Windows 10: Keep Windows 10 preview up to date -- or face a dead PC

Discus and support Keep Windows 10 preview up to date -- or face a dead PC in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; True, but that's why we call it 'bare metal'; if there's something peculiar about it, just break out the 'Steel Wool' and start over! *Wink I have one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Wynona, Apr 17, 2015.

1. BunnyJ New Member

Keep Windows 10 preview up to date -- or face a dead PC

I have one PC and it has to work. For me re-installing a new OS every time something goes wrong with a leak is not worth the effort. But that's me and YMMV

Jeff

BunnyJ, Apr 19, 2015
  2. Edwin New Member

I'd have to agree, 10056 has the most features working properly since 9941, or whatever it was.

Edwin, Apr 19, 2015
  3. Edwin New Member
    That would be the wise route to take, I agree with that! *Smile

Edwin, Apr 19, 2015
  4. Gary Win User

I only have one PC as well and All I can say it did not take anywhere from 3 to 6 hours to install as 10049's update did.*Smile

5. BunnyJ New Member
    @Gary that's fine for you to do that. It doesn't take me long to install Win10 but I chose not to do it. Get it.. I don't need to test Win10 that much and I want a stable computer for my daily use.

So, please stop trying to prove a point with me. Ok?? I stated an opinion and it's my 2c.. YMMV
    Jeff

BunnyJ, Apr 19, 2015
  6. Gary Win User
    Sorry I thought that you were using Windows 10 because you are a member at a Windows 10 Forum. I have no idea what YMMV means*Smile Oh you are using it on a VM..OK

7. BunnyJ New Member
    1. Yes I am testing it.. I've had it on bare metal and a VM
    2 YMMV = Your millage may vary.

And finally,, lay off. Being snarky is not impressing me one bit.

BunnyJ, Apr 19, 2015
  8. Gary Win User

You made a statement that I and some others disagreed with. This happens in a forum such as this and most forums. All I did was to state a fact as I know it that build 10056 is the best build that I have used. I am not trying to impress you or anyone else and I certainly was not snarky. It is my opinion and only my opinion that Build 10056 is good as they get so far. I have not had any crashes as I did in 10049 and when I installed it, this build actually installed all of my drivers, even my MS Wireless Mouse driver. I am quite sure that when Windows 10 goes final it will be better than 10056. You are right I like taking chances for 5 years I used nothing but Nightly Firefox Builds as my only browser. Each user has their own choices and I chose to use this Build. I do have Windows 7 on a different hard drive and an image of it. I read today that you can updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10 TP and then to the final. That my friend is way too risky for me. Since IU have been on this forum I have learned a great deal from you, Wynona, Kari and many more. Brink is in a special expert in all aspects of Windows. His TUTS are amazing. It was never my intent to be snarky it is just the way I come across it seems sometimes. If I offended you in any way I am sorry.

9. Well I have a dual boot (Win 7 and Build 10056). I have not had a single issue with this build as of yet and have set it up and installed most of the software I use on Win 7. So far I have used this build as my daily OS. That being said I won't be pulling out my Win 7 SSD anytime soon just in case. I will wait until Win 10 is officially released.

stealth2920, Apr 19, 2015
  10. Vladimir Win User
    You're not alone. I kept a partition with 10049 to ensure the capability to upgrade to the next official build, but I also have 10056 in another partition. Both have bugs, of course, but my impression is that 10056 runs smother...

*Smile

Vladimir, Apr 19, 2015
  11. Gary Win User
    I may do that as well but I think that 10056 will update. If not I can just do a clean install. I have nothing on it but a couple games and browsers. All OS's have bugs, Windows 7 still has bugs.

12. If you are using Firefox (or one of its forks) you can install a search engine called "Acronym Finder".

When combined with the "Context Search" add-on, you can highlight an acronym and search for its meaning using the Context menu.

Keep Windows 10 preview up to date -- or face a dead PC [​IMG]

lehnerus2000, Apr 19, 2015
  13. Wynona Win User

Hey guys, I have everything now dual booting, with Windows 10 in its own partition, so I don't have to worry about VMs. It can't get out! *Smile

Wynona, Apr 19, 2015
  14. Wynona Win User
    Hopefully that means that the next Build Microsoft drops will be far better! I'm not having any real problems except when I try to emphasize something, and then my post goes haywire. But that's in 10049, and it went away for awhile in 10056. Now I don't know if it will get better or not. We'll see.

Wynona, Apr 19, 2015
  15. CountMike New Member
    I too would beware of leaked updates if I had to dual boot on same HDD but I have an old HDD just for that purpose and as I signed up for testing W10, testing is what I'm doing and that includes everything about W10 I can get my mitts on. I just take care when installing those (and official) updates by disconnecting other drives. If it doesn't work out I always keep .ISO from previous version, half an hour and I'm back where I stared from. Windows 8.1 and payed programs on it are just too precious to risk. One of my primary testing goals with W10 is testing hardware too so I gave up on VM for time being.
    Play but play safe is my motto. Regular full W8.1 system backup with Reflect, helps a lot.

CountMike, Apr 19, 2015
Thema:

1. Keep Windows 10 preview up to date -- or face a dead PC - Similar Threads - Keep preview date

2. Keeping Installation Media Up to date.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keeping Installation Media Up to date.: When I purchase Window 11 on a USB or a DVD boxed versions , I get the current version of Windows at that moment in time. As time goes on, newer versions are released and sold, but I still have the older outdated release. I understand that if I need to re-install again later,...
  3. Keeping Installation Media Up to date.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keeping Installation Media Up to date.: When I purchase Window 11 on a USB or a DVD boxed versions , I get the current version of Windows at that moment in time. As time goes on, newer versions are released and sold, but I still have the older outdated release. I understand that if I need to re-install again later,...
  4. Failed to keep windows up-to-date

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Failed to keep windows up-to-date: Failed to keep windows up-to-dateMy PC failed to keep windows up-to-date, *My PC have been a part of beta test plan of Microsoft but not now.*The update surface in setting just keep loading and empty.*I can't install any software from Microsoft Store since my PD failed to...
  5. windows 10 up date

windows 10 up date: when windows updated, I lost all my files, some of the icons on the screen are black. when I try to open the store from settings, I get a black line under it received a message to uninstall KB45332693 I do not have this installed, I have : KB4601319, security update...
  6. Windows 10 Search Index failing to keep up-to-date

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Search Index failing to keep up-to-date: I am using Widows Search to query the contents of a large collection of pdf documents. Normally, when new pdf files ware added to the collection, these are immediately and automatically indexed, and promptly appear in the search results. However, after sucessfully...
  7. Windows 10 Search Index failing to keep up-to-date

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Search Index failing to keep up-to-date: I am using Widows Search to query the contents of a collection of around 200,000 pdf files. Normally, when new pdf files are added to the collection, these would be immediately and automatically indexed, and promptly appear in the search results. However, after sucessfully...
  8. Window 10 up date

Window 10 up date: After installing The New Edge my laptop restarted without recognizing my hotmail password....plain mode...no wi fi and it has been hacked with at least 10 users. I have no control on my laptop. Everything is ok. On my Android 6...
  9. WINDOWS 10 UP DATE

in Windows 10 Customization
    WINDOWS 10 UP DATE: Hello I have an old DELL comp running windows 7 32bit I updated it to windows 10 because I was advised to I went to use it and cannot as it says I don't have admin rights when it had downloaded and when I go to change anything it wont let me I have tried all it tells...
  10. Reserving disk space to keep Windows 10 up to date

in Windows 10 News
    Reserving disk space to keep Windows 10 up to date: Starting with the next major update we’re making a few changes to how Windows 10 manages disk space. Through reserved storage, some disk space will be set aside to be used by updates, apps, temporary files, and system caches. Our goal is to improve the day-to-day function of...