Windows 10: Kernel Streaming and WaveRT Buffer Size - Differences between Win7 and Win10

Discus and support Kernel Streaming and WaveRT Buffer Size - Differences between Win7 and Win10 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I use Ableton to apply a Finite Impulse Response (FIR) filter correction to Windows Sound Mapper Audio. I'm using Synchronous Audio Router (SAR) to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by aerosplat, Jul 23, 2019.

1. aerosplat Win User

Kernel Streaming and WaveRT Buffer Size - Differences between Win7 and Win10

I use Ableton to apply a Finite Impulse Response (FIR) filter correction to Windows Sound Mapper Audio. I'm using Synchronous Audio Router (SAR) to create a synthetic ASIO sound device to capture the Sound Mapper output and route it to Ableton where the FIR filter can be applied prior to sending it to a Roland Octa-capture and then to speakers.

Under Win7, I was able to use an ASIO buffer size of 1536 samples at 192kHz. This buffer size guaranteed glitch free audio through the signal path. Under Win10, however, attempting to use an ASIO buffer size of 1536 samples results in horrible continuous buffer underruns, almost as if something on the Windows side (KS or WaveRT) is imposing a buffer size limitation of less than 8ms. I can reduce the ASIO buffer size to 1024 samples and get "almost glitch free" audio, but "almost" isn't good enough and smaller buffer sizes result in even more glitchiness. Reducing the sample rate doesn't help.

I've read everything I can find regarding how KS and WaveRT are employed in Windows, but I was unable to find any acknowledged differences in the implementation between Win7 and Win10. It's obvious something has changed and a lot of people have complained about Win10 audio glitches that weren't present in Win7, but I'm not aware that anyone has come out and said, "Yes; Win10 is different and here's how to fix it..."

Has anyone run into this problem and found a fix?

Thanks!

V/r,

-Dale

:)

aerosplat, Jul 23, 2019
  2. Scoobydu Win User

homegroup win10 not recognize printer & scanner on win7 computer

Thank you so much for the quick response to my problem.

my devices I am trying to access on the win7 computer are:

Printer: Stylus Photo R200

Scanner: Perfection 4180

I had these originally on my computer B4 win10 install. After the install they did not work. That is why I connected to my other win7 computer. The win7 is within my Homegroup and when I access thru win10 I get access to docs, picts, videos, etc but not
    the above devices. Reversing this, accessing my win10 computer from the win7, I get the icon my Epson Workforce 310 printer which I set up on the win7 computer for printing as well as the above devices.

Went to Epson website on the win7 comp & found the recommended driver for win7. Did the same on the win10 comp to find drivers for win10. (Did not update these drivers yet.) Apparently they have 2 different drivers dependent on WIN version. Both drivers
    are up to date.

Is it possible the drivers are not compatible and this accounts for these devices not showing up on the win10 machine? Don't know if win10 driver will work on win7. I may try to set these up on win10 machine. If work can upgrade win7 to win10.

I tried steps 1 & 2. Step 3, I know I have devices set to show on the network.

Any other suggestions/comments??

Scoobydu, Jul 23, 2019
  3. Jay Jap Win User
    Buffering on Windows 10 is giving me a headache. Please help

Hello David,

There are multiple reasons why your Movies and TV app buffers. I would like to know more information to isolate the concern:

• When did it start?
    • What changes have you made prior to the issue.
    • Is this happening to other streaming apps, like YouTube, Netflix, etc.?

In the meantime, I suggest that you perform the troubleshooting steps in this
    article
    to isolate the issue.

We will wait for your response.

Regards.

Jay Jap, Jul 23, 2019
  4. Kernel Streaming and WaveRT Buffer Size - Differences between Win7 and Win10

HP Stream & Win10

The 32Gb memory on the HP Stream is not big enough to accommodate all the Win10 updates. How can I reduce the size of Win10 to say 20Gb?

Harry Pard, Jul 23, 2019
Thema:

Kernel Streaming and WaveRT Buffer Size - Differences between Win7 and Win10

1. Kernel Streaming and WaveRT Buffer Size - Differences between Win7 and Win10 - Similar Threads - Kernel Streaming WaveRT

2. Match font size between different applications

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Match font size between different applications: OS: Win 11Problem: File explorer and system dialog font sizes don't match font size settings, and are far too small to read - see screenshot.Detail: System dialog and file explorer font sizes don't match the rest of the environment. File explorer font size is very small, and...
  3. live stream buffering

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    live stream buffering: When I watch live stream webcam the picture keeps stopping and buffering for a long time. How do I fix this? Please contact me at *** Email address is removed for privacy *** thank you...
  4. Confused between installing win7 or win10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Confused between installing win7 or win10: So I recently bought a new SSD and installed windows 10 pro on it (which was provided by a friend in a USB) after installing it i noticed that my fan was making a lot of noise . I cleaned it up there was some dust etc on it ig but it is still making that noise which is...
  5. Folder sharing between WIN10 and WIN7 troubles

Folder sharing between WIN10 and WIN7 troubles: I have a desktop PC running Windows10 and an older laptop that is running Windows7. This is a home computer setup with full admin rights on both machines. I am trying to share folders between the machines over the home network. Both machines can see the other, but when I...
  6. the main difference I notice between win7 and win10. Why?

in Windows 10 Support
    the main difference I notice between win7 and win10. Why?: I'm a new Win10 user and have it tweaked to look and operate like Win7. All is good. When I click on my programs in the Links Toolbar on the taskbar, the programs are loading more quickly than they used to in Win7. Same hardware, same 1/4 full samsung nvme pci-e ssd. Anyone...
  7. curious about two performance differences between Win10 and Win7

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    curious about two performance differences between Win10 and Win7: I just upgraded from Win7 to a clean install of Win10. Hardware specs are fairly high performance, using a clean boot with no startup programs for now, systems are identical other than the OS. Here are the two things that I notice that are different. On Win10 my programs...
  8. curious about two performance differences between Win10 and Win7

in Windows 10 Support
    curious about two performance differences between Win10 and Win7: I just upgraded from Win7 to a clean install of Win10. Hardware specs are fairly high performance, using a clean boot with no startup programs for now, systems are identical other than the OS. Here are the two things that I notice that are different. On Win10 my programs...
  9. How to sharing between Win7 & new Win10?

How to sharing between Win7 & new Win10?: Hello, i have 3 PC on my home network. 1 week ago i upgraded one of them from Win10 Pro (old version) to Win10 Pro (1803). PC1 - Win7 Pro PC2 - Win10 Pro (old) PC3 - Win10 Pro 1803 Before i did upgrade, these 3 PCs were connected with Home Group and sharing was working....
  10. In between Win10 and Factory Default Win7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    In between Win10 and Factory Default Win7: I am in W7 because I became stuck after an unsuccessful restore from image. I know the error code, but I am unsure of why it failed. I am trying to get back to W10 and my head is exploding - as it is day 5. External HD works, but I can't find my backups (pst file from...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. kernal streaming vs wave

2. win 10 buffer underruns