Windows 10: Keeping photos (jpegs) open on desktop and in file folders

Discus and support Keeping photos (jpegs) open on desktop and in file folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I save a Jpeg photo to my desktop or in file folders they do not show the photo. All they show is a blue coloured square with the word jpeg. In... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by HKYFVR, Feb 7, 2021.

1. HKYFVR Win User

Keeping photos (jpegs) open on desktop and in file folders

When I save a Jpeg photo to my desktop or in file folders they do not show the photo. All they show is a blue coloured square with the word jpeg. In Windows 7 all my Jpegs would stay open(showing the photo) both on the desktop and in my file folders. Why can't I do this in Windows 10?? I am new to Windows 10 and have seen photos open on other computers running Windows 10.

:)

HKYFVR, Feb 7, 2021

2. Can not open jpeg photos with windows 10 (after deleted the pre-installed "Photos" app)

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I would like to inform you that if you delete photos app, the pictures that you like to access will open in Windows Photo viewer or the applications which supports the respective format. To open certain images with the apps that you prefer, you will have
    to customize it.

I suggest you to try the steps provided below.

• Right click on the pic that you would like to view.
      • Click on Open With.
      • Click on Choose another app.
      • Choose the app accordingly.
      • Place a check mark on Always use this app to open.jpeg.
    I would also like to inform you that even .jpeg pictures can be open with paint application. To check whether the picture is .jpeg format. I suggest you to right click on the picture and click on properties.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Feb 7, 2021
  3. LynneS222 Win User
    Opening files/photos in folders-

If someone could save my sanity, I'd appreciate it. Each time I try to open a folder-say from the internet- to grab a photo, the drop down list is ALWAYS set to 'custom files' and I have to change it to get to the jpg./png files I want. So by default, it always list the 'custom files' FIRST on the drop down. I would like for it to DEFAULT to the 'all files' setting, so I don't have to change it each time I open a folder. Is there a way?

Also, this is a personal folder-user folder- and there are no properties, not even if I right click on the folder, which sits on the desktop, and all of my other folders have properties....

Please help, because right now, I HATE Windows 10.

Thanks.

LynneS222, Feb 7, 2021
  4. John Vil Win User

Cant open JPEG

Hello John,

One possible reason why certain JPEG's wouldn't open may be due to file corruptions. To better assist you, kindly answer the questions below:

• Were there any recent hardware/software changes done on your computer prior to this happening?
    • Does this error appear when opening other JPEG files or is the issue specific to a single JPEG file?
    • Does this error appear when you try to open other file types?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

We're looking forward for your response.

John Vil, Feb 7, 2021
Thema:

1. Keeping photos (jpegs) open on desktop and in file folders - Similar Threads - Keeping photos jpegs

2. Photo app won't open JPEG files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photo app won't open JPEG files: I am trying to open JPEG files in the photo app and I get an error message that this file format is not supported. How do I fix that? Same thing happens with photoviewer or photo gallery...
  3. .JPEG folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .JPEG folder: Need help adding .jpeg files to a folder that is .jpeg readable to upload to an application site. Is this possible? If not, how do you upload several .jpeg files when the application only accepts 1 page? Tried to control shift to highlight all pages, but it didnt work....
  4. Can't open ".jpeg/.JPEG" files

Can't open ".jpeg/.JPEG" files: Hello Windows 10 can't open ".jpeg/.JPEG" files in Photo viewer/Photos/Paint app. windows edition - Windows 10 Pro windows version - 2004 Installed on - 2020-07-16 OS build - 19041.388 Experience - Windows Feature Experience Pack...
  5. Can not open jpeg files

Can not open jpeg files: Updated Windows 10 last night and now I can't access any jpeg files. All I get is the message "Package not found". https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-not-open-jpeg-files/ec54d0d5-2d07-4027-a6ef-5f06b1c9848d"
  6. saving, then later opening photos {jpeg]

saving, then later opening photos {jpeg]: on closing my photos look like saved in a file form I and my computer does not recognise. it looks like a revers of windows photos, white mountain blues sky. and will not open Help...
  7. Error opening JPEG files

Error opening JPEG files: When I attempt to open a .JPG file holding a photograph, I get the message "Invalid value for registry". I never had any problem opening these files before. How do I fix this and get to my photos?...
  8. Opening JPEG files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Opening JPEG files: How can I get Windows 10 to open my JPEG files? The system suddenly decided to tell me it was unable to open my photos https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/opening-jpeg-files/a69fd195-ca55-4a53-acf0-87e0a756b387
  9. Cannot open jpeg files

Cannot open jpeg files: ?? I am trying to work with images and I cannot open jeg files.. the windows photo view is not the option. Please help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-open-jpeg-files/5efd03a1-cb88-45cd-93ca-e19b194086bb"
  10. Opening files/photos in folders-

in Windows 10 Support
    Opening files/photos in folders-: If someone could save my sanity, I'd appreciate it. Each time I try to open a folder-say from the internet- to grab a photo, the drop down list is ALWAYS set to 'custom files' and I have to change it to get to the jpg./png files I want. So by default, it always list the...