Windows 10: Key Repeat

Discus and support Key Repeat in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Ok so basically, Key repeat is the amount of time from when you hold down a key on your keyboard; and it continuously adds whatever letter you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Kye_, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Kye_ Win User

Key Repeat

Ok so basically, Key repeat is the amount of time from when you hold down a key on your keyboard; and it continuously adds whatever letter you inputted. For example, if I held down the "a" key for long enough, the computer interprets that as "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa". I'm trying to find out how to disable this function completely. I've looked at other similar questions to this but it seems that all the answers refer to the settings which instead of completely disabling the key repeat function, slow it. I found one command prompt entry which is as such a, "reg add "HKCU\Control Panel\Keyboard" /v KeyboardDelay /t REG_SZ /d "0" /f". The 0 at the end is the variable which determines the amount of time before key repeat is triggered. You can set it to an extremely high number such as 9999999999 but it seems that as the number gets bigger, the difference in time before the repeat is triggered exponentially decreases in effectiveness. I have already set it to this and the difference is quite small. If anyone has a solution I would greatly appreciate it if you could tell me because in certain tasks like in rhythm games for an example, it becomes very irritating. Sometimes, to clear a note, you need to hold down a key and I think you can tell where I'm going with this. Altogether, it isn't the biggest inconvenience ever but annoying enough for me to ask a question and get somewhat professional help so if you have a solution, please jot it down. Thank you very much.

:)

2. Arun B J Win User

Repeating Keys don't repeat

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue

Method 1: Run the
    Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your mouse. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.
    Method 2.Try updating the latest keyboard devices from the manufacturer's website and check if the issue persists.

Follow the steps to update the Keyboard drivers:

a. Press Windows key + X key and click Device Manager.

b. Expand the Keyboard driver.

c. Right-click on the HID Keyboard Device and click on Update driver software.

d. Restart the computer and check.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Mar 20, 2020
  3. Keyboard repeat delay and repeat speed

Hi Joseph,

I suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the keyboard driver. Follow the steps to uninstall & reinstall the keyboard driver from device manager.

• Press Windows key + X from the
      Keyboard
      and click on Device Manager.

• In Device Manager, double click on the
      Keyboard.

• It will show you the device driver name, select that device and then right click on it.

• Click on Uninstall button.

• Restart the computer, the drivers will get automatically installed on your Windows 10.

• Repeat the same for Mice and other pointing devices.

Hope it helps.

Deepak_Krishnan R, Mar 20, 2020
  4. hoyomi Win User

Key Repeat

Hold Key Doesn't Repeat in Every Application in WIndows 10

I am using Dell XPS13 9360 running Windows 10 with everything up to date (Windows update, Dell update, Bios, Intel Chipset, etc).

Recently, possibly after last bios upgrade, holding keys no longer repeat properly in every applications. A few examples:

• Office 2016 - backspace repeats but arrow and delete keys don't
    • Chrome/IE11 - nothing repeats
    • Edge - all keys repeat as expected

I tried all the suggestions around ticking or unticking "User Filter Keys" option. It didn't solve the problem. On-screen keyboard has the same behavior

The only way to "fix" the issue is to uninstall all keyboard drivers in device manager and reboot following the prompt. Once the PC is back up, every key repeats normal, but only till the next reboot where the issue reoccurs.

Is there anything else I can try to solve the problem once for all?

hoyomi, Mar 20, 2020
Thema:

Key Repeat

1. Key Repeat - Similar Threads - Key Repeat

2. certain keyboard keys glitching/stop working/repeat/jam and I DON'T think that's a hardware...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    certain keyboard keys glitching/stop working/repeat/jam and I DON'T think that's a hardware...: So, I have a problem with the Q and W keys on my keyboard. This issue started a few weeks ago, when those two keys started malfunctioning, and it ranged from not pressing the key when pressed or putting out a few 2-4 letters on the same press. I tried...
  3. certain keyboard keys glitching/stop working/repeat/jam and I DON'T think that's a hardware...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    certain keyboard keys glitching/stop working/repeat/jam and I DON'T think that's a hardware...: So, I have a problem with the Q and W keys on my keyboard. This issue started a few weeks ago, when those two keys started malfunctioning, and it ranged from not pressing the key when pressed or putting out a few 2-4 letters on the same press. I tried...
  4. certain keyboard keys glitching/stop working/repeat/jam and I DON'T think that's a hardware...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. One specific key will not auto-repeat when held down.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One specific key will not auto-repeat when held down.: I have an extremely specific issue that I cannot for the life of me figure out. I've already tried setting the keyboard speed and repeat rate, I've made sure Sticky Keys and Filter Keys are off. I've already tried toggling them.The issue is that every key on my keyboard works...
  6. One specific key will not auto-repeat when held down.

One specific key will not auto-repeat when held down.: I have an extremely specific issue that I cannot for the life of me figure out. I've already tried setting the keyboard speed and repeat rate, I've made sure Sticky Keys and Filter Keys are off. I've already tried toggling them.The issue is that every key on my keyboard works...
  7. My keyboard keys stick not physically, it will repeat a key inputs.

My keyboard keys stick not physically, it will repeat a key inputs.: Hey,Im not sure when it started but ive been dealing with this issue for months.When im typing normally or playing games, my keys tend to repeat inputs from what i can tell, its any key but i mainly notice it be the space part and letter keys. Sometimes it only seldomly does...
  8. My keyboard keys stick not physically, it will repeat a key inputs.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My keyboard keys stick not physically, it will repeat a key inputs.: Hey,Im not sure when it started but ive been dealing with this issue for months.When im typing normally or playing games, my keys tend to repeat inputs from what i can tell, its any key but i mainly notice it be the space part and letter keys. Sometimes it only seldomly does...
  9. My keyboard keeps repeating a random key suddenly.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My keyboard keeps repeating a random key suddenly.: It happens every few days. When the issue starts I even disconnected the keyboard and it keeps typing only a single letter or character indefinitely. My only solution is restarting the pc and it would work for a couple of days. How can I solve this issue definitely?...
  10. My keyboard keeps repeating a random key suddenly.

My keyboard keeps repeating a random key suddenly.: It happens every few days. When the issue starts I even disconnected the keyboard and it keeps typing only a single letter or character indefinitely. My only solution is restarting the pc and it would work for a couple of days. How can I solve this issue definitely?...