Windows 10: Keyboard and mouse not working on lock screen

Discus and support Keyboard and mouse not working on lock screen in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Today as I booted up my computer as normal, I found that at the lock screen my keyboard and mouse did not work. After many restarts and trial and error... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Aidan King, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Keyboard and mouse not working on lock screen

Today as I booted up my computer as normal, I found that at the lock screen my keyboard and mouse did not work. After many restarts and trial and error with other keyboards, this is what I have found. All keyboards and mice tested work in the BIOS settings but aside from that the lights turn off on both devices and then it brings me to the login screen where I cannot interact with it. So far 3 keyboards and 2 mice have been tested all with the same result. Any advice?

:)

Aidan King, Aug 31, 2019
  2. Pauley Win User

Exit Lock Screen - Keyboard or Mouse click

I have multiple computers with the Win10 (64 bit) update. On two of the computers, if I enter the lock screen by using the Start-L keyboard shortcut, I can exit the lock screen (and enter the log on screen) by clicking the mouse or hitting a key. However, if there has been an extended period of time (e.g. overnight), on one computer I can only exit the lock screen by pressing a mouse button. On another computer I can only exit the lock screen by hitting the keyboard. I would like it to be able to use either to exit the lock screen. Some deltas:
    Computer 1 (mouse exit works) has wireless bluetooth mouse and keyboard.
    Computer 2 (keyboard exit works) has a wireless keyboard, but it is IR (so the IR receiver is tied to a USB port). The mouse is a Wacom mouse that works with my drawing tablet. The tablet is attached via USB.
    I upgraded both computers from WinXP 64bit, and did not have this issue.
    Any ideas? I'm thinking the devices must be entering some quiescent state when 'off' for a period of time, but, like I said, this did not happen with XP.

Pauley, Aug 31, 2019
  3. Keyboard and mouse unresponsive at lock screen

Hi Sean,

Thank you for using Windows 10.

I understand your concern and would suggest you to try to boot into Safe Mode with Networking. Here is the steps:

• Press and hold the shift key while clicking on
      Restart
      at the login Screen (Bottom right corner) > Troubleshoot>Advanced Options>Startup Settings>
      Restart >>Choose Enable Safe mode with networking.

If the mouse/keyboard works, then update the Mouse and keyboard driver. Here is the steps:

• Press Windows+X key on your desktop and select
      Device Manager.

• Locate the mouse drivers, expand, right click and click
      on Update.
    If it doesn’t help, then I would suggest you to
    uninstall and re-install the drivers in compatibility mode. Here is the steps:

• Go to your manufacturer’s website
      and download the Driver’s setup file for your computer.
    • Press Windows Key + R on your desktop screen to go to run box.
    • Type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.
    • Under Driver, expand, then right click and select
      Uninstall.
    • If you are prompted to Confirm then Confirm.
    • Go to the location where you had saved your downloaded setup files of the drivers and
      right click, then select Properties.
    • Select Compatibility Tab.
    • Place a check mark next to Run this program in Compatibility mode and select the operating system accordingly from the drop down list.
    • Let the driver to install and then check the functionality.
    Keep us informed about the status of the issue and let us know if you need further assistance and we’ll be happy to help you.

Navneet Anand, Aug 31, 2019
  4. Keyboard and mouse not working on lock screen

keyboard and mouse not working

Hi Chrystal,

For us to properly isolate the issue with your keyboard and mouse, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?
    • Are you using a wired or wireless keyboard and mouse?
    • Have you tried using a different keyboard and mouse? If yes, how was it?
    • Have you tried using your keyboard and mouse to another computer? If yes, what is the result?
    • To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

As an initial troubleshooting, we suggest that you try updating your keyboard and mouse drivers to resolve the issue. You may also check and follow the troubleshooting steps in this
    article.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Aug 31, 2019
Thema:

Keyboard and mouse not working on lock screen

1. Keyboard and mouse not working on lock screen - Similar Threads - Keyboard mouse working

2. Keyboard and mouse not responding in Lock Screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard and mouse not responding in Lock Screen: When I turned on my pc, it seem to load I. Normally with the windows symbol and loading icon.But once I get into the actual screen where I can enter my password, it seems that my keyboard and mouse wont register anymore.I can’t press space to continue or even see a mouse...
  3. Keyboard and mouse not responding in Lock Screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard and mouse not responding in Lock Screen: When I turned on my pc, it seem to load I. Normally with the windows symbol and loading icon.But once I get into the actual screen where I can enter my password, it seems that my keyboard and mouse wont register anymore.I can’t press space to continue or even see a mouse...
  4. Keyboard and mouse not responding in Lock Screen

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. keyboard and onscreen keyboard not working on lock screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    keyboard and onscreen keyboard not working on lock screen: I cant log into my laptop the number keys works but nothing else does i cant type on the onscreen keyboard not on my physical laptop keyboard it was fine the night bfr but when i turned it on this morning the keyboard stopped working and i cant turn log into my laptop through...
  6. keyboard and onscreen keyboard not working on lock screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    keyboard and onscreen keyboard not working on lock screen: I cant log into my laptop the number keys works but nothing else does i cant type on the onscreen keyboard not on my physical laptop keyboard it was fine the night bfr but when i turned it on this morning the keyboard stopped working and i cant turn log into my laptop through...
  7. keyboard and onscreen keyboard not working on lock screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Keyboard/mouse lock

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Keyboard/mouse lock: I have a new issue with my computer and the issue is that it will randomly lock my keyboard and mouse. I can't use any commands to get out of it and this forced me to have to hold down the power button. I just updated everything I can think of and I checked if updates were...
  9. Mouse and Keyboard not Working on Lock Screen W10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Mouse and Keyboard not Working on Lock Screen W10: This is related to a work computer. It is a brand new computer running Windows 10 version 1809. The problem: On the login/lock screen (the screen before typing your password) the keyboard and mouse don't work, except for hitting Control + Alt + Delete. Hitting Ctrl Alt...
  10. Exit Lock Screen - Keyboard or Mouse click

in Windows 10 Support
    Exit Lock Screen - Keyboard or Mouse click: I have multiple computers with the Win10 (64 bit) update. On two of the computers, if I enter the lock screen by using the Start-L keyboard shortcut, I can exit the lock screen (and enter the log on screen) by clicking the mouse or hitting a key. However, if there has been an...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. whay mouse cant work after screen lock