Windows 10: Keyboard and touchpad not working on Surface Laptop gen 1

Discus and support Keyboard and touchpad not working on Surface Laptop gen 1 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, I can only use the machine with an external mouse and keyboard. It used to be the case that when I unplugged the external mouse and keyboard,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by China_White1, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Keyboard and touchpad not working on Surface Laptop gen 1

Hello,

I can only use the machine with an external mouse and keyboard. It used to be the case that when I unplugged the external mouse and keyboard, I could get the device's mouse and keyboard to work after several restarts, but now they stopped working completely. The device's keyboard does not respond, though the function button will light up not Caps and so will the backlight. I cannot even find the Touchpad settings in the Mouse settings, and it is not listed in the device manager either. The model is Surface Laptop i5. Any help would be appreciated!

:)

China_White1, Jan 2, 2020
  2. Ticked Win User

laptop keyboard and touchpad not working

Problem: computer starts up normally and goes to the password log-in screen, but nothing happens when I try to enter the password. The computer doesn't appear to see any keystrokes.
    Solutions tried:

1. rebooted
    2. removed and replaced main battery
    3. attached USB keyboard
    4. hit Enter key on startup: successful in opening the Advance Options menu, but am unable to take any of the actions because all require that I enter the laptop password
    5. looked for an onscreen keyboard, but there isn't one because this isn't a touch screen computer
    Why I think this is a Windows issue:

1. the computer recognizes when I hit the Enter key on startup
    2. the USB keyboard doesn’t work
    3. the keyboard touchpad doesn’t work, but the attached USB mouse DOES work

Ticked, Jan 2, 2020
  3. nxavis9 Win User
    I want to disable touchpad on Dell laptop

Hello everyone,
    My laptop's touchpad works and I don't want it to, because I prefer a mouse. It's a Dell Inspiron 11 3000 series on windows 10 OS.

What I have tried that hasn't worked:
    • start<settings<devices<mouse & touchpad<additional mouse options. This opens a window called Mouse Options which has 5 tabs up top, none of which involve the touchpad. The Hardware tab shows 2 devices: the mouse itself, and the USB. No touchpad there.
    • windows key+x<mobility center. No touchpad to be found.
    • various function keys. No options for touchpad on/off.
    • device manager<mice and other pointing devices. Again, only the mouse and usb show up. It appears the touchpad is working without a driver, which is a little spooky.
    Any other suggestions? I could try downloading a third party driver, but that seems like a step in the wrong direction.
    Thanks

nxavis9, Jan 2, 2020
  4. KAYINFL Win User

Keyboard and touchpad not working on Surface Laptop gen 1

laptop keyboard and touchpad don't work

I am using a Lenovo B590.

No recent changes -- I had it running next to my desktop downloading some genealogy data and when I tried to Alt-Tab to another screen I discovered the keyboard was no longer responsive.

I have been able to attach an external keyboard so I can now use the computer, but the laptop's keyboard is still dead. The Touchpad is intermittently responsive. The Touchpad keys (left and right) work, but the pad itself is intermittent.

KAYINFL, Jan 2, 2020
Thema:

Keyboard and touchpad not working on Surface Laptop gen 1

1. Keyboard and touchpad not working on Surface Laptop gen 1 - Similar Threads - Keyboard touchpad working

2. 2 in 1 touchpad not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    2 in 1 touchpad not working: Hi all,I have an ASUS 2 in 1 laptop i purchase in 2019 that came with windows 10, and installed windows 11. I used to use the laptop with a separate keyboard and mouse and extra screen so I don't know when this started happening, but the mouse touchpad currently does not...
  3. 2 in 1 touchpad not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2 in 1 touchpad not working: Hi all,I have an ASUS 2 in 1 laptop i purchase in 2019 that came with windows 10, and installed windows 11. I used to use the laptop with a separate keyboard and mouse and extra screen so I don't know when this started happening, but the mouse touchpad currently does not...
  4. Touchpad and laptop keyboard not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Touchpad and laptop keyboard not working: Hi, I use my laptop all the time at uni for studying. Today I noticed the touchpad and keyboard no longer work when I use them, but my wireless keyboard and mouse works. It was last working on Friday 2/9.I check for all updates including optional on my computer and installed...
  5. Touchpad and laptop keyboard not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Touchpad and laptop keyboard not working: Hi, I use my laptop all the time at uni for studying. Today I noticed the touchpad and keyboard no longer work when I use them, but my wireless keyboard and mouse works. It was last working on Friday 2/9.I check for all updates including optional on my computer and installed...
  6. Gen 1 Surface Laptop stuck in boot loop. Possibly power issue.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Gen 1 Surface Laptop stuck in boot loop. Possibly power issue.: My brother plugged my laptop into an aftermarket charger that he got off of amazon and it stopped booting. When I hit the power key, the windows logo lights up for a few seconds, then the display switches off, then the logo comes back on. It does this for about 20sec until it...
  7. Touchpad/cursor not working on Brand New Surface Laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Touchpad/cursor not working on Brand New Surface Laptop: I bought a brand new Surface Laptop 3 today and right away when I opened it out of the box, there was no cursor available and there was no response when using the touchpad. When I connect a USB wireless mouse to the laptop, a cursor reappears and I am able to click and...
  8. Touchpad not working - Surface Laptop 2

Touchpad not working - Surface Laptop 2: My touchpad stopped working after a few months. I think it is the I2C HID Device that is the cause [ATTACH] I have tried to uninstall the driver and the restart the computer and in the beginning it worked but then after a while I got the same error again. But now it...
  9. Surface laptop 1st gen OS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Surface laptop 1st gen OS: If I buy a surface laprop 1st generation from Amazon, can I still upgrade its OS from "S" to Pro free? and How? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/surface-laptop-1st-gen-os/82b0c04f-805e-4262-a5f4-bf9a3254752b
  10. laptop keyboard and touchpad not working

laptop keyboard and touchpad not working: Problem: computer starts up normally and goes to the password log-in screen, but nothing happens when I try to enter the password. The computer doesn't appear to see any keystrokes. Solutions tried: rebooted removed and replaced main battery attached USB keyboard hit...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. surface laptop 1 keyboard not working

2. surface laptop keyboard not working

3. surface laptop keyboard and touchpad not working

4. keyboard and touchpad not working on surface