Windows 10: Keep external monitors on when laptop lid is closed

Discus and support Keep external monitors on when laptop lid is closed in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I use 2 external monitors and when I was setting up my ThinkPad - I do not see where I can have the external monitors stay on once I close the laptop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by DianneTruett, Jan 25, 2022.

1. Keep external monitors on when laptop lid is closed

I use 2 external monitors and when I was setting up my ThinkPad - I do not see where I can have the external monitors stay on once I close the laptop lid. I have Windows Pro 11.

:)

DianneTruett, Jan 25, 2022

2. Windows 10 sleeps when using external monitor and closing the laptop lid.

Hey Likitha

Thanks for your response.

Before we assist further, I would like to ask you a few questions:

• Have you set Sleep function to activate on closing the laptop lid?
    • Did you check if the laptop goes to sleep when not connected to external monitor and lid closed?

To respond to your questions

(1) I have set the sleep function to operate on laptop lid close only when the laptop is on battery power. When it is plugged in I have set it to do not sleep ever.

(2) I have tested that it does *not* go to sleep when I the laptop is plugged in and I close the laptop lid

Further information:

(1) When I first turned the laptop on I attached it to the monitor and closed the lid. It then ran successfully for approximately an hour before hibernating.

(2) I then restarted the system, external monitor plugged in, lid closed and it went to hibernate after approximately 2 minutes.

MelbourneAl, Jan 25, 2022
  3. DCSans Win User
    Closing laptop lid shuts down external monitor

I have a laptop, (Windows 10) with an external monitor. Whenever I close the laptop lid after powering up the computer the monitor goes dark. How can I power up, close the lid and keep the monitor live?

DCSans, Jan 25, 2022
  4. jsmith613 Win User

Keep external monitors on when laptop lid is closed

Close laptop lid - external monitor

Yep. The computer remained and I could use the external monitor. But all windows on the laptop screen moved over. Currently when the lid is closed, the windows remain on the laptop screen which is then "off"

jsmith613, Jan 25, 2022
Thema:

Keep external monitors on when laptop lid is closed

1. Keep external monitors on when laptop lid is closed - Similar Threads - Keep external monitors

2. Keep external monitor as default when closing the lid in Windows 11.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keep external monitor as default when closing the lid in Windows 11.: I have my display settings set to "Show only on 2" for my monitor, so that the laptop screen is off, but my external monitor is on. I also have my power settings configured as "Do nothing" for the "When closing the lid" option, but despite this whenever I close the lid my...
  3. Keep external monitor as default when closing the lid in Windows 11.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keep external monitor as default when closing the lid in Windows 11.: I have my display settings set to "Show only on 2" for my monitor, so that the laptop screen is off, but my external monitor is on. I also have my power settings configured as "Do nothing" for the "When closing the lid" option, but despite this whenever I close the lid my...
  4. Keep external monitors on when laptop lid is closed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keep external monitors on when laptop lid is closed: I use 2 external monitors and when I was setting up my ThinkPad - I do not see where I can have the external monitors stay on once I close the laptop lid. I have Windows Pro 11....
  5. Keep monitor on while laptop lid is closed.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Keep monitor on while laptop lid is closed.: Hello I have an Acer Swift 5 laptop connected to an HP monitor through HDMI to Vga connecting cable. Whenever I close the lid of my laptop the duplicated display on the monitor vanishes. I have tried the option mentioned below. But still, I am facing the same problem....
  6. Laptop Keeps Restarting When Closing the Lid

Laptop Keeps Restarting When Closing the Lid: Hello, Sometimes when I close my laptop lid and leave the PC for sometime 3 hours plus I come back to my machine to find that it has reset itself. As a result of this all of my programmes and files that I had open when I left the device have been closed. I have spent hour...
  7. How to keep using an external monitor with laptop lid closed

in Windows 10 News
    How to keep using an external monitor with laptop lid closed: [ATTACH]If you want to keep using an external monitor with the laptop lid closed, then this article will be handy for you. There is no […] This article How to keep using an external monitor with laptop lid closed first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. Monitor settings when close laptop lid

in Windows 10 Customization
    Monitor settings when close laptop lid: Hi, I usually connect a secondary monitor to my laptop and close the lid. This worked fine until today. When I close the lid the monitor indicates that the source settings are higher than it can handle and it indicates me to change them to 1600x900 60Hz. However, I can't do...
  9. Using External Monitors with lid closed

Using External Monitors with lid closed: I had my set up work before. I have a laptop and 2 monitors. One monitor is connected via VGA cord and the other via HDMI. When I shut the lid of the laptop the monitor connected via VGA disconnects and wants to go into power saving mode, like if the computer went to...
  10. Close laptop lid - external monitor

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Close laptop lid - external monitor: I have a laptop monitor and an external monitor and set things up so the display is extended On my old Windows 10 laptop, when I shut the lid of the laptop, all the windows on that screen would just move to external monitor. My new laptop (Asus) does not do this and the...