Windows 10: Keyboard does shortcuts instead of letters

Discus and support Keyboard does shortcuts instead of letters in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Greetings all, First time poster here - I've come across an issue I can't seem to solve myself. Ever since yesterday (October 10th) typing on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GRowe_, Oct 11, 2018.

1. GRowe_ Win User

Keyboard does shortcuts instead of letters

Greetings all,

First time poster here - I've come across an issue I can't seem to solve myself.

Ever since yesterday (October 10th) typing on my keyboard activates shortcuts rather than typing letters. For example, pressing D minimizes everything, pressing S opens the start menu, etc. Any help resolving this issue would be appreciated.

Notably, this doesnt appear to be a hardware issue as the same phenomenon occurs with the On Screen Keyboard, even when my keyboard is unplugged. Furthermore, another keyboard when plugged in has the same issues.

Things I have tried:

•Restarting computer

•Unplugging and replugging keyboard

•Making sure Sticky Keys is off

•Using a different keyboard

•Checking for drivers from keyboard manufacturer (keyboard doesn't use them)

•Making sure Windows Update is complete and current

Things I've considered but haven't tried:

•Buying a new keyboard - mine are both a few years old

•Uninstalling Standard PS/2 Keyboard (not sure if it would help or what the repercussions would be)

•Doing something related to the Oct 10 windows update (I wouldn't know how to go about it)

Thanks for your help!

:)

GRowe_, Oct 11, 2018

2. How to change the default keyboard layout shortcut.

Hi,

I would like to inform you that presently you may change the default keyboard layout by pressing
    Windows key + space and I would like to inform you that it is not possible to change the keyboard shortcut for the keyboard layout.

• If you would like to create shortcut for the applications, please follow the below steps:
    • Right click on the application and select properties.
    • Enter a key combination in the Shortcut key field. The combination must be CTRL + ALT + a letter / number.

Hope the information helps. Please do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Oct 11, 2018
  3. Rose Ter Win User
    Keyboard types letters instead of numbers when inputting card details

Hi,

In order for us to assist you regarding the keyboard issue that type letters instead of numbers when putting in card details. Kindly refer to the response of
    Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP on this
    link
    . This will provide you steps on how to use the correct software keyboard.

Let us know how it goes.

Rose Ter, Oct 11, 2018
  4. Blaird01 Win User

Keyboard shortcuts for StickyNotes do not all work in Windows10

Jomel,

This did not resolve the issue. There is no delay occurring when trying to use the keyboard shortcuts for bullet\numbered\lettered lists. These shortcuts simply are not working. Also, the Windows.old folder was not on my system so I did install the files
    indicated in the article from the download. That also did not resolve the issue.

The basic commands do seem to work (single key + letter) but Subscript, superscript, does not work either.

Any other suggestions would be helpful.

Blaird01, Oct 11, 2018
Thema:

1. Keyboard does shortcuts instead of letters - Similar Threads - Keyboard does shortcuts

2. Keyboard does shortcuts instead of typing letters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard does shortcuts instead of typing letters: Hello : I have the following issue: For a couple of days now, my keyboard doesn’t work properly anymore.Whenever I try to type in letters and numbers, I have a little loading sign next to my mouse cursor, but it won’t type any letters. Also, whenever I press ‘S’, it takes a...
  3. Keyboard does shortcuts instead of typing letters

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard does shortcuts instead of typing letters: Hello : I have the following issue: For a couple of days now, my keyboard doesn’t work properly anymore.Whenever I try to type in letters and numbers, I have a little loading sign next to my mouse cursor, but it won’t type any letters. Also, whenever I press ‘S’, it takes a...
  4. Keyboard does shortcuts instead of typing letters

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Keyboard does shortcuts instead of numbers, letters and function keys

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard does shortcuts instead of numbers, letters and function keys: my keyboard keeps switching around shortcuts and does weird stuff, like when i press the button one it just opens a new chrome tab and if i doesn't have chrome open it just opens up a internet explorer tab. if i just press all the command and control type buttons it changes...
  6. Keyboard does shortcuts instead of numbers, letters and function keys

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard does shortcuts instead of numbers, letters and function keys: my keyboard keeps switching around shortcuts and does weird stuff, like when i press the button one it just opens a new chrome tab and if i doesn't have chrome open it just opens up a internet explorer tab. if i just press all the command and control type buttons it changes...
  7. Keyboard does shortcuts instead of numbers, letters and function keys

8. Keyboard opening shortcuts instead of typing letters in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Keyboard opening shortcuts instead of typing letters in Windows 10: Are you facing an issue in which random applications open when you press any key on the keyboard? If random applications open when pressing any key on the keyboard & the keyboard is opening shortcuts instead of typing letters, then this post may help you. The issue is very...
  9. Keyboard typing numbers instead of letters

Keyboard typing numbers instead of letters: keyboard types numbers instead of letters in the command window. Also in some other apps. Not in notepad, not in google chrome not in file explorer. Pressing Num Lock doesn't change anything. Using an Asus UX31e Zenbook with external mouse, keyboard and monitor. Keyboard...
  10. creating shortcut key for missing keyboard letter

in Windows 10 Support
    creating shortcut key for missing keyboard letter: key broken on keyboard. thought i d kreate a shortkut to missing letter. managed to do it in word but not for other progs like email. assuming need to do it for windows 10 for that to work. advise appreshiated and that letter komes after 'b' and before 'd'... 151366

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Keyboard using shortcuts instead of typing

2. my keyboard is typing shortcuts instead of letters

3. keyboard showin shortcuts rather than typin

4. keyboard activates shortcut instead of typing,
  5. keyboard typing shortcuts instead of letters,
  6. keyboard does shortcuts and not letters,
  7. keyboard does instead of,
  8. Can you change my keyboard settings to key to letters instead of shortcuts