Windows 10: Keep on having to restart Explorer.exe after switching displays

Discus and support Keep on having to restart Explorer.exe after switching displays in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; *I am not sure if this is the right place since It has to do when I am wanting to game, but not specifically game on my PC. When I game on my PC this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by richphotos, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Keep on having to restart Explorer.exe after switching displays

*I am not sure if this is the right place since It has to do when I am wanting to game, but not specifically game on my PC. When I game on my PC this issue does not exist*

Okay, so here is the deal, I have a gaming setup. 2 23" displays, one is ran through an HDMI switch which also has my ps4 and a couple other systems hooked up to it. So I will switch to which ever input signal for the console I am playing and my secondary monitor will become my primary display until I switch it back to the primary display making the second one an extended desktop.

Seems simple enough, but since I upgraded to windows 10 from 7, when I switch back to have my primary display and an extended display I have to restart explorer exe or I cant get the start menu to show unless I hit the windows key on the board. ( I have the start menu to auto hide for when I am editing photos)

All drivers are up to date, there are no viruses, scanned many times and this only started happening once I switched to 10. It drives me insane that I have to keep on restarting explorer each time I want to play on one of my consoles.

Also, when I switch it back to the primary display monitor all my desktop icons stay on the secondary displays screen.

Another detail, is this is not EVERY single time, but 95% of the time I have to restart explorer.

:)

richphotos, Oct 7, 2015

2. Explorer.exe Element not found

I upgraded from windows 8.1 professional and to load the apps and the store I have to keep restarting explorer.exe because when i click on edge or the store icons on the taskbar I get an error saying Element not found. After restarting explorer everything
    works again. Is there a fix for this or can I repair explorer.exe?

KieranMoroney, Oct 7, 2015
  3. Windows 10 not working!!!

This also have the same issue on a HP 630 laptop. It only occurs when the wireless adaptor is switched on. If it is off, then windows functions OK after restarting. When starting explorer the error for explorer.exe is Class not registered. I have updated
    the wireless adaptor to the latest version, this has not helped.

Software_dude, Oct 7, 2015
  4. Keep on having to restart Explorer.exe after switching displays

A little update. It is ONLY when google chrome is up or opened. With anything else, I do not have this issue, i can switch windows to something else, lets say notepad for an example and the start menu will show. The second I switch back to chrome..... I have tried firefox, Edge, other programs and after I switch back the display via the HDMI switch the start menu shows when I put the mouse cursor at the bottom of the screen. But when I use google chrome. I need to restart explorer. I might switch back to firefox.

richphotos, Oct 9, 2015
Thema:

Keep on having to restart Explorer.exe after switching displays

1. Keep on having to restart Explorer.exe after switching displays - Similar Threads - Keep having restart

2. File explorer keeps glitching after windows restarts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer keeps glitching after windows restarts: Hi. hope you guys doing great.My system information:Windows 11 Pro 64-bit 10.0 Build 22621Asus VivoBook 15 X570UDCore i7 8550U8GB RamIts now 2 days that my windows got a problem. File explorer keeps glitching opening and closing itself after I restart my windows.It will stay...
  3. File explorer keeps glitching after windows restarts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer keeps glitching after windows restarts: Hi. hope you guys doing great.My system information:Windows 11 Pro 64-bit 10.0 Build 22621Asus VivoBook 15 X570UDCore i7 8550U8GB RamIts now 2 days that my windows got a problem. File explorer keeps glitching opening and closing itself after I restart my windows.It will stay...
  4. Pc Freezes and having no display after restart.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Pc Freezes and having no display after restart.: Hi, Im Harry and i have an issue with my pc. So one day I was playing on it and out of nowhere my main monitor froze and the second one that is connected to my motherboard freaking out. so i turned it off using the power button on the device and tried to turn it back on after...
  5. Pc Freezes and having no display after restart.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc Freezes and having no display after restart.: Hi, Im Harry and i have an issue with my pc. So one day I was playing on it and out of nowhere my main monitor froze and the second one that is connected to my motherboard freaking out. so i turned it off using the power button on the device and tried to turn it back on after...
  6. Pc Freezes and having no display after restart.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Keep having to restart windows explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Keep having to restart windows explorer: Every once in a while some aspects of my laptop start lagging. When I use the volume/brightness buttons they change but it takes a while for the actual bar to show up on screen. If I try alt-tabbing or using the start or search features they take a while to respond. The only...
  8. Explorer,EXE

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Explorer,EXE: Please help me find a solution on this message; 'The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation' Hoping someone has a simple solution, Thanks...
  9. Explorer Keeps Restarting

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Explorer Keeps Restarting: I think I have some registry conflicts. The battery/audio systray icons are no longer appearing, and the screen keeps flickering which causes applications to hang. Sometimes programs will even switch on their own. Any advice on this? This is really weird guys. If I use...
  10. Explorer keeps restarting itself

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer keeps restarting itself: When I open certain folders, Windows Explorer just restarts itself. There is no "explorer has stopped working" message and the screen doesn't fade as if it's hanging. Sometimes, it just closes the explorer window instantly when opening a folder and reloads the taskbar,...
Tags: