Windows 10: Keeps resetting window/display configuration when changing monitor's settings

Discus and support Keeps resetting window/display configuration when changing monitor's settings in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hey. I have a dual monitor setup. On Windows, when I change some of the settings on my primary monitor (like turning on/off FreeSync), Windows moves... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Alex_Wells, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Keeps resetting window/display configuration when changing monitor's settings

Hey.

I have a dual monitor setup. On Windows, when I change some of the settings on my primary monitor (like turning on/off FreeSync), Windows moves all of my windows to my secondary monitor and sets it as a primary one. As soon as I switch the setting back, I do get my primary monitor set back as primary in Windows, so I guess Windows detects it as a new monitor every time I switch the settings. This is so annoying that I completely stopped switching profiles/settings on the monitor, but I would like to.

On the other hand, MacOS works just the way I would expect it to work: nothing is moved accross virtual desktops/screens, nothing is set as a primary monitor until I PHYSICALLY unplug the HDMI cable. I can change whatever settings I want and even turn off the monitor - the system won't do anything.

Question is: can I mimic MacOS's behaviour on Windows? Is this Windows10's fault or graphic card vendor's?

submitted by /u/Alex_Wells
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Alex_Wells, Jun 28, 2020

2. No display on monitor when TV set as primary display

Issue solved

Removed DVI/HDMI cable from computer and monitor

Step 1: Check if the VGA monitor cable is defective.

1. Turn off computer
    2. Connect the monitor VGA cable from the monitor to the VGA port on the computer
    3. Turn on computer, VGA monitor cable is good.

Step 2: Tun off computer
    1. Connect HDMI Cable to HDMI port and TV
    2. Turn on computer and TV, there is no monitor black screen
    3. Click on the Windows logo, select the Settings icon , and then select

System. Under Display there are two squares, labeled 1 and 2

D Click on Advanced Display Settings:

Display information: Display 1- Monitor Display 2 -TV

E Right-click the Speakers icon in
      the taskbar, select Sound, click on Playback devices,

a s tv screen with my brand shows
      AMD High Definition Audio Device ready.

F. Problem solved

Cause of the problem: Defective VGA port on the Syba VGA HD15+ 3.5 Audio to HDMI converter

Rooben Kajima, Jun 28, 2020
  3. Vivian_S Win User
    External monitor display settings

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with the display scaling on your external displays. We will certainly look into this for you.

As you are using Vizio TV, you may have to try using custom resolution settings if the in-built settings do not provide the required settings.

For better clarity, please let us know:

• What is the version of Windows 10 that is currently installed on your computer? You can click on Search and type
      winver.
    • Are you aware of any recent changes to the system, such as updates, after which you are facing this issue?
    • What is the make and model of your computer?

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to check the steps mentioned in the Workaround section in

Windows scaling issues for high-DPI devices

I would also suggest you to check the Display drivers. Please refer

Troubleshoot external monitor connections in Windows 10

Set up dual monitors on Windows 10

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Vivian S

Vivian_S, Jun 28, 2020
  4. Noor_Azam Win User

Keeps resetting window/display configuration when changing monitor's settings

Can not use two monitors. Error message: "The display settings could not be saved. Please try a different combination of display settings"

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Since when are you facing this issue with the monitors?
    • Which build version of Windows 10 is installed on your computer?
    • What happens when you try to duplicate the monitors?

I suggest you to try changing the display ports of the monitors and check if the second monitor is getting detected.

I suggest you to follow the methods mentioned below and check if that helps.

Method 1: Try rolling back the driver.

To roll back the driver to previous build follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press and hold the Windows + X key on the keyboard.
    2. Select Device manager.
    3. In Device manager, expand Display adaptor.
    4. Right click on NVIDIA
      Drivers and select Properties.
    5. Navigate to the Driver tab and click on Roll Back Driver.
    6. Restart the computer.

Method 2: Change the screen resolution.

1. Go to Settings>System>Display.
    2. Under Resolution, set the resolution as 1024 x 768.
    3. Set the same resolution on the other monitor.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Noor Azam S

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Noor_Azam, Jun 28, 2020
Thema:

Keeps resetting window/display configuration when changing monitor's settings

1. Keeps resetting window/display configuration when changing monitor's settings - Similar Threads - Keeps resetting window

2. Display automatically change their configuration when click on windows 10 display settings.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display automatically change their configuration when click on windows 10 display settings.: I have a Windows 10 on my laptop which has an Nvidia graphic card Quadro 1000M. I configured the display contrast and gamma from the control panel of Nvidia and saved this setting but something went wrong when I opened the settings of Windows and then entered system/display...
  3. Display automatically change their configuration when click on windows 10 display settings.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Display automatically change their configuration when click on windows 10 display settings.: I have a Windows 10 on my laptop which has an Nvidia graphic card Quadro 1000M. I configured the display contrast and gamma from the control panel of Nvidia and saved this setting but something went wrong when I opened the settings of Windows and then entered system/display...
  4. Display automatically change their configuration when click on windows 10 display settings.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Screen Brightness Changes when Connecting External Monitor or Changing Display Settings on...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen Brightness Changes when Connecting External Monitor or Changing Display Settings on...: I posted this a while ago but no one answered, hence I will post it again!Hello everyone,Video links of issue:https://drive.google.com/file/d/17FR4ZdeHKRxp5tFdpOVnSBTAMG3Shump/view?usp=sharinghttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1f4g9KInXzW8ToQ4NkG9h17yXsGytCXYt/view?usp=sharingI...
  6. Monitor/Display Settings Keep Resetting Every Tuesday Night

in Windows 10 Customization
    Monitor/Display Settings Keep Resetting Every Tuesday Night: I have been working from home for 10 months now. My laptop HP Pavilion running Windows 10 is hooked up to two monitors via HDMI and an HDMI/USB adapter. It runs well and I have no issues, except for this one: Every Wednesday morning when I login for work, I have to reset...
  7. Reset display and setting 4k monitor

Reset display and setting 4k monitor: I have just bought my new 4K monitor. I connected it to my laptop and it is working beautifully. I put my laptop in stand-up for a while. Then, when I reopened it, I couldn't connect my screen anymore it is working with another laptop than the monitor is working. In the...
  8. Display settings keep changing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Display settings keep changing: So I have a laptop that I use mostly on a dock with an external monitor hooked up. I have it set as 2 separate displays, but when I take my laptop off the dock and use it as a normal laptop, and then put it back on the dock, the main display stays as the laptop rather than...
  9. Windows taskbar sound configuration setting keep resetting

Windows taskbar sound configuration setting keep resetting: Windows Taskbar sound configuration setting keep resetting after a reboot . ASUS Audio Center is OK,setting stay fine If I shut down They will stick .Upon reboot They reset to 2 channel and 16bit 44100 Hz ,have to keep resetting themThank youwindows 10 ent 16294RS3Asus...
  10. Display Monitor Setting Changes on Startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Display Monitor Setting Changes on Startup: I have a Toshiba laptop running Windows 10. My main display monitor is a LG 24 widescreen plugged into the laptop. With Windows 7, I had no problems in using Fn key f5 to set the display to only the LG (showing as "CRT" on the screen). This did not change when I re-booted...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows changes monitor settings when turned off