept File Explorer (Windows Explorer) pinned to my taskbar, and the familiar 'folder' icon made it quick and easy to find and click. With Windows 10, this icon now changes, depending on what kind of folder I'm looking through. For example, if I'm looking at my...
  8. Windows Explorer Taskbar Icons - local vs network folder icons

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Explorer Taskbar Icons - local vs network folder icons: I work a lot on network drives through a VPN, but keep large files on my computer (local drive). Often I have two folders with the same name - one local and one network - but it is never clear which is which without opening the window. Is there any way to change the icon for...
  9. my icons are just plain white!

in Windows 10 Customization
    my icons are just plain white!: so, all of my icons on my taskbar, aside from the native microsoft programs,(outlook, edge, control panel, etc) are just plain white and ugly.. any way to make them colorful like their icon actually should be, and was on my win 7 machine? I'm sure there is a way, I just...
  10. ALL icons missing/blank (desktop, taskbar, explorer)

in Windows 10 Support
    ALL icons missing/blank (desktop, taskbar, explorer): Hi all, - Had the laptop hooked up to the TV last night via HDMI - Unplugged, then closed lid - putting it to sleep - Turned on today, no icons whatsoever. - Tried restarting the laptop - Tried restarting 'explorer.exe' Any tips for getting them back? It's...