Windows 10: Keeping the creation date of a file when reorganising files in directory

Discus and support Keeping the creation date of a file when reorganising files in directory in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I´m reorganising my files in a more orderly way and therefore drag the files, created with former dates, into the new captions. Windows 10 saves them... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JoostKurstjens, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Keeping the creation date of a file when reorganising files in directory

I´m reorganising my files in a more orderly way and therefore drag the files, created with former dates, into the new captions.

Windows 10 saves them automatically, but then the original creation date of my files is lost and I would like to keep them.

How to solve this problem pls?

Many thanks

J. Kurstjens

:)

JoostKurstjens, Mar 16, 2020
  2. Motim Win User

Files Creation Date

Helllo,
    I have several folders with important documents, letters, notes etc. To keep then safe I just copied the several folders to another location (another disc) in the computer. Noticed that all files in the new location got current date as creation date, not as the originals.
    Tried some backup programs, but when they backup / copy the source folders / files to the target location, files creation date is changes to current date.
    Is it possible to do it keeping the original creation date of the files.
    Answers will be appreciated.
    Thanks

Winver = 1809 17763.864

Motim, Mar 16, 2020
  3. Cikis Win User
    Restore from the File History overwrites the creation and change dates of all directories

Hello,

Restore via File History works well except for the fact that all the restored directories have incorrect date of creation and date of modification. These dates were changed to the current date which is very unfortunate and useless for me. It makes it impossible
    for quick and easy sort and search.

I need to get the data from the backup in the original form, including the original creation and modification dates of all directories.

Fortunatelly, files retain these parameters. Issue is only valid for directories.

Is there any way to restore data created via File History, including the original creation / change dates for all directories?

Thank you.

Cikis, Mar 16, 2020
  4. graye Win User

Keeping the creation date of a file when reorganising files in directory

Restore from the File History overwrites the creation and change dates of all directories

The short answer is "no"

There is a fundamental issue with creation and mod dates on folders that make them more difficult to change. There are some free 3rd-party utilities that can help...

How to Change the Last Modified Date, Creation Date, and Last Accessed Date for Files and Folders

graye, Mar 16, 2020
Thema:

Keeping the creation date of a file when reorganising files in directory

1. Keeping the creation date of a file when reorganising files in directory - Similar Threads - Keeping creation date

2. Some files and folders with wrong creation dates.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some files and folders with wrong creation dates.: I'm a windows 11 pro user. I have installed the OS to a new Drive on August 2023, But there is an empty folder called perflogs which's creation date is 6/5/2021 and also there are some files in the windows folder which has nonsense creation dates like 6/5/2021, 2/23/2017,...
  3. Some files and folders with wrong creation dates.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Some files and folders with wrong creation dates.: I'm a windows 11 pro user. I have installed the OS to a new Drive on August 2023, But there is an empty folder called perflogs which's creation date is 6/5/2021 and also there are some files in the windows folder which has nonsense creation dates like 6/5/2021, 2/23/2017,...
  4. File directory hangs when saving file as

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File directory hangs when saving file as: File directory hangs when saving file as https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-directory-hangs-when-saving-file-as/268e022c-860e-464e-9949-e48b9e3056f7
  5. Creation date of a file

Creation date of a file: I rename in PowerShell an existing file from Syslog.log to SyslogBack.log. The creation date of SyslogBack.log is inherited from Syslog.log which is OK.Now I create a new Syslog.log using the PowerShell cmdlet Add-content.It turns out that Windows did not forget about the...
  6. Creation date of a file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creation date of a file: I rename in PowerShell an existing file from Syslog.log to SyslogBack.log. The creation date of SyslogBack.log is inherited from Syslog.log which is OK.Now I create a new Syslog.log using the PowerShell cmdlet Add-content.It turns out that Windows did not forget about the...
  7. Creation date of a file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Files Creation Date

in Windows 10 Support
    Files Creation Date: Helllo, I have several folders with important documents, letters, notes etc. To keep then safe I just copied the several folders to another location (another disc) in the computer. Noticed that all files in the new location got current date as creation date, not as the...
  9. File creation date is changed

File creation date is changed: The date and time on my Surface Book Pro Windows 10 is correct. But if a create a new file, the date is wrong https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-creation-date-is-changed/486fc3cc-7ace-4dca-8dd7-ba03bd9c631b"
  10. File Manager for Sorting Files by Creation Date Across Folders

in Windows 10 Support
    File Manager for Sorting Files by Creation Date Across Folders: I am needing to sort all data files on my disk in chronological order. Does anybody know of a free app that will let me sort all my files in chrono order? This came up in my first search: Total Commander Total Commander - Wikipedia Total Commander - home Total Commander -...