Windows 10: keyboard functions changed after most recent Windows Update

Discus and support keyboard functions changed after most recent Windows Update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Prior to the June 27th Windows update, my function keys worked with their primary function being the "big" image on them: from left to right dimmer,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RevdLaurie, Jun 29, 2020.

1. keyboard functions changed after most recent Windows Update

Prior to the June 27th Windows update, my function keys worked with their primary function being the "big" image on them: from left to right dimmer, brighter, play/pause, mute, vol down, vol up, backlight keys, PrtScn, Home, End, PgUp, PgDn. Then IF I pushed the "Fn" key they would act as the function keys: F1, F2, F3, F4, F5, F6, F7, F8, F9, F10, F11, F12.

SINCE the June 27th update, it has been the opposite with the primary function of those keys being the "F" function F1-F12, and then if I hold "Ctrl" they act as the image printed on them.

THIS IS FRUSTRATING! have used my new Microsoft Surface Book 2 13.5" i7 for 3 or 4 month and have loved just hitting "home" to go to the start of a line, or "end" to go to the end, unlike my old Surface Pro 3, where I had to hit the "Fn" key first to get any of those actions. I got really used to the direct use of those keys for those uses.

Is there something I can do to reverse this?

thanks in advance for anything you can do to bring this "normal" back to the "normal" I liked.

:)

RevdLaurie, Jun 29, 2020
  2. 95Viper Win User

Windows 8.1 update changed the language, can't change back

Maybe, these will help... it seems it is a common enough problem.

Language packs are no longer available after you upgrade to Windows 8.1

And, sort of the same here --> Add a language or keyboard

Quote from above MS web page:

Spoiler Download and install language packs
    You'll need to download the language pack if you want to make a language your Windows display language (that's the language you see most often in Windows and apps).
    • Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
    • Tap or click Time and language, and then tap or click Region and language.
    • Tap or click a language that says Language pack available underneath, and then tap or click Options.
    • Tap or click Download. The download process might take a while, depending on your PC and the size of the language pack.
      If you want to make this your display language, see the next section "Change your Windows display language".
    Change your Windows display language
    To change your Windows display language (that's the language you see most often in Windows and apps), first add a language, download and install the language pack, and then follow these steps.
    • Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
    • Tap or click Time and language, and then tap or click Region and language.
    • Tap or click the language that you want to set as your display language.
    • Tap or click Set as primary to move the language to the top of the list. If the language can become your Windows display language, you'll see Will be display language after next sign-in appear under the language.
    • Sign out and then sign back in to finish.
    And here is some more info --> Add Language Packs to Windows

95Viper, Jun 29, 2020
  3. Mary Sau Win User
    Windows 10 internet Explorer Crashes / Freezes after most recent update

Hi,

To assist you, kindly provide us additional information.

• What update did you install?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    We suggest you to disable Internet Explorer from optional features and enable it again. To do so, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows + R on your keyboard, type optionalfeatures
      and hit OK.
    • Uncheck the checkbox with Internet Explorer 11 written against the box and restart your computer.
    • After restart, check the box in optionalfeatures and restart again. Then, launch IE.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks.

Mary Sau, Jun 29, 2020
  4. keyboard functions changed after most recent Windows Update

Glitched Mouse with most recent Windows Update!

Hi Emma,

To resolve the issue you're having with using your mouse, we suggest that you run the
    Hardware Troubleshooter on the computer with the steps below:

• Press Windows logo key + S on your keyboard.
    • Type Troubleshooting and select it from the list.
    • Select Hardware and Sound, then Hardware and Devices.

If the issue persists, update your mouse or touch pad drivers with the steps on this

link.

Let us know how it goes.

Thank you.

Angela Pun, Jun 29, 2020
Thema:

keyboard functions changed after most recent Windows Update

1. keyboard functions changed after most recent Windows Update - Similar Threads - keyboard functions changed

2. BSOD after most recent updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BSOD after most recent updates: So after installing the updates released today I keep getting a BSOD. It seems like the update its self is broken I have tried to install it twice both times windows boot looped after the install. I tried to use SFC and DISM from the boot menu but no luck. I managed to get...
  3. BSOD after most recent updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD after most recent updates: So after installing the updates released today I keep getting a BSOD. It seems like the update its self is broken I have tried to install it twice both times windows boot looped after the install. I tried to use SFC and DISM from the boot menu but no luck. I managed to get...
  4. BSOD after most recent updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Problems after most recent update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problems after most recent update: Firstly, I'm not the most computer savvy, but windows forced an update on me today and things seem very wrong with my computer now. Not even sure which subreddit I should be in for help so I'm trying a few. New update kept taking over, full-screen asking to either update now...
  6. Taskbar and most windows functions stopped working after recent update.

Taskbar and most windows functions stopped working after recent update.: Like the title suggests i recently updated to the newest update when i was prompted to. After updating the taskbar and start menu no longer works along with most other windows functions. I can’t change the volume through the slider anymore and i can’t get rid of the...
  7. Most recent updates

Most recent updates: How do I know I'm operating on updated version of Microsoft windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/most-recent-updates/88d75eee-19a0-4633-962f-17af33c3dab4
  8. Updated to the most recent windows update

Updated to the most recent windows update: I updated to the most recent windows update and I keep on getting the bsod for random reasons each time. I've ran the scannow and verify to make sure there are no bad drivers. I've reinstalled my amd drivers. Nothing is overclocked either. It's exactly the same way it was...
  9. Most recent update

Most recent update: I am an "Insider" and have installed the latest update. All sorts of strange things have started to happen. Examples: 1. The audio out on my camera no longer works for conversations on Skype. 2, The voice recorder no longer works. 3, When I try to open Edge I receive the...
  10. windows deactivated after most recent update

windows deactivated after most recent update: Windows 10 pro came with my old laptop and i accidentally dropped it and cracked the screen. My friend had a laptop sitting at his house and it was stuck in the bios because the hdd was faulty, so i took it and put my hdd in it. It booted up without any issues and i decided...