Windows 10: Keyboard Enter key won't work unless I also press another key (i.e. Shift or Alt)

Discus and support Keyboard Enter key won't work unless I also press another key (i.e. Shift or Alt) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm running Windows 10 Pro, Build 18272 (though the problem started 2+ builds ago). I moved my desktop from one room to another, and during that time... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Falstaff1596, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Keyboard Enter key won't work unless I also press another key (i.e. Shift or Alt)

I'm running Windows 10 Pro, Build 18272 (though the problem started 2+ builds ago).

I moved my desktop from one room to another, and during that time it was powered fully off for a couple days. Shouldn't have been a problem. However, one issue that arose once I got it back up and running is that my keyboard (Perixx PX-1100, wired USB) had a peculiar issue with the Enter key. When Windows first boots, I can hit Enter after I enter my password and it logs in. But then it's like something changes, and I can't use the Enter key unless I do something like Shift+Enter or Alt+Enter, which obviously makes a lot of things difficult. I have tried plugging it into several different USB ports on my computer, disabling programs at startup, using a different keyboard, deleting all the keyboard devices from device manager (forcing them to reinstall), but no luck. I just cannot get it working. I tried booting to Safe Mode, and the Enter key seemed to work there.

Any ideas on how to fix the issue before I bite the bullet and just reformat/reinstall?

Thanks!

:)

Falstaff1596, Nov 6, 2018
  2. LTUGamer Win User

Both shift keys

Hello.
    I have problem with Lenovo Idea Pad 100 laptop (OS: WIN10). After replacing HDD into SSD I faced a strange problem. Both Shifts of the keyboard doesn‘t work .
    I have tried to:
    • Check if sticky keys are off. They are off.
    • Connect external keyboard via USB port. Shift keys on external keyboard works good.
    • Check the keyboard on online tester which indicates pressed buttons. It can‘t indicate press of the shift
    • Change several different input languages. The problem is on all of them.
    • Reinstall keyboard driver
    • Check if connection is OK. It is OK.
    • Tried to run computer without screws (I have read in one forum that screws could touch the keyboard from the bottom and it wouldn‘t operate normal)
    I believe that keyboard is not damaged because connector damage could cause just exact part of keyboard failure, while it is impossible to do physical damage for both shifts. Any solutions?

LTUGamer, Nov 6, 2018
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Keyboard shortcut Alt key not working

Hi,

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better.

• Since when are you facing this issue?

• Did you make any software or hardware changes on your computer prior to this issue?

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: You may check if the ALT key is functioning correctly in on-screen keyboard. It will help us to verify if there is any issue with the keyboard.

Follow the steps below to open On-screen Keyboard.

• Windows + Q, type OSK (on-screen keyboard)

• And check if it works
    Step 2: Run Hardware and device Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your devices. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Nov 6, 2018
  4. KatJB Win User

Keyboard Enter key won't work unless I also press another key (i.e. Shift or Alt)

shift keys not working

I upgraded to windows 10 on my Toshiba laptop and then did the windows update and when I tried to do anything with the shift key neither one works. I read all the suggestions I could find in here and tried most of them with no luck. I ran the hardware
    and device troubleshooter, I went to the keyboard on control panel and it says it's working properly. I tried shift/control/alt keys all together. I downloaded and scanned with anti malware and I did the fn and del keys with no results. I would like an easy
    fix for this as I believe it is a windows 10 and or update for windows 10 issue. I am not real savvy on the computer so I need step by step instructions, please and thank you.

KatJB, Nov 6, 2018
Thema:

Keyboard Enter key won't work unless I also press another key (i.e. Shift or Alt)

1. Keyboard Enter key won't work unless I also press another key (i.e. Shift or Alt) - Similar Threads - Keyboard Enter key

2. Keyboard is not working unless i press right shift key for a while

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard is not working unless i press right shift key for a while: On my laptop system keyboard is not working unless i press the right shift key for a while.. and it is repeating What i have done trying to solve the problem:tested Keyboard with other PC everything works fineSearch for new driverdeinstall driver and restart PCChecked...
  3. Keyboard is not working unless i press right shift key for a while

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard is not working unless i press right shift key for a while: On my laptop system keyboard is not working unless i press the right shift key for a while.. and it is repeating What i have done trying to solve the problem:tested Keyboard with other PC everything works fineSearch for new driverdeinstall driver and restart PCChecked...
  4. Keyboard is not working unless i press right shift key for a while

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Keyboard is not working unless i press releases right shift key for a while

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard is not working unless i press releases right shift key for a while: On my laptop system keyboard is not working unless i press the right shift key for a while.. and it is repeating What i have done trying to solve the problem:tested Keyboard with other PC everything works fineSearch for new driverdeinstall driver and restart PCChecked...
  6. Keyboard is not working unless i press releases right shift key for a while

Keyboard is not working unless i press releases right shift key for a while: On my laptop system keyboard is not working unless i press the right shift key for a while.. and it is repeating What i have done trying to solve the problem:tested Keyboard with other PC everything works fineSearch for new driverdeinstall driver and restart PCChecked...
  7. Keyboard is not working unless i press releases right shift key for a while

8. The R key will not work unless pressed in combination with the Shift key

The R key will not work unless pressed in combination with the Shift key: All the things I've tried so far:Bought a new keyboardUninstalled and reinstalled keyboard files under device managerUninstalled and reinstalled iCue for Corsair both old and new keyboards are CorsairPlugged the keyboard into a different USB slotA couple of command prompt...
  9. The R key will not work unless pressed in combination with the Shift key

The R key will not work unless pressed in combination with the Shift key: All the things I've tried so far:Bought a new keyboardUninstalled and reinstalled keyboard files under device managerUninstalled and reinstalled iCue for Corsair both old and new keyboards are CorsairPlugged the keyboard into a different USB slotA couple of command prompt...
  10. Keyboard key not working unless pressed together with another key.

Keyboard key not working unless pressed together with another key.: Hello, The '2' key on my laptop stopped working properly a few days ago. Up till now, it would start working again when it's pressed very hard, and then it would work properly. But now, it has stopped working even when I press hard. I found out that if I press the 'W' key...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. KEYBOARD Not working unless with shift key

2. keyboard not working unless i press n

3. enter button not working unless shift

4. cant press Q unless holding shift ,
  5. My enter button only works when I press shift,
  6. work enter button doesnt work unless I hold shift,
  7. enter key wont work,
  8. enter key wont work only holding shift enter,
  9. q a 1 keys dont work unless i press another key with another,
  10. keys wont work unless i press another key,
  11. which key is also act as enter in key board,