Windows 10: Keep initial Home Win10 license after retail license transfer?

Discus and support Keep initial Home Win10 license after retail license transfer? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I would like to upgrade a spare dreamspark Win 8 Pro key to Win 10 before the deadline. I also have a laptop that has Win 10 Home (upgraded from OEM... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by krytoned, Jul 20, 2016.

1. krytoned Win User

Keep initial Home Win10 license after retail license transfer?

I would like to upgrade a spare dreamspark Win 8 Pro key to Win 10 before the deadline. I also have a laptop that has Win 10 Home (upgraded from OEM Win 8 by digital entitlement).

With the dreamspark key, I assume that this laptop can be upgraded to Win 10 Pro. However, I would like to transfer the Win 10 Pro key to a new computer in future (after the upgrade deadline). Would the laptop be able to retain its initial Win 10 Home license?

:)

krytoned, Jul 20, 2016

2. After upgrade, will license still be retail or not ?

Original title: If users upgrade from win 8.1 retail to win10 free upgrade, will the license still be retail or not ?

If users upgrade from win7/8.1 retail to win10 free upgrade, will the license still be retail or not ? can it be transferrable still and how wi if users upgrade from win7/8.1 retail to win10 free upgrade, will the license still be retail or not ? can it
    be transferrable still and how will that work? i only want to know this, and a lot of other people would like to knowll that work?

Amith Ingalagi, Jul 20, 2016
  3. Ylberg Win User
    Is retail version of Windows 7 pro (not OEM or GGK) when upgraded to Windows 10 is transferable to other PC?

Good question...

Will the retail licenses (Win8.x, Win7) be converted to OEM after upgrading to Win10 ? There are many theories on the Web so please explain this problem... once and for all. I think it's unfair to change retail license (from "Box" Windows version) to OEM which
    can be used only with motherboard it was bounded to!

And what will happen if I change my PC after upgrading to Win10? Will i lose my license because the old motherboard is gone (the one that was used when Win10 update was installed) and i'll have to buy another license for the new pc?

Ylberg, Jul 20, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

Not 100% certain but it looks like you will be able to do it with the new activation troubleshooter in next version of windows on Aug 2nd.

Your home licence is unaffected. You could install 10 pro as dual boot temporarily if you like.

cereberus, Jul 20, 2016
  5. My laptop has digital entitlements for 10 Home and Pro. I originally did the free upgrade from 8.1 Pro, that got me a Pro entitlement. Latter on I did a clean install and that laptops 8.0 Core OEM key was auto detected, that got me 10 Home and another digital entitlement. I then just did a change key and entered the generic Pro key. It upgraded to Pro and activated with the pro digital entitlement. I can now install either version on that laptop and activate with no issues. One doesn't negate the other.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Keep initial Home Win10 license after retail license transfer? - Similar Threads - Keep initial Home

2. Retail license transfer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Retail license transfer: Hi, I just changed to a completely different PC. I want my Windows 11 Pro license on the new one. What should I do? It is a retail key, I checked with command prompt and some commands I don't remember now....
  3. Retail license transfer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Retail license transfer: Hi, I just changed to a completely different PC. I want my Windows 11 Pro license on the new one. What should I do? It is a retail key, I checked with command prompt and some commands I don't remember now....
  4. How to transfer retail license.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to transfer retail license.: Hello,So I have Win 10 retail license assigned to one of my microsoft accounts which I'm not using any more. Is there a way to transfer that license to a different account.Best Regards....
  5. How to transfer retail license.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to transfer retail license.: Hello,So I have Win 10 retail license assigned to one my my microsft accounts which I'm not using it any more. Is there a way to transfer that license to a different account.Best Regards....
  6. How to transfer retail license.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to transfer retail license.: Hello,So I have Win 10 retail license assigned to one my my microsft accounts which I'm not using it any more. Is there a way to transfer that license to a different account.Best Regards....
  7. Windows 10 Home retail license transfer

Windows 10 Home retail license transfer: Hi, I run into a problem, that I cant seem to find a way to transfer my retail non OEM license between my old laptop witch I will no longer use and new one i bought recently. Old laptop has windows activated, new one - not. Before I installed new laptop with win10 I...
  8. Retail license

Retail license: Hello, Retail license windows 10 pro can use for Organization ? Regards, Rakesh C https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/retail-license/259bd1b2-9411-4df3-9362-aaac83c5c777
  9. Resseling RETAIL unused WIN10 license

Resseling RETAIL unused WIN10 license: Hello, I have opportunity to legally buy approx 100 pieces of Windows 10 Retail licenses for a fair price. I have a company that can trade inside EU. Question is if I legally buy Retail licenses and get paycheck for purchase that will be addressed on my company , can I...
  10. Upgrade from Home to Pro by transferring a retail license

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade from Home to Pro by transferring a retail license: Hello. I've recently bought a new laptop to replace a stolen one. The new laptop unfortunately comes with Windows 10 Home, and to enable disk encryption I'd need a Pro licence. In the stolen laptop, I had a full price retail Windows 8 licence, later upgraded to 8.1 and 10...