Windows 10: keep nothing install deletes hidden devices or volumes generic shadow copies that are on my...

Discus and support keep nothing install deletes hidden devices or volumes generic shadow copies that are on my... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; keep nothing install deletes hidden devices or volumes generic shadow copies that are on my pc i see it in device manager... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sanyijani, May 1, 2021.

1. sanyijani Win User

keep nothing install deletes hidden devices or volumes generic shadow copies that are on my...

keep nothing install deletes hidden devices or volumes generic shadow copies that are on my pc i see it in device manager

:)

sanyijani, May 1, 2021

2. 270 instances of "Generic volume shadow copy" in device manager

Correction: I have eight system restore points, not seven of them.

AnthonyMurawski, May 1, 2021
  3. 270 instances of "Generic volume shadow copy" in device manager

Hello,

My questions: Since I have 270 instances of "Generic volume shadow copy" listed under device manager, would that impact my system performance adversely? If so, what can I do about it?

I am running Windows 7 Professional (SP 1) on an HP ProDesk 600 G1 SFF computer, which has 1.5 TB of physical memory and 32 GB of RAM (I found the computer refurbished for $425.00 in 2016, when it was 1.5 years old. I purchased 32 GB of RAM for $183.00 and
    installed it myself. The computer already had an upgraded motherboard. I am on Social Security Disability, and have to live off of $319.00 per week -- so I had never owned a computer that was less than two years old before I found this one, although I was
    51 years old when I bought it. (I don't care whether my paltry disability income or age are public information).

When I just checked device manager, I found 270 instances of "Generic volume shadow copy" listed under "Storage volume shadow copies." I only have seven restore points in System Restore.

None of those 270 instances are grayed out.

Here are a few details about some of the software and hardware I use that are not typically found on most computers...

I have eight external drives connected to my computer. I also have two other computers--both of which are nine year old laptops--as part of a three-computer home network. I use a free software program called Synergy that enables me to use one mouse and one
    keyboard for all three computers (e.g., copying and pasting across screens, etc.).

I use X1 Search Premium instead of Windows Search because X1 has the ability to perform keyword proximity searches of all document types and of my Outlook email. And I have it set to index only when I am not actively using my computer. So I disabled Windows
    Search, because it uses so much memory while indexing in the background, and cannot provide me with comparable search results to those I get using X1 Search. (With X1 Search, I can search for a keyword within any number of words I want from another keyword,
    instead of using the AND operator, which provides search results that include documents where one search term is 50 pages away from the other search term).

I can't think of anything else on my computer that isn't commonly used. Among other things, I have Microsoft Office Pro 2010. I use Malwarebytes Pro, SuperAntispyware Pro, and Avast Premier. I do not get conflicts between any of these three antivirus/anti-malware
    programs because I have created exceptions in Malwarebytes for the other two programs, exceptions in Avast for the other two programs, etc. I always eliminate tracking cookies by running a quick scan with SuperAntispyware Pro before opening the Chrome browser.

I uninstalled my backup program and am about to reinstall it to back up my data onto multiple external drives. I have far too much data to back up onto a cloud, since I am backing up about 250 GB of data.

Since I can barely pay my utilities, it's simply impossible for me to pay someone for computer assistance.

It seems to me that 270 instances of "Generic volume shadow copy" in device manager is excessive, and might impair functionality. I looked at multiple postings concerning a high number of instances of Generic volume shadow copy, and they discuss eliminating
    system restore points. But I only have seven restore points from 5/25/2018 to 6/13/2018 (I already checked "Show more restore points"):

6/13/2018 Windows Update / Type: Critical Update

6/12/2018 Revo Uninstaller-created restore point / Type: Program Uninstalled

6/10/2018 Automatic Restore Point / Type: System

6/2/2018 Revo Uninstaller-created restore point / Type: Program Uninstalled (second program uninstalled)

6/2/2018 Revo Uninstaller-created restore point / Type: Program Uninstalled

5/27/2018 Installed Pulse Application Launcher / Type: Program Install (full-tunnel VPN) (first attempt failed, so I had to try again, and succeeded)

5/27/2018 Installed Pulse Application Launcher / Type: Program Install (full-tunnel VPN)

5/25/2018 Automatic Restore Point / Type: System

No harm in restating my two questions... Since I have 270 instances of "Generic volume shadow copy" listed under device manager, would that impact my system performance adversely? If so, what can I do about it?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH TO ANYONE WHO HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS!

Anthony

AnthonyMurawski, May 1, 2021
  4. keep nothing install deletes hidden devices or volumes generic shadow copies that are on my...

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: A critical component required by the Volume Shadow Copy service is not registered.

Hi,

Thank you for getting back with a reply.

I suggest you to start the Volume shadow copy service and check. Follow these steps:

a. Click Start and type services.msc in the search box.

b. Search for the Volume shadow copy service and make sure the start- up type is automatic.

i. Right click on the service

ii. If the service is stopped, then Start the service

iii. Select Properties

iv. And in the Start-up type select Automatic.

c. Click Ok.

Keep us posted on Windows related queries and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, May 1, 2021
Thema:

keep nothing install deletes hidden devices or volumes generic shadow copies that are on my...

1. keep nothing install deletes hidden devices or volumes generic shadow copies that are on my... - Similar Threads - keep nothing install

2. Volume shadow copy error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Volume shadow copy error: Event viewer error.Unexpected error calling routine ConvertStringSidToSidS-1-5-21-442981339-3756801702-44240739-1001.bak hr=0x80070359.The security structure is invalid.Any clues, please?...
  3. Volume shadow copy error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Volume shadow copy error: Event viewer error.Unexpected error calling routine ConvertStringSidToSidS-1-5-21-442981339-3756801702-44240739-1001.bak hr=0x80070359.The security structure is invalid.Any clues, please?...
  4. Volume shadow copy error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Timing of Shadow Copy Deletions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Timing of Shadow Copy Deletions: Running Server 2003 R1. Shadow copies are enabled and set to use a maximum of 25GB. Instead of deleting incrementally, the copies build up to 25GB and then all of the copies are deleted at once. Is there a way to change this to an incremental deletion?...
  6. Volume Shadow Copy Service Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Volume Shadow Copy Service Not Working: I am trying to backup my files but it is disabled. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/volume-shadow-copy-service-not-working/1d0404ed-9d64-47cb-a1a6-19242309da97
  7. Volume Shadow Copy Service Not Working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Volume Shadow Copy Service Not Working: I am trying to backup my files but it is disabled. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/volume-shadow-copy-service-not-working/1d0404ed-9d64-47cb-a1a6-19242309da97
  8. Keep nothing install removes all hidden drivers devices or cloud reset pc deletes hidden...

Keep nothing install removes all hidden drivers devices or cloud reset pc deletes hidden...: Keep nothing install removes all hidden drivers devices or cloud reset pc remove everything deletes hidden drivers https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/keep-nothing-install-removes-all-hidden-drivers/6c54c717-9f45-4040-9db9-0f04abf83dfb
  9. How to delete Volume Shadow Copies in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to delete Volume Shadow Copies in Windows 10: [ATTACH]Missing storage space is always a problem in Windows 10. Users keep reporting about […] This article How to delete Volume Shadow Copies in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  10. Volume Shadow Copy and Restore Points

Volume Shadow Copy and Restore Points: I am noticing I cant find my Automatic Restore Points AND I cant find the Restore Points Windows creates after a Quality Update .. in the System Restore application. I just checked my Task Scheduler for Restore Points and the last task to create an Automatic Restore point...