Windows 10: Keep my files option in Reset this PC menu

Discus and support Keep my files option in Reset this PC menu in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; What I need to know is which files will be considered as personal files during the reset process. Will the entire windows partition be wiped,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by dhankhar313, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Keep my files option in Reset this PC menu

What I need to know is which files will be considered as personal files during the reset process.

Will the entire windows partition be wiped, including the username folder in Users folder which contains folders like Pictures, Downloads and other folders like Android sdk and Android Studio and my VM's because the config files and other main data is stored inside the username folder.

Please clarify what will happen to this folder and other partitions like D: or E: and their further subfolders.

I know that the installed applications will be removed but what about their config files which are stored in the username folder inside the Users folder. Which data should I back up before opting for keep my files option?

:)

dhankhar313, Oct 25, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

No "Reset This PC" option

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

For better clarity, it would be great if you can help us with the details requested below:

• Where exactly are you looking for the Reset this PC option?
    • Were you able to successfully clone the drive?
    • Could you please provide more clarity on, “On original hard disk the WinRE recovery partition was last partition. On new hard disk that partition had moved to first position”?
    • Were you able to get the Reset this PC option by following the steps mentioned in the article provided by you?

If you wish to reset the PC, there are multiple ways to do it. You may want to refer the steps mentioned in the article

Reset or reinstall Windows 10

However, please reply with the details requested above to help you with the appropriate details.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Oct 25, 2020
  3. Naki Win User
    Feature suggestions - move to proper menus, add Options window

Suggestions:
    1) Remove main menus from top left menu (system menu) and move them to a standard Windows menu, at the top.
    Leave the 6 system menu items (Restore --- Close) in system menu, move all the rest to that standard main menu. The main menu can be auto-hidable - pressing Alt key to invoke it or hide it, similar to the way IE11 menus and many Windows 10 built-in apps' menus work.

2) And/or, add an Options menu or button, which would invoke a separate screen with GPU-Z Options, similar to how most Windows apps work.
    Most Windows apps have a separate Options screen, which GPU-Z lacks - one should be added.

Thanks in advance for listening!

4. Keep my files option in Reset this PC menu

Unable to reset the pc

Hello,

If you are having that message while trying to reset your computer, We suggest you to create an installation media for Windows 10 using Media
    Creation Tool
    and perform a Reset.

Once the installation media is created, follow the steps below:

• Insert the installation media you created, and then restart your PC.
    • On the Install Windows screen, select Repair your computer.
    • On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot. From there, you can use Safe Mode. Select
      Advanced Options >Reset This PC>Remove everything.
    • After the reset is complete, check for status.

Give us an update on what happens.

Anthony Cato, Oct 25, 2020
Thema:

Keep my files option in Reset this PC menu

1. Keep my files option in Reset this PC menu - Similar Threads - Keep files option

2. "Reset this PC" option missing on Recovery menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Reset this PC" option missing on Recovery menu: After a clean install of windows 11 in my Asus laptop there is no reset this pc option in the advanced start upRecovery Menu. Usually there would be two options inside the troubleshoot menu of the advanced start up. But now there is only one , the "reset this pc" option is...
  3. Stuck in Troubleshoot Menu, No Option for Reset PC

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Stuck in Troubleshoot Menu, No Option for Reset PC: Hello! Woke up this morning to find my computer unable to boot properly. Attempting to startup leads to the menu for choosing keyboard layout, then "Choose an option" menu with Troubleshoot and Turn off PC.Within Advanced Options, these are all I have: Startup Repair: Fails...
  4. Stuck in Troubleshoot Menu, No Option for Reset PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stuck in Troubleshoot Menu, No Option for Reset PC: Hello! Woke up this morning to find my computer unable to boot properly. Attempting to startup leads to the menu for choosing keyboard layout, then "Choose an option" menu with Troubleshoot and Turn off PC.Within Advanced Options, these are all I have: Startup Repair: Fails...
  5. I lost all my files after reset PC keep my file option

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I lost all my files after reset PC keep my file option: I lost all my files for unkown reason after reset PC keep my file option I have tried recovery my files by easeUs every seem to be okay until i realize i can't open images png,jpg and those images are unable to upload to the internet. Please help me....
  6. I lost all my files after reset PC keep my file option

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I lost all my files after reset PC keep my file option: I lost all my files for unkown reason after reset PC keep my file option I have tried recovery my files by easeUs every seem to be okay until i realize i can't open images png,jpg and those images are unable to upload to the internet. Please help me....
  7. I lost all my files after reset PC keep my file option

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Reset This PC -- "Keep my files" option

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reset This PC -- "Keep my files" option: I was wondering, if you select the "Keep my files" option while resetting the PC, what folders does Windows keep on the laptop? And besides that, does Windows wipe everything else other than those folders? Any help is appreciated! :...
  9. Does "Reset this PC" with Keep Files option keep files for apps not installed in Program Files?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Does "Reset this PC" with Keep Files option keep files for apps not installed in Program Files?: I'm curious as to the answer to this question. I've seen lists showing which folders get removed and which ones are kept, but I can't see any information on whether files for applications not installed in Program Files (x86) or Program Files get removed as well. E.g. if I...
  10. "Reset this PC" option missing on Recovery menu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "Reset this PC" option missing on Recovery menu: Hello, I have reset several Lenovo T480 laptops for my organization using the option below: [ATTACH] This screenshot came from a laptop running Windows 17763.437 When I go to the laptop I'm trying to reset I only have the following in the menu: [ATTACH] This laptop...