Windows 10: keeps memory of what is plugged on USB ports

Discus and support keeps memory of what is plugged on USB ports in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I have a laptop and I travel a lot. Hence, I unplug and I replug most of my peripherical: mouse, keyboard, printer, etc. I change the USB drives... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by PiRoy, Feb 2, 2019.

1. PiRoy Win User

keeps memory of what is plugged on USB ports

Hi,

I have a laptop and I travel a lot. Hence, I unplug and I replug most of my peripherical: mouse, keyboard, printer, etc. I change the USB drives all the time.

I have a bug from windows 10. When I change the place of the peripherical, it looks like Windows 10 has identified the previous peripherical plugged at the USB port, and thus does not recognize the new connection. Hence it happens frequently that my printer is no longer recognized, and I cannot print. Or that my external keyboard even if recognized runs with bugs.

Recently I ran a program and I got "The device is not ready" on the "E:/" drive whereas nothing was plugged on the E" drive. The file system is giving "E:/" as an existing drive, but there is nothing on it. There used to be an USB key before, and I guess Windows has a wrong memory of it.

How can I make sure Windows does not keep a wrong memory of what is plugged on which USB port ?

Thank you in advance for your help

:)

PiRoy, Feb 2, 2019
  2. spapakons Win User

USB Port Oddities

Ok, let's see it with pictures step-by-step. First right-click on the USB device and select Update driver software:

keeps memory of what is plugged on USB ports [​IMG]

Then select Browse my computer for driver software (LAST option) :

The select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer (LAST option) :

Then select the standard driver from the list and click next:

Click next/OK as required to complete installation. Repeat the steps for all Intel USB devices. Finally click on each USB root device and press DEL to delete it, reply YES when asked. After deleting all USB root devices restart the computer.

I hope this is detailed enough...

spapakons, Feb 2, 2019
  3. jjtyler Win User
    USB port not working

I have an HP Pavilion dv6604nr laptop. I have 3 USB ports, 2 located on the left side and one located on the right side near the power supply port. For some reason, one of the USB ports on the left hand side will not recognize anything that is plugged
    into it. I have done all the steps and suggestions that is posted on this site, and still can't get it to work. The message I get is "The last USB device that was connected has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it." It shows in the Device Manager
    as Unknown USB Device(Port Reset Failed). When I have a USB device plugged into the non-working port, it shows up in the Devices and Printers folder, but the device does not work. I am at my wits end. Can anyone help me or suggest any other things to try?
    Oh, I am running Windows 10 pro.

jjtyler, Feb 2, 2019
  4. Ruz San Win User

USB ports failed

Hi,

To fully isolate where this problem is coming from, please answer the following:

• Have you tried connecting the peripheral devices to another computer to check if they will function?
    • How old is the laptop?

You can find additional things to try to fix USB port problems on this
    page.

We also suggest you run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter
    in Windows 10. Here are the steps:

• Press the Windows key on your keyboard.
    • Type Troubleshooting then press Enter.
    • On the left side, click View all.
    • Select Hardware and Devices.
    • Click Next and see if it will find any problems.

Keep us updated about the issue.

Ruz San, Feb 2, 2019
Thema:

1. keeps memory of what is plugged on USB ports - Similar Threads - keeps memory plugged

2. Windows does not recognize devices plugged into the USB port

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows does not recognize devices plugged into the USB port: Windows cannot recognize any device being plugged into the USB port. Doesn't make any difference if it 2.0 or 3.0. I went into device manager and uninstalled Intel USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller-1.10Microsoft, USB Composite Device, USB Root Hub 3.0 rebooted drivers...
  3. Windows does not recognize devices plugged into the USB port

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows does not recognize devices plugged into the USB port: Windows cannot recognize any device being plugged into the USB port. Doesn't make any difference if it 2.0 or 3.0. I went into device manager and uninstalled Intel USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller-1.10Microsoft, USB Composite Device, USB Root Hub 3.0 rebooted drivers...
  4. Different devices plugged into random usb ports?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Different devices plugged into random usb ports?: if I plug "device A" into "USB 1", and plug "device B" into "USB 2", then disconnect both devices and plug "device B" into "USB 1" there will be a device-driver conflict? Thanks! *Smile 173183
  5. BSOD after USB flash memory plug in

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD after USB flash memory plug in: Hello, I have Win 10 Home installed in my Lenovo laptop. After v2004 Win 10 update, I have problem with USB. When I plug in USB flash into it, I have always BSOD - system exception. All USB ports - same problem. All Win 10 updates are installed, latest firmware, all drivers...
  6. keeping a usb port incognito

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    keeping a usb port incognito: i want to make a usb port incognito from everything on my computer other than veiwing and editing on that file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/keeping-a-usb-port-incognito/84497ffb-540d-42c6-8c33-9cb1f4a4eb74
  7. Tough To Plug in USB Drivers into Front Port

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Tough To Plug in USB Drivers into Front Port: Hello All I have a Media Card Reader on my Asus G11CD-K, and lately my USB 3.0 ports in front are kinda hard to plug into for some of my drives, should i clean those out next time i do dust cleaning? ((Only have an Electric air duster, Xpower device is that safe to use for...
  8. USB ports are not recognizing what is attached

USB ports are not recognizing what is attached: Does anybody else have the issue where you attach a drive, phone etc to your PC and it does not get recognized? I have Windows 10 home on an ASUS laptop. Very frustrating!...
  9. memory card port/ usb ports not recognized

memory card port/ usb ports not recognized: I have been having issues when trying to upload or move files, pics, anything from a memory card and my USB ports. some show on one of the usb ports but not all the time. HELP....FRUSTRATED...
  10. Plug into different USB port after shutdown?

Plug into different USB port after shutdown?: If I unplug all the USB connections to modify the computer (insert/remove pci card, etc) and replug the USB connections back into different locations, they do not work....at least not immediately. I have to reboot a few times, disconnect them, reboot, etc. and eventually they...