Windows 10: Keep mapped NAS drive sleeping if not accessed

Discus and support Keep mapped NAS drive sleeping if not accessed in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I have mapped my NAS drive into the Windows File Explorer. Everytime when - my PC is started or waked it up from sleep/hibernate mode, -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DawiDX, Nov 8, 2018.

1. DawiDX Win User

Keep mapped NAS drive sleeping if not accessed

Hi everyone,

I have mapped my NAS drive into the Windows File Explorer. Everytime when
    - my PC is started or waked it up from sleep/hibernate mode,
    - the save dialog is opened (in the web browser to download some file for example),
    - and in many another cases
    I can hear spin up HDDs in the mapped NAS drive.

Can you give me some advice how to keep the NAS drive sleeping if not accessed? Disconnect it is not suffiscient solution for me. Is there some another solution how to keep drive mappped and prevent it from wake up until it is really accessed?

Thank you for advices!

:)

DawiDX, Nov 8, 2018

2. Mapping network devices such as NAS drives.

Dear Support,

I am having a massive problem with finding NAS devices on my network so I map them as network drives.

I had not changed any network configurations, but now I do not see my NAS drives in the list under "Network", nor can I map my NAS drives.

My previous mappings are fine and work OK. However, even the drives that were previously mapped that work OK do not appear in the list for the options of mapping network drives now.

I am running Win 10 latest version on an Intel 7th gen CPU, wired Ethernet.

I have checked to see that all my firmware is up to date, including router, NAS, network driver. I have checked that sharing is on, and turned off firewalls, made my network type private. I have searched every forum and technical note, and tried every video
    out there, but I am at the end of my tether with this problem.

The problem seemed to occur after updating Windows. Everything was working fine before, completely flawlessly.

I am basically now completely fed up with the situation, and my only option left is to move all my computers to Linux. The problem has basically cut off access to data I need to work and is costing me money and time. I basically just want to cry as there
    is no solution anywhere that I find. The Windows update has broken my network.

If anyone has any answers, please let me know.

Thanks for your time in advance.

Kind regards, Ben.

Ben_Santos, Nov 8, 2018
  3. Peters48 Win User
    RPC error: cannot connect to NAS drive

Since upgrading from Win7(64) to Win10(64), I have been unable to connect to my NAS drive (\\NET_DRIVE). While I can see the drive in windows for mapping a drive, File Explorer and Network Sharing, when I try to map the drive, I get the following error:
    \\NET_DRIVE is not accessible.... A remote procedure call (RPC) protocol error occurred.

• The NAS drive is connected to my WiFi router, not to a remote computer.
    • The user profile I'm using has administrative rights
    • This problem did not occur when running Windows 7. It started when I upgraded to Windows 10
    How can I fix this so I can access my NAS drive?

Peters48, Nov 8, 2018
  4. KrisTurp Win User

Authorization error when mapping NAS drive from new Windows 10 laptop

Hi!

Not so tech-savvy user here, with problems establishing a mapped connection from my Windows 10 laptop to my Buffalo LinkStation NAS drive.

The error message I get: "The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occurred:
    The account is not authorized to log in from this station."

Notes:

• I CANNOT connect/map it from my Windows 10 work laptop (probably has plenty of additional workplace-installed security stuff, and access restrictions that I can't override)
      • It doesn't work through the "NAS Navigator" that I downloaded - it sees the drive, but won't let me explore it.
      • It doesn't work when mapping through File Explorer
        • I am never asked for a username/password
      • I AM able to access the NAS settings by accessing it via its static IP address
      • I CANNOT even access it from the cloud via WebAccess, which works on my phones, on my friends' computers, etc.
    • I CAN connect/map it from my other laptops (including my previous Windows 7 work laptop, with probably the same security stuff and access restrictions, and also my own personal Windows Vista machine)
      • I do not need to connect with a username/password
    What I've tried:

• Rebooting the NAS
    • Rebooting the laptop
    • Disabling Windows Firewall on the laptop
    • Enabling SMB on the NAS and the laptop
    • Enabling SMB2 on the NAS and the laptop and rebooting
    • Creating a a DWORD value called 'AllowInsecureGuestAuth' in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters and setting the value to 1.

see here
      - note, I really probably shouldn't be playing with registry values, being that I don't know what I'm doing!
    • I think I tried a few other things... can't remember them all.
    Anyone wanna lend a hand in solving this mystery?

KrisTurp, Nov 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Keep mapped NAS drive sleeping if not accessed - Similar Threads - Keep mapped NAS

2. Lost connectivity to NAS drives as mapped drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost connectivity to NAS drives as mapped drives: I can no longer access NAS devices. I have 2 NAS: Synology DS420+ and WDEX4100, that I have been using for several years, mapped to Y and Z respectively. A couple days ago, I lost connectivity. Came in to my office in the morning and the drives were gone from File Explorer. I...
  3. Lost connectivity to NAS drives as mapped drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost connectivity to NAS drives as mapped drives: I can no longer access NAS devices. I have 2 NAS: Synology DS420+ and WDEX4100, that I have been using for several years, mapped to Y and Z respectively. A couple days ago, I lost connectivity. Came in to my office in the morning and the drives were gone from File Explorer. I...
  4. Lost connectivity to NAS drives as mapped drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. NAS - failed to map newtork drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NAS - failed to map newtork drive: Running W10 Pro - 21H1I have a D-Link DSN-323 2 bay NAS storage deviceConnected by ethernet to my home hub, I use it for backups.It maps the 2 x 1 TB drives as volume Y & Z this was achieved using the 'easy connect utility'Went to add backups last week and both Y&Z did not...
  6. NAS - failed to map newtork drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NAS - failed to map newtork drive: Running W10 Pro - 21H1I have a D-Link DSN-323 2 bay NAS storage deviceConnected by ethernet to my home hub, I use it for backups.It maps the 2 x 1 TB drives as volume Y & Z this was achieved using the 'easy connect utility'Went to add backups last week and both Y&Z did not...
  7. NAS - failed to map newtork drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Map NAS Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Map NAS Drive: I just purchased a new computer and would like to map my NAS drive. I was able to do this with my old computer but for some reason, the NAS does not show up as a computer on the new one. I can see the NAS drive as a media and other device but cannot map the drive from here....
  9. Unable to map NAS drive

Unable to map NAS drive: I have a NAS drive (WD My Cloud Mirror) that was originally set up and mapped to an older laptop of mine. I have not used this NAS drive in a while. I recently dusted off the drive and tried to connect it to my new laptop when I ran into difficulties. The NAS drive is...
  10. No Access to NAS Drive

No Access to NAS Drive: Hi Folk, I can see that this seems to be a common problem on here! I have a Lacie cloudbox NAS drive. On WIn7 pro it worked just fine. Windows say the drive in the network group and I could access it like a normal folder. After I did the Win10 upgrade and it initially...