Windows 10: Keyboard accent keys not working

Discus and support Keyboard accent keys not working in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Portuguese (Portugal) keyboard layout, which means that acute is paired with grave as well as tilde and circumflex. Recently, about 5 days... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Artistic Sniper, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Keyboard accent keys not working

I have a Portuguese (Portugal) keyboard layout, which means that acute is paired with grave as well as tilde and circumflex. Recently, about 5 days ago, both my accent keys practically stopped working. Holding them very occasionally lays the punctuation down but it's basically impossible to accentuate letters as the keys are not functioning properly.
    At first I thought it was the actual hardware that wasn't working properly. I took the keys apart and looked into them. They were as good as new. Then, out of curiosity I decided to change Window's keyboard layout to be Portuguese (Brazil ABNT) and tried pressing the keys. They were working wonderfully, however they were displaying brackets instead of actual punctuation.
    This then lead me to believe the problem was a faulty driver. In short, installing the original factory driver solved nothing. I also looked into the sticky keys and company menu but that also wasn't on.
    I've tried everything to get the keyboard to work but with no success. I'd like to avoid factory resetting at all costs.

:)

Artistic Sniper, Sep 16, 2018

2. Keyboard Volume Keys not working while in-game

I happen to have used the Tt Challenger Pro keyboard in the past, and the volume keys worked flawlessly in every game, so it's indeed a weird problem. I would suggest the same thing sneekypeet suggested, using the keyboard software and assign this function to a hotkey, but you said that didn't work either, so yeah...

George_o/c, Sep 16, 2018
  3. Accents stopped working

After updating to version 1709, I cannot type acute accents any longer. I am using English as Windows language, with Latin American keyboard layout. I could type accents as "dead keys" until the update. Now the accents associated with acute and dieresis
    (key next to P key) do not work. Grave and circunflex still work (è, ê; not useful in Spanish, though). If I keep the key pressed for a couple of seconds, a double accent is produced: ´´ and ¨¨. So, the hardware of the key works.

I have tried changing the keyboard to Spanish (Latin American), without solving the problem. I tried several combinations of language and keyboard, without success.

Any suggestion wil be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Guillermo

GuillermoAbramson, Sep 16, 2018
  4. Eric Ber Win User

Keyboard accent keys not working

Troubles with accent on QWERTY keyboard

Hi Pillow,

Conflicts with the keyboard settings after the update is one of the possible reasons why you are having issues creating an accented letter using your keyboard. For us to assist you better, kindly answer the questions below:

• Which OS build number of Windows 10 is currently installed? To check, press the
      Windows key, type winver, and press the
      Enter
      key.
    • What application or platform are you trying to input this character?
    • What is the make and model of your keyboard?
    • Have you tried updating the keyboard driver?

Meanwhile, you can try to use the Character Map and check if you will be able to insert the accented letters. The Character Map was made to allow users to insert special characters on their documents. To open the Character Map, You can follow these steps:

• Press the Windows key + S to open Search
      Bar.
    • Type Character Map, then click it.
    • When the application launches, look for the special character that you want to insert on your document.

We'll be looking forward to your reply.

Eric Ber, Sep 16, 2018
Thema:

Keyboard accent keys not working

1. Keyboard accent keys not working - Similar Threads - Keyboard accent keys

2. Why do the accents keys work intermittently?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do the accents keys work intermittently?: For about a year now I've been having a very annoying issue with W11. When typing at any speed, the accent keys do not register. I mostly write in spanish, so it makes for a lot of typos. For instance, if I do it slowly, I can get:ááááábut if a pick up the pace:áááaáaaAs you...
  3. Why do the accents keys work intermittently?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why do the accents keys work intermittently?: For about a year now I've been having a very annoying issue with W11. When typing at any speed, the accent keys do not register. I mostly write in spanish, so it makes for a lot of typos. For instance, if I do it slowly, I can get:ááááábut if a pick up the pace:áááaáaaAs you...
  4. Backtick/Grave accent key doesn't work at all

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backtick/Grave accent key doesn't work at all: Tried on-screen keyboard.Tried changing key sequence.Tried input language change.Restarted computerUnplugged keyboard and plugged back in.Updated to latest version of windows.No cigar. If anyone could help or figure it out. That'd be nice....
  5. Backtick/Grave accent key doesn't work at all

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Backtick/Grave accent key doesn't work at all: Tried on-screen keyboard.Tried changing key sequence.Tried input language change.Restarted computerUnplugged keyboard and plugged back in.Updated to latest version of windows.No cigar. If anyone could help or figure it out. That'd be nice....
  6. Backtick/Grave accent key doesn't work at all

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Accents on French Canadian Keyboard

in Windows 10 Customization
    Accents on French Canadian Keyboard: Hello! I've started using the French Canadian keyboard setup on my standard keyboard because I'm writing in French more and more. My only problem is that everyone says that the ' button second from the right on the caps row should let me then press any letter and get an...
  8. Which US keyboard has accent grave key working in Windows 10 ?

Which US keyboard has accent grave key working in Windows 10 ?: I have been facing a problem for some days that in my English( India ) US International keyboard, the accent grave key is not working, so I can't access the console in COD4. While playing, I always need to switch to UK extended keyboard and after playing again back to US...
  9. Keyboard accents stop working everytime

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard accents stop working everytime: Hi everyone, I'm using Windows 10 system with Microsoft Comfort Desktop 5050, and in about 5 in 5 minutes the accents stop working. As a workaround, I switch to another language, and the accents start working again. Now I have the Portuguese language with ABNT2 Keyboard and...
  10. Keyboard accents stop working everytime

Keyboard accents stop working everytime: Hi everyone, I'm using Windows 10 system with Microsoft Comfort Desktop 5050, and in about 5 in 5 minutes the accents stop working. As a workaround, I switch to another language, and the accents start working again. Now I have the Portuguese language with ABNT2 Keyboard and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. accent on key board is not working

2. accent keys are not working

3. windows keyboard accents not working