Windows 10: Keep Windows 10 preview up to date -- or face a dead PC

Discus and support Keep Windows 10 preview up to date -- or face a dead PC in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; I've always wondered how burning and mailing out thousands of DVDs would compare to maintaining servers capable of serving thousands of people with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Wynona, Apr 17, 2015.

1. waltc Win User

Keep Windows 10 preview up to date -- or face a dead PC

Do you remember the AoL days? (Back when Case still owned it.) AoL must have mailed out literally millions of AoL "trial/Free" CD's in the US. I recall I had around 30 or so...the wife and I wound up using them as drink coasters before tossing them...*Wink Well, the servers are the much cheaper/faster route, because you don't just use those servers for that one task--you use them to facilitate the downloads of many other things, too, at the same time.

waltc, Apr 18, 2015
  2. Wynona Win User

I like dual boot better too. Build 10041 seems to have booted into the "choice" a bit faster than Build 10049 does, but it's still as fast as or faster than booting into Windows 8.1 alone.

I've also been told that running a VM isn't "real world" enough for testing. I don't know whether that's fact or not, but since I have dual boot set up, I ain't agonna worry about it. *Smile

Wynona, Apr 18, 2015
  3. Wynona Win User
    Oh, do I ever! Coasters? Yup; I crocheted covers for them so they were pretty on the table. I still crochet them and give them for gifts, although I now use old and obsolete program "coasters". Or DVDs I've written to and discarded later. I really liked the little "cans" the CDs came in too. *Smile

Yes, I'm pretty sure you could buy quite a few specialized computers for the same price you pay for DVDs. Or contract to have them built for you. Speed of download vs pressing and mailing DVDs. No brainer . . .

Wynona, Apr 18, 2015
  4. Gary Win User

I used AOL for about 3 days the switched to MSN. My friend was using AOL and she never left their site. I would send her all of this stuff from The Net and she asked me where am I getting this from. I told her that there is more than AOL..LOL

5. GQMax Win User
    I'm waiting for the legit updates to come from MS. I been working 1049 for a while. Still waiting on the next updates to roll out.

GQMax, Apr 18, 2015
  6. Gary Win User
    Build 10056 is a legit build. If it was only to be for MS employees then one of them must have leaked it. IMHO MS likes their stuff to be leaked, more exposure that way.

7. Vladimir Win User
    Yes, I agree ! The noise that leaked builds make is far beyond what official releases do...

~edit~

And I love leaks !

*Smile

Vladimir, Apr 19, 2015
  8. Wynona Win User

Not necessarily leaked by an employee, Gary. There are at least two other groups that get builds before us out here in the hinterlands. One is called TAP (no, don't know what that stands for) and another is Corporate clients of Microsoft.

So, it was more likely that a member of one of those groups leaked. I'm amazed that only "one" leak turned up. *Smile

I've also seen the consequences of leaks from Beta Testers (prior to Technical Previewers) like us. It ain't pretty. There was one who was in the old Butterflies group who conned a Microsoft employee into creating a Microsoft email address for him. Then, he advertised that he was an employee of Microsoft . . . He got away with it for a few months, and then got outted! Whoops! Another BT done gone . . .

Wynona, Apr 19, 2015
  9. Wynona Win User
    I've never had the guts to install leaks before, but with this group, it's a lot safer than just going out into the wild and picking one up. I've done it twice and it was easier the second time. *Smile

Wynona, Apr 19, 2015
  10. BunnyJ New Member
    I agree.. Leaks can have more bugs than the official TP's. And if anyone does test them I would recommend that the use of a VM is a must.

BunnyJ, Apr 19, 2015
  11. Edwin New Member
    I disagree, bugs, more often than not, are amplified by running it in a VM.

Edwin, Apr 19, 2015
  12. BunnyJ New Member
    I agree to an extent. If I use an official build then I would conciser running it on metal.. Otherwise a leak is just a risk since you/I don't know where it really came from.

BunnyJ, Apr 19, 2015
  13. Gary Win User

If that were the case tell me why build 10056 is the best one I have tried? And if in fact this build was meant for MS employees only then one of them had to have leaked it. Leaks sell both OS's and games. How else could a game like Advanced warfare be leaked on the same day it was released?? I also read some where on the intertubes that the next preview build will be at Build. Not sure about that one. All I can say is that 10056 is stable enough to be used as my only OS at the moment.

14. BunnyJ New Member
    You like to take chances.. I don't.
    It's just my 2c and YMMV...

Jeff

BunnyJ, Apr 19, 2015
  15. Edwin New Member
    True, but that's why we call it 'bare metal'; if there's something peculiar about it, just break out the 'Steel Wool' and start over! *Wink

Edwin, Apr 19, 2015
Thema:

1. Keep Windows 10 preview up to date -- or face a dead PC - Similar Threads - Keep preview date

2. Keeping Installation Media Up to date.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keeping Installation Media Up to date.: When I purchase Window 11 on a USB or a DVD boxed versions , I get the current version of Windows at that moment in time. As time goes on, newer versions are released and sold, but I still have the older outdated release. I understand that if I need to re-install again later,...
  3. Keeping Installation Media Up to date.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keeping Installation Media Up to date.: When I purchase Window 11 on a USB or a DVD boxed versions , I get the current version of Windows at that moment in time. As time goes on, newer versions are released and sold, but I still have the older outdated release. I understand that if I need to re-install again later,...
  4. Failed to keep windows up-to-date

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Failed to keep windows up-to-date: Failed to keep windows up-to-dateMy PC failed to keep windows up-to-date, *My PC have been a part of beta test plan of Microsoft but not now.*The update surface in setting just keep loading and empty.*I can't install any software from Microsoft Store since my PD failed to...
  5. windows 10 up date

windows 10 up date: when windows updated, I lost all my files, some of the icons on the screen are black. when I try to open the store from settings, I get a black line under it received a message to uninstall KB45332693 I do not have this installed, I have : KB4601319, security update...
  6. Windows 10 Search Index failing to keep up-to-date

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Search Index failing to keep up-to-date: I am using Widows Search to query the contents of a large collection of pdf documents. Normally, when new pdf files ware added to the collection, these are immediately and automatically indexed, and promptly appear in the search results. However, after sucessfully...
  7. Windows 10 Search Index failing to keep up-to-date

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Search Index failing to keep up-to-date: I am using Widows Search to query the contents of a collection of around 200,000 pdf files. Normally, when new pdf files are added to the collection, these would be immediately and automatically indexed, and promptly appear in the search results. However, after sucessfully...
  8. Window 10 up date

Window 10 up date: After installing The New Edge my laptop restarted without recognizing my hotmail password....plain mode...no wi fi and it has been hacked with at least 10 users. I have no control on my laptop. Everything is ok. On my Android 6...
  9. WINDOWS 10 UP DATE

in Windows 10 Customization
    WINDOWS 10 UP DATE: Hello I have an old DELL comp running windows 7 32bit I updated it to windows 10 because I was advised to I went to use it and cannot as it says I don't have admin rights when it had downloaded and when I go to change anything it wont let me I have tried all it tells...
  10. Reserving disk space to keep Windows 10 up to date

in Windows 10 News
    Reserving disk space to keep Windows 10 up to date: Starting with the next major update we’re making a few changes to how Windows 10 manages disk space. Through reserved storage, some disk space will be set aside to be used by updates, apps, temporary files, and system caches. Our goal is to improve the day-to-day function of...