Windows 10: Keyboard and touchpad not working

Discus and support Keyboard and touchpad not working in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My keyboard and touchpad have stopped working and my Surface pro is only functioning as a tablet. How can I toggle or switch it back to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by CGarrison_0911, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Keyboard and touchpad not working

My keyboard and touchpad have stopped working and my Surface pro is only functioning as a tablet. How can I toggle or switch it back to the keyboard/touchpad hardware? I've removed and reattached the keyboard with no luck.

:)

CGarrison_0911, Sep 29, 2020
  2. Ticked Win User

laptop keyboard and touchpad not working

Problem: computer starts up normally and goes to the password log-in screen, but nothing happens when I try to enter the password. The computer doesn't appear to see any keystrokes.
    Solutions tried:

1. rebooted
    2. removed and replaced main battery
    3. attached USB keyboard
    4. hit Enter key on startup: successful in opening the Advance Options menu, but am unable to take any of the actions because all require that I enter the laptop password
    5. looked for an onscreen keyboard, but there isn't one because this isn't a touch screen computer
    Why I think this is a Windows issue:

1. the computer recognizes when I hit the Enter key on startup
    2. the USB keyboard doesn’t work
    3. the keyboard touchpad doesn’t work, but the attached USB mouse DOES work

Ticked, Sep 29, 2020
  3. Problem trackpad and keyboard sometimes don't work at startup.

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it fixes the issue.

Method 1: Run Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter

Follow these steps to run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Press Windows key + W and type
      troubleshooting

• Select Troubleshooting.

• Select View all on the top left corner.

• Click Hardware and Devices.

• Follow the on-screen instruction to run the troubleshooter.
    Method 2: Uninstall and reinstall the driver

I suggest you to try uninstall the Touchpad and Keyboard drivers check if it works for you.

Follow the steps to uninstall the Touchpad and Keyboard drivers:

• Press Windows Key + X key and click
      Device Manager.

• Right-click on the Touchpad device listed and click on ‘Uninstall’.

• Select the option to Delete driver software.

• Follow the same steps to uninstall keyboard driver.

• Restart the computer after its uninstalled.
    Try to access the device manufacturer's website and download and install the latest chipset, touchpad and keyboard drivers.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Sep 29, 2020
  4. nxavis9 Win User

Keyboard and touchpad not working

I want to disable touchpad on Dell laptop

Hello everyone,
    My laptop's touchpad works and I don't want it to, because I prefer a mouse. It's a Dell Inspiron 11 3000 series on windows 10 OS.

What I have tried that hasn't worked:
    • start<settings<devices<mouse & touchpad<additional mouse options. This opens a window called Mouse Options which has 5 tabs up top, none of which involve the touchpad. The Hardware tab shows 2 devices: the mouse itself, and the USB. No touchpad there.
    • windows key+x<mobility center. No touchpad to be found.
    • various function keys. No options for touchpad on/off.
    • device manager<mice and other pointing devices. Again, only the mouse and usb show up. It appears the touchpad is working without a driver, which is a little spooky.
    Any other suggestions? I could try downloading a third party driver, but that seems like a step in the wrong direction.
    Thanks

nxavis9, Sep 29, 2020
Thema:

Keyboard and touchpad not working

1. Keyboard and touchpad not working - Similar Threads - Keyboard touchpad working

2. Keyboard and Touchpad not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard and Touchpad not working: HID compliant keyboard and touchpad drivers disappeared on surface book 2 running windows 10 pro. I tried updating drivers, then uninstalling and rebooting system and they never came back. Keyboard LED lights up, FN button lights up, detach button works. Touchpad and regular...
  3. Keyboard and Touchpad not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard and Touchpad not working: HID compliant keyboard and touchpad drivers disappeared on surface book 2 running windows 10 pro. I tried updating drivers, then uninstalling and rebooting system and they never came back. Keyboard LED lights up, FN button lights up, detach button works. Touchpad and regular...
  4. Keyboard and Touchpad not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Keyboard and Touchpad Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard and Touchpad Not Working: Hey Guys,Since today morning, the onboard Input Devices keyboard and touchpad have stopped working on my MSI Stealth M15 A11UEKV. This happened unexpectedly upon booting the computer while plugged in after its battery had been completely drained. It seems to be some sort of...
  6. Keyboard and Touchpad Not Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard and Touchpad Not Working: Hey Guys,Since today morning, the onboard Input Devices keyboard and touchpad have stopped working on my MSI Stealth M15 A11UEKV. This happened unexpectedly upon booting the computer while plugged in after its battery had been completely drained. It seems to be some sort of...
  7. Keyboard and touchpad not working

Keyboard and touchpad not working: Whenever I turn on my pc I dont find my keyboard or touchpad working. Can somebody give me an answer Thank you if you find out how to fix this problem. I appreciate you if you found out....
  8. keyboard and touchpad not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    keyboard and touchpad not working: First the touchpad stopped working. Second the keyboard stopped working on my HP 15. What can I do to restore? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/keyboard-and-touchpad-not-working/5aae032a-d14d-4d53-a3d0-5aed18351054
  9. Keyboard and Touchpad not working.

Keyboard and Touchpad not working.: I am currently typing through on-screen keyboard, so please bear with me. Yesterday, two finger scroll didn't work so I searched for possible fixes. First method I tried suggested thst I uninstall the device, then reinstall i have tried this method with other device and it...
  10. Keyboard AND Touchpad not Working

Keyboard AND Touchpad not Working: A few days ago, while I was just surfing on firefox, I lost keyboard and touchpad functionality on my Lenovo Z575 Ideapad. Initially, I thought the computer froze so I shut it down hard way. When I restarted the laptop, I still had no keyboard or touchpad functionailty....