Windows 10: Key from previous upgrade 7 to 10, newly reset to Win7, would like to upgrade to Win 10

Discus and support Key from previous upgrade 7 to 10, newly reset to Win7, would like to upgrade to Win 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently today had to reset my desktop computer, which was initially set up using a genuinely acquired Windows 7 key of which I have the CD key for.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Disciple Actual, Dec 25, 2019.

1. Key from previous upgrade 7 to 10, newly reset to Win7, would like to upgrade to Win 10

I recently today had to reset my desktop computer, which was initially set up using a genuinely acquired Windows 7 key of which I have the CD key for. After reformatting the drives of the computer and booting into Windows 7, I am no longer given access to upgrading to the free previously offered Windows 10, of which I had prior. It shows up on my Microsoft account that Windows 10 Home was in fact installed on this machine prior to me reformatting it, but I am unable to get a usable CD key for it. I have downloaded the Windows 10 ISO through the upgrade to windows 10 app, but do not have a key that works for it since it asks for a windows 10 key.

From my previous upgrade to windows 10 at least 4 years ago I was never given a key, but do still have my windows 7 product key that I had to use once again to boot into windows 7. The microsoft website still lists this account as having my desktop as a windows 10 device with home.

:)

Disciple Actual, Dec 25, 2019

2. dual boot win7 + win 10 "upgrade"

I think so. You'll have to download the install media for Windows 10 via the Media Creation Tool. When it asks for a key, type in your Windows 7 key. It should activate...both Windows 7 and Windows 10 will be locked to your hardware profile.

The activation servers do not forget your Windows 7 license upon upgrading to Windows 10. You should be able to run both on the same hardware because, technically, they're both still licensed.

It used to be the former (had to do an in-place upgrade) but now you can also do the latter. The Windows 10 setup will accept Windows 10, Windows 7, and Windows 8.1 keys.

FordGT90Concept, Dec 25, 2019
  3. How to reinstall Windows 10 if my computers used the free upgrade from 7 and 8?

Will windows 10 still accept the license keys from 7 and 8 now if I reinstall my computer?

Does Microsoft keep a list of users who upgraded to Win 10 using their 7 and 8 keys so that when users need to reinstall windows 10 the old keys would work?

Do I need to call in Microsoft to ask them to activate my Windows 10 when I give them my win 7 keys?

Both computers are laptops. The windows 7 machine had the serial printed on the back, and I needed to enter that when I upgraded to 10. The windows 8 machine had the serial built in inside its boot system so I didn't need to enter the key when I upgraded to 10, but I did manage to write down the keys using a fetcher program.

JebusPrime, Dec 25, 2019
  4. Key from previous upgrade 7 to 10, newly reset to Win7, would like to upgrade to Win 10

dual boot win7 + win 10 "upgrade"

alright idiot question time, as my search foo must suck and gets possibly out of date info

currently have win7 pro x64 and want to run win10 ONLY for games to take advantage of dx12. I know I can get the "upgrade" to 10 and then revert back to 7 BUT can I dual boot both? does the win7 key get blown away once 10 is installed?

basically does microsoft allow both to run? not at the same time of course but dual boot with only one or the other active at one time.

as for installing, do you still have to upgrade to lock in the key to the current hardware, then do a clean install and use that win10 key? or can I just install win10 clean with the win7 key to begin with? there were a few
    variants on how that worked..

sorry for noobish question but most stuff I found searching was for preview builds of 10 that were not tied to the existing OS key,

verycharbroiled, Dec 25, 2019
Thema:

Key from previous upgrade 7 to 10, newly reset to Win7, would like to upgrade to Win 10

1. Key from previous upgrade 7 to 10, newly reset to Win7, would like to upgrade to Win 10 - Similar Threads - Key previous upgrade

2. HAVE UPGRADED WIN7 TO WIN 10.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HAVE UPGRADED WIN7 TO WIN 10.: MY BIOS IS 5.15 WITH NO TPM AVAILABILITY. TO GO UP TO WIN 11 I NEED TO UPGRADE THE BIOS, HOW DO I DO THAT WHEN HP SAY THERE IS NO UPDATE AVAILABLE ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/have-upgraded-win7-to-win-10/10459ef3-077a-42cf-8a7f-e674fc436341
  3. Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10: Hello.Few days ago i make upgrade to Windows 10 on my computer with Windows 7 PRO licence. I know that the free upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 is not free any more. If i check Activation status it is Activeted with digital licence. Is this legal?...
  4. Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 on a newly built pc?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 on a newly built pc?: Hi guys, I just built a new pc and I want to know if its possible to use the win 7 license that I have from my old pc to activate windows 10 on my new pc. Anyone knows how I could do this, or if its even possible? Thanks. submitted by /u/pengis_m [link] [comments]...
  5. Win7 to Win 10 Upgrade

Win7 to Win 10 Upgrade: I have had my desktop upgraded from Win7 Ultimate to Win 10 Pro. I cannot connect to the internet now. I use Satellite NBN. Also use a wireless router for the laptop. Laptop connects fine also running W10 I have direct connected to BB modem with ethernet cable shows...
  6. Upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10: If I upgrade my operating system to Win 10 , must I redownload and reinstall all the games that I have on my PC ( around 12 Terabytes ) ? or there is a workaround to avoid that ( so that I can play them in Win 10 without the hassle ) ? Most of the games are on ( steam ,...
  7. Upgrading from Win7 to Win 10 on a samsung.

Upgrading from Win7 to Win 10 on a samsung.: Install completes to 100% and fails at last hurdle with error C1900101-20017. Lots of ideas on internet to resolve which I've done but still does not upgrade. Following updates fail KB3075226 and KB2952664. s there a magic solution I can use?...
  8. upgrade to win 10 from 7

upgrade to win 10 from 7: I upgraded briefly about 2 years ago from 7 to 10 and then within an hour went back to win 7. Since that time my "setup backup " and thus backup would not complete.. a couple of days ago after some digging i was getting error code ox80041321 for which after trying a couple...
  9. upgrade from win 7 to 10

upgrade from win 7 to 10: I have an existing desktop computer running with windows 7. I purchased a new windows 10 dvd. My windows 7 is win 10 compatible. All the help ie videos etc seem to be based on using the windows "media creation tool" and not the official Microsoft dvd. If anyone can guide me...
  10. Upgrade from Win7 to Win 10 failure

Upgrade from Win7 to Win 10 failure: When using a genuine Microsoft supplied flash drive to upgrade from a registered version of Win 7 Pro All updates checked and installed, starts "checking system" process then generates error message: "Setup has failed to validate the product key" Can not do clean install...