Windows 10: Keyboard does shortcuts instead of letters

Discus and support Keyboard does shortcuts instead of letters in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Greetings all, First time poster here - I've come across an issue I can't seem to solve myself. Ever since yesterday (October 10th) typing on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GRowe_, Oct 11, 2018.

1. GRowe_ Win User

Keyboard does shortcuts instead of letters

Greetings all,

First time poster here - I've come across an issue I can't seem to solve myself.

Ever since yesterday (October 10th) typing on my keyboard activates shortcuts rather than typing letters. For example, pressing D minimizes everything, pressing S opens the start menu, etc. Any help resolving this issue would be appreciated.

Notably, this doesnt appear to be a hardware issue as the same phenomenon occurs with the On Screen Keyboard, even when my keyboard is unplugged. Furthermore, another keyboard when plugged in has the same issues.

Things I have tried:

•Restarting computer

•Unplugging and replugging keyboard

•Making sure Sticky Keys is off

•Using a different keyboard

•Checking for drivers from keyboard manufacturer (keyboard doesn't use them)

•Making sure Windows Update is complete and current

Things I've considered but haven't tried:

•Buying a new keyboard - mine are both a few years old

•Uninstalling Standard PS/2 Keyboard (not sure if it would help or what the repercussions would be)

•Doing something related to the Oct 10 windows update (I wouldn't know how to go about it)

Thanks for your help!

:)

GRowe_, Oct 11, 2018

2. How to change the default keyboard layout shortcut.

Hi,

I would like to inform you that presently you may change the default keyboard layout by pressing
    Windows key + space and I would like to inform you that it is not possible to change the keyboard shortcut for the keyboard layout.

• If you would like to create shortcut for the applications, please follow the below steps:
    • Right click on the application and select properties.
    • Enter a key combination in the Shortcut key field. The combination must be CTRL + ALT + a letter / number.

Hope the information helps. Please do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Oct 11, 2018
  3. Rose Ter Win User
    Keyboard types letters instead of numbers when inputting card details

Hi,

In order for us to assist you regarding the keyboard issue that type letters instead of numbers when putting in card details. Kindly refer to the response of
    Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP on this
    link
    . This will provide you steps on how to use the correct software keyboard.

Let us know how it goes.

Rose Ter, Oct 11, 2018
  4. Blaird01 Win User

Keyboard shortcuts for StickyNotes do not all work in Windows10

Jomel,

This did not resolve the issue. There is no delay occurring when trying to use the keyboard shortcuts for bullet\numbered\lettered lists. These shortcuts simply are not working. Also, the Windows.old folder was not on my system so I did install the files
    indicated in the article from the download. That also did not resolve the issue.

The basic commands do seem to work (single key + letter) but Subscript, superscript, does not work either.

Any other suggestions would be helpful.

Blaird01, Oct 11, 2018
Thema:

1. Keyboard does shortcuts instead of letters - Similar Threads - Keyboard does shortcuts

2. Keyboard shortcut

in Windows 10 Customization
    Keyboard shortcut: Dear Mycrosoft team, I am Chhayleang,, using a Laptop Asus A441U running Windows 10. I am having a problem with a shortcut key Ctrl+X. This happened after I created 3 folders and saved 10 Word Files in them in the Download Folder in drive C: ;and I want to move all the...
  3. Keyboard -Shortcuts

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard -Shortcuts: Hi Not appearing emoji when I press Windows logo key + point (.) or semicolon (;). https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/keyboard-shortcuts/b350a689-fee5-4e7e-8bec-c3359372acee
  4. Keyboard is typing the wrong letters

Keyboard is typing the wrong letters: My Logitec K350 keyboard works fine when I plug it into my laptop. When I plug it into my desktop and search on Google, try to shop on Amazon, etc. it produces the wrong letter when I press on a few of them. s key types an i q key types a s e key types a m Same...
  5. letter not working on keyboard

letter not working on keyboard: letter not working on keyboard https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/letter-not-working-on-keyboard/c238535a-a5f5-4d37-a9a9-cf8e13061d7a
  6. microsoft designer keyboard does not recognise shortcuts

microsoft designer keyboard does not recognise shortcuts: Hello, I am using a Surface pro 4 with Windows 10, with an external monitor and microsoft designer keyboard. The problem is that i can with the plugin keyboard of surface do all keyboard shortcuts like ctrl+c and ctrl+v, which i cannot do on the designer keyboard. like...
  7. keyboard letters sometimes change

in Windows 10 Support
    keyboard letters sometimes change: The last few months it occurred a few times that suddenly some keyboard letters or numbers changed. After a restart everything was back to normal. Not really a big problem, but I am wondering what could be a possible cause. 74735
  8. Keyboard Shortcuts

in Windows 10 Support
    Keyboard Shortcuts: I've lost all keyboard shortcuts - how can I restore them? 27956
  9. Keyboard Shortcuts

in Windows 10 Support
    Keyboard Shortcuts: How do you turn OFF keyboard shortcuts? I never use them but when I'm typing, I often hit CTRL when I mean the Shift key and then whatever letter I hit next is then combined with CTRL and displays something I don't want. I've been unable to find the setting that hopefully...
  10. Keyboard shortcuts

in Windows 10 Support
    Keyboard shortcuts: Hello Ladies & Gentlemen, I've been reading tutorials on keyboard navigation, as I'd like to learn to navigate Windows 10 without a mouse, and while I've mastered a few commands I'd like to know how to de-select highlighted text after CTRL-A has been pressed. I've pressed...