Windows 10: Keeping W 8 through PC warrantee and beyond.

Discus and support Keeping W 8 through PC warrantee and beyond. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; You will have to do an upgrade before July 2016 to get it for free. But you do not have to stay on Windows 10. When you do the upgrade to Windows 10,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Hawgwash, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Hawgwash Win User

Keeping W 8 through PC warrantee and beyond.

Ok, thanks.
    I will take my time to read and reread all that has been said here, study up on Macrium Reflect and go from there.
    Does the system image back up have to go on a HD?
    Will a USB work the same or do I need to go through the extra step of creating an ISO?
    Not sure I understand the ISO part all that well.

Hawgwash, Oct 14, 2015
  2. spapakons Win User

An ISO is a DVD-ROM image. It can be mounted directly on a virtual DVD-ROM drive, or burn to a DVD disk. Yes, you can use a USB disk or even a USB flash drive as soon as your image fits there (Macrium Reflect should tell you how much space it will need). I don't know for Macrium Reflect, but other programs even allow you to burn some DVD disks which you can use to restore your computer. This is rather risky though as anything happens to one of them, the whole backup is useless.

spapakons, Oct 14, 2015
  3. Hawgwash Win User
    Yes and my new Zenbook lacks an optical DVD drive anyway.

Hawgwash, Oct 14, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

It's a matter of how much space you have used on your hard drive and how much storage you have on the device you are saving the image to. The image from Macrium Reflect will be one file that has the entire contents of your hard drive on it. It will be about 80 to 90% as big as all the used space on your hard drive. To me it is totally worth it to spend $80 for a 750gb or 1tb hard drive - and it's a lot faster too. When you have the image, you can also use Macrium Reflect to mount that image file as a drive letter and you can pull individual files and folders from it, if you don't want to restore the whole thing.

This is in reference to making the Windows 10 install USB. The Media Creation Tool will give you two options to start with - Upgrade this PC now - or make installation media for another PC. The second option can be used on the same computer at a later time, it doesn't have to be for a different computer.

The upgrade this PC now option will do just that - it will down load Windows 10 and start the upgrade.

The second option first lets you choose which version of Windows 10 you want. Choose the same version that your Windows 8.1 is, probably 64 bit Home. Then it asks you if you want to make a USB flash drive or if you want to save the ISO file for later. Both have their advantages - just make the USB flash drive is the easiest, and that is what I recommend for you. The ISO file is more versatile in that you can mount it, make a DVD from it, make a USB from it and have the ability to run the upgrade in a much faster way than the USB - but make the USB directly from the Media Creation Tool and you can use that USB to do the upgrade and have it later too.

NavyLCDR, Oct 14, 2015
  5. Hawgwash Win User
    OK, thanks, Navy.
    You have been a great help.
    I have 150GB empty space but prefer to keep the DL outside.
    Does doing it the way you recommend "for me"; direct to USB or external SSD mean I still have to install by July 2016?

Hawgwash, Oct 14, 2015
  6. spapakons Win User
    Yes, to take advantage of the free upgrade, you must install before deadline.

spapakons, Oct 14, 2015
  7. There are a couple of ways you can approach this. Before you do anything you should backup what you don't want to lose, to external media. Just in case something goes wrong. Image your current setup if you want. Then do the free upgrade and make sure your Windows 10 is activated. That will store your digital entitlement to Windows 10 on the activation server. Once that is done you can clean install Windows 10 anytime you want, even after the one year free offer is over. You've already took them up on it. Then use the rollback option to go back to Windows 8.1 if you want. You have 30 days to do it. If you like Windows 10 don't bother. Anytime you want you can clean install Windows 8.1 with install media from here, http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...-refresh-media. That install media will read and use the OEM embedded product code, and activate online with it. This will give you a nice clean install minus all the OEM junk that came preinstalled. I did it on my ASUS laptop. I'm running Windows 10 on it now though.

alphanumeric, Oct 14, 2015
  8. Hawgwash Win User

Thanks to you too, alphanumeric.
    Lots of good stuff for me now.

Hawgwash, Oct 15, 2015
  9. Hawgwash Win User
    Back again...
    If there is room, can I put two (Macrium) images, a W7 and an 8.1, on the same SSD?

Hawgwash, Nov 17, 2015
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yes. They are just regular files like any other file.

NavyLCDR, Nov 17, 2015
  11. Hawgwash Win User
    Great.
    Thanks again for the speedy reply.

Hawgwash, Nov 17, 2015
  12. Hawgwash Win User
    Hawgwash, Nov 19, 2015
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

Not exactly. You don't need a rescue disk in order to make the image. You will need the rescue disk if your computer becomes unable to boot from the hard drive and you want to restore an image.

There is a way to add the Macrium Reflect Free rescue ISO to a Windows 10 Installation USB - but it's a little bit complicated. There is an option in Macrium Reflect Free to save a rescue ISO file instead of burning a DVD/CD. Then you copy the ISO file to the Windows 10 Installation USB. Then you use EasyBCD to open the BCD store on the USB drive and add a boot menu item pointing to the ISO file. It will defrag the ISO file and add the menu item to boot from the ISO. Now you have a dual boot USB drive - Windows Setup or Macrium Reflect Free.

My "go to" USB drive is triple boot: Windows Setup, Macrium Reflect Free ISO, and MiniTool Partition Wizard Free ISO.

The easy way is to create a separate bootable USB or DVD with Macrium Reflect Free, though.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Keeping W 8 through PC warrantee and beyond. - Similar Threads - Keeping through warrantee

2. Reinstall Win11ProforWorkstation w/o Going Through Upgrade AGAIN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstall Win11ProforWorkstation w/o Going Through Upgrade AGAIN: Bought Workstation laptop/ships with Windows10Home. Upgraded to Windows11ProforWorkstation $$$. Kept up-to-date with ALL Microsoft updates.Now 2.5 years later and I need to refresh the laptop.How to force the refresh to refresh to Win11ProforWorkstations at the latest...
  3. Reinstall Win11ProforWorkstation w/o Going Through Upgrade AGAIN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reinstall Win11ProforWorkstation w/o Going Through Upgrade AGAIN: Bought Workstation laptop/ships with Windows10Home. Upgraded to Windows11ProforWorkstation $$$. Kept up-to-date with ALL Microsoft updates.Now 2.5 years later and I need to refresh the laptop.How to force the refresh to refresh to Win11ProforWorkstations at the latest...
  4. PC Keeps Typing Numbers Mainly 8 and 2

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC Keeps Typing Numbers Mainly 8 and 2: My PC often glitches out and starts typing random numbers - mostly 8 and 2. I don't know if this is a Windows problem but I know that it's not my keyboard or mouse because I have unplugged them and my PC continues to type these numbers. Also, when this 'glitch' occurs, the...
  5. This PC Is Beyond Your Fantasy!! Take A Look!!

in Windows 10 Support
    This PC Is Beyond Your Fantasy!! Take A Look!!: So you think you have a Rockin PC!! NO! You Don't! This PC is beyond imagination. So if your a geek.. As we are.. you'll drool over this build buy Linus Tech! AKA (LTT) I cut this from the LTT video show cast for a Teaser to the build.. The full video to this amazing build...
  6. Beyond slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Beyond slow: I have a HP laptop that is beyond slow real slow it seems like it sticks when opening sometimes also stutters HP 500 GB HARD DRIVE 4 GB SYSTEM MEMORY I did recovery should run like new but it is beyond slow Submitting this reply takes over 1 min to post...
  7. how to configure w-10 for internet through WIFI

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to configure w-10 for internet through WIFI: My laptop will not go on line using the router. all other devices connect. Jack https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/how-to-configure-w-10-for-internet-through-wifi/50b40946-b112-4f03-b25e-9243052736ee
  8. Dell Black Screen w/logo at start-up can't go beyond

in Windows 10 Support
    Dell Black Screen w/logo at start-up can't go beyond: Hi; I have a Dell XPS 8700 this is the second time this has happened I get a Black screen with the Dell logo at start-up, and the computer won't go beyond this. Pressing F12 don't do anything, I can't get into BIOS. The first time they replaced the Main Logic board, It...
  9. Upgrade to W 10 from W 8 NOT W 8.1

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade to W 10 from W 8 NOT W 8.1: I have a silly problem. I run W 8 on my desktop computer but have never been able to upgrade to W 8.1 as I have never been able to open Windows Store, despite multiple solutions none of which have worked. The only solution of reinstalling W 8 has not appealed! I am happy with...
  10. Restore W-10 from W-8 MFG restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore W-10 from W-8 MFG restore: Lenovo Yoga 13 that came with W-8 Had to do a restore to MFG, Windows 8. Can I download a W-10 iso and reinstall W-10??? Please Pretty please Desperate to get rid of 8. Also, have Insider Preview on other machine so I'm registered there. Figure if I can install the 10,...