Windows 10: .Key Recovery file was generated when encrypting a folder or file that prompted for finger...

Discus and support .Key Recovery file was generated when encrypting a folder or file that prompted for finger... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, Can you help? I was able to right click on any file or folder and click a yellow lock icon for encrypt or unlock icon for decrypt of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jonathan Lee jlee102, Sep 16, 2020.

1. .Key Recovery file was generated when encrypting a folder or file that prompted for finger...

Hello,

Can you help? I was able to right click on any file or folder and click a yellow lock icon for encrypt or unlock icon for decrypt of the files or folder, then Win 10 would prompt for a finger swipe. This made and saved a .key file for recovery for issues. Now I can not access the files after a full Win 10 reinstall. This feature was managed by Windows 10 not 3rd party software.

This option was a Windows 10 option I had enabled in security settings however after a fresh install of windows to test if i could see files again resulted in the files not even seen on my external drive. its as if they are invisible now.

How to i turn this magical hidden Windows 10 option back on?

I still have the same good working TPM and Bitlocker is turned back on after reinstall of Win 10 and running again but that second option with the lock and unlock on files and folders for crypt decrypt is gone when I right click files. both versions of windows are the same pro.

Please do not respond with go to properties that is not what I am asking for this is specifically for using biometrics finger swipe use to help with encryption of files that would generated a recovery .key extension file.

Testing is the only way to learn this and it seems that after a restore the files are not accessible like I thought would happen with Windows 10. That is when you would need to files the most. I saved the folder externally.

Windows 10 pro feature lost after reimage

:)

Jonathan Lee jlee102, Sep 16, 2020

2. Backup your file encryption key prompt

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the response.

The prompt suggests you have select to encrypt some files using the windows built-in encryption, to avoid losing your files Windows advise you to create a backup of the encryption key.

cipher.exe tool is run to display the encryption of folders and files on NTFS volumes.

I suggest you to follow the troubleshooting from the above by Aswin_Anand and reply with the results, we will be happy to help you further.

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, Sep 16, 2020
  3. dark2099 Win User
    Generating a .txt based file list in Windows 7

I want to be able to generate a .txt file that lists all the files and folders in a specific folder on my PC, but don't know the name of any programs that do that. Searched on google a bit and came up with this guide, but it's for XP and I can't seem to find some of the folder options to modify the .bat file. Any suggestions? Thanks

The Elder Geek

EDIT: The .bat file will do what I want if it is in the folder I want to do it in, but the option I want to add is having the right click option that it shows.

dark2099, Sep 16, 2020
  4. .Key Recovery file was generated when encrypting a folder or file that prompted for finger...

encrypted files

Hi Iman,

Error message 0x80071771 means that you need to restore the file encryption key in order for you to decrypt the encrypted files. On the other hand, you can still try these steps and see if it will work:

• Right-click the file or folder that you want to decrypt.
    • Click File ownership and click Personal.

Feel free to contact us if you need assistance with Windows.

Dennis Mop, Sep 16, 2020
Thema:

.Key Recovery file was generated when encrypting a folder or file that prompted for finger...

1. .Key Recovery file was generated when encrypting a folder or file that prompted for finger... - Similar Threads - Key Recovery file

2. Files and Folder Encryptions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files and Folder Encryptions: File and Folder encryption - During the test the files and folder made encrypted but due to reason the root drive formatted, now unable to access files and under file, advance setting the option is greyed, please suggestThanks in Advance...
  3. Files and Folder Encryptions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files and Folder Encryptions: File and Folder encryption - During the test the files and folder made encrypted but due to reason the root drive formatted, now unable to access files and under file, advance setting the option is greyed, please suggestThanks in Advance...
  4. encrypt file and folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    encrypt file and folder: i have windows 10 home single language so there is no bitlocker to encrypt data, and the option in properties is also greyed. i tried all the options on web and yt. can anyone help me to enable this option or recommend any trusted app....
  5. encrypt file and folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    encrypt file and folder: i have windows 10 home single language so there is no bitlocker to encrypt data, and the option in properties is also greyed. i tried all the options on web and yt. can anyone help me to enable this option or recommend any trusted app....
  6. encrypt file and folder

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Encrypting Files and Folders

Encrypting Files and Folders: Hi, I am not able to encrypt my files and folders. When I try it is Greyed up https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/encrypting-files-and-folders/770611cb-57e6-4499-87e2-f5990217d01a
  8. encrypted files & folders

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    encrypted files & folders: I noted that, after upgrading to windows 10 from windows 8.1, some files and folders became encrypted and I totally filed to to decryption. Help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/encrypted-files-folders/f1c14ffa-c987-4948-b8fd-a59e2d3443ba
  9. Encrypted files recovery using recovery key

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Encrypted files recovery using recovery key: Before upgrading my system to windows 10 from windows 8.1, I backed up my files into an external hard drive (files are encrypted), now I am unable to copy the files to my computer. It says i don't have permission. I modified the permission for one file to see whether its...
  10. [BitLocker] Encrypting without generating recovery key?

[BitLocker] Encrypting without generating recovery key?: Hi, is there a way to encrypt a BitLocker drive without generating a recovery key? Other encryption tools such as DiskCryptor/VeraCrypt/TrueCrypt or those found on Linux can simply be used with one PIN, no recovery key required. BitLocker also allows to encrypt using...