Windows 10: Keyboard input hanging (even in safe mode and on a clean installation)

Discus and support Keyboard input hanging (even in safe mode and on a clean installation) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've been having a somewhat perplexing and wholly frustrating experience with an issue on a Win10 machine with the keyboard hanging, input hangs for a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jchap1590, Aug 18, 2019.

1. jchap1590 Win User

Keyboard input hanging (even in safe mode and on a clean installation)

I've been having a somewhat perplexing and wholly frustrating experience with an issue on a Win10 machine with the keyboard hanging, input hangs for a few seconds to maybe as long as a minute or two, and then all of a sudden the flurry of keys I've smashed all register more or less simaltaneously. During periods where the keyboard is obviously hanging, I am still able to use the mouse and the calculator keyboard hotkey both seem to function as intended. This is basically a clean install, only a couple weeks old, done when version 1903 was pushed to the machine. I used the media creation tool provided by MSFT to download the ver. 1903 ISO, flashed it to a USB drive using RufusUSB. I then booted from the flash drive and manually partitioned the disk using the DISKPART command-line utility:

X:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe> DISKPART
    DISKPART> list disk
    DISKPART> sel disk 0
    DISKPART> clean all
    DISKPART> convert GPT
    blah, blah, yada yada.. resulting disk configuration:
    Disk0/partition1: 100MB FAT32 EFI
    "" ""/partition2: 16MB RAW MSR (System Reserved)
    "" ""/partition3: 180GB NTFS Windows 10 (CKeyboard input hanging (even in safe mode and on a clean installation) :)
    "" ""/partition4: unallocated space (to be used for Backups)
    "" ""/partition5: 450MB FAT32 WinRE

The problems didn't really seem to start until another couple weeks later, when I got rid of the 23" HP monitor in lieu of 2x 27" Dell monitors.

*TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS TAKEN*

1. Change keyboard batteriesj

2. Relocate USB receiver to another port on a known disparate bus

3. Uninstall and delete the 'HID-compliant keyboard' driver, reboot and let Windows reinstall it

3. Recreated the local user account.. logged in under the default local admin account, took full ownership of "C:\Windows\Users\[username]" then renamed it to [username.old] then deleted registry key string at 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\[Profile]. Deleted the user in PC Settings, reboot. Login as newly-created user, take control of [username.old] directory, subfolders and files. Rename [username.old] to [username] to merge the old and new profile data

4. Ran SFC /scannow, which did find issues but was not able to repair them

5. Ran CHKDSK C: /F /R, i walked away during this and never looked at the resulting log file.

6. Turn off and unplug 1 monitor from the GPU

7. Uninstall NVIDIA driver's using DDU in SafeMode (noticed slight buggyness with both the mouse and keyboard while in SafeMode (weird))

8. Reboot, download latest WQHL driver, install everything except GeForce Experience.

9. Last ditch effort.. nuke the system, Disk0 > clean. Reinstall Windows letting the installer automate the partitioning of the drive this time.

*ISSUE PERSISTS*
    I'm about finished with this system, I'm spending hours a day deleting drivers, uninstalling software and then reinstalling it.
    I really don't know what it could be besides a hardware issue at this point. Issue persists amoung different periferal input devices, persists across multiple user accounts, persists in SafeMode, even persists on a clean install.

Thoughts??
    Cause this one really has me scratching my head
    Thanks!

:)

jchap1590, Aug 18, 2019

2. Safe mode problem

Hi,

To get better clarity on the issue, kindly answer the questions below:

• By saying that you have a "Safe mode problem," did you mean to say that your computer is stuck in Safe mode or are you unable to boot it to Safe mode?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you attempted to resolve your concern?

If this is caused by recent programs installed on your computer, then we suggest you to run
    System Restore to revert your system files to an earlier date. To run System Restore, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + R on your keyboard.
    • On the run command box, type "RSTRUI.EXE" and hit enter.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions.

Make sure that you choose the restore point date when your computer was working fine. Please be advised that programs and applications installed on your computer after the restore point will be removed.

Let us know how it goes.

Monica Cam, Aug 18, 2019
  3. Xylee Del Win User
    Stuck in safe mode in windows 10

Safe mode is intended to help fix most, if not all problems within an operating system, it's not good if we got stuck on it. To correct this, we suggest that you follow the steps below to exit out of Safe mode:

• Open Run command by pressing Windows key + R
      keys on the keyboard and type msconfig in the command box and press
      Enter.
    • Under General tab, put a check on Normal Startup option.
    • Reboot the system and check if the changes are effective.

Let us know if you are able to exit out of Safe mode with these steps.

Xylee Del, Aug 18, 2019
  4. Keyboard input hanging (even in safe mode and on a clean installation)

Password not accepted in Safe mode

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community forum.

Have you tried all the above steps suggested by Sangeeta Sarkar on September 13, 2015.

I would suggest you to provide some information to help you better.

• Are you trying to login the Microsoft account or the Local account in safe mode?
    • Did you try with only safe mode or safe mode with networking?
    • What is the critical error you are getting?

If you are using Windows 10. To go to safe mode you have to follow the below steps.

If you are able to go to login screen in normal mode try the below steps to go to safe mode with networking.

• At the login screen click on the power symbol.

• Hold SHIFT + Click Restart.

• After restarting your system, select the Troubleshoot option.

• Select advanced options under
      Troubleshoot screen.

• Click on Startup Settings.

• Click Restart and follow the onscreen steps to go to
      Safe Mode with networking and check if you are able to login.

[*]
    Please get back with more information, we will be glad to help you further.

Sachin Venkatesh, Aug 18, 2019
Thema:

Keyboard input hanging (even in safe mode and on a clean installation)

1. Keyboard input hanging (even in safe mode and on a clean installation) - Similar Threads - Keyboard input hanging

2. the keyboard of X1 CARBON can not use even in safe mode

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    the keyboard of X1 CARBON can not use even in safe mode: [ATTACH] in BIOS the keyboard can be useful,so i guess it is software problem. so i install the win10 at once however, the keyboard also cannnot use in safe mode also cannot use but,BitLocker backup can type number ,you can see the pic...
  3. Clean 20H2 Install. Here's "Safe Mode" Everyone.... Sigh....

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clean 20H2 Install. Here's "Safe Mode" Everyone.... Sigh....: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/TheFlairGun [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kj6wnq/clean_20h2_install_heres_safe_mode_everyone_sigh/
  4. Input lag and stuttering on Windows 10 2004 update (even in safe mode)

Input lag and stuttering on Windows 10 2004 update (even in safe mode): I've tried updating to 2004 3 times now and had to roll back to 1909 all 3 times due to this problem, which renders the OS effectively unusable. The first 2 times were with the Update Assistant and this time was with the update button within Check for Updates. Here's how the...
  5. Not even safe mode works

Not even safe mode works: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/dranedagger4 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hl2ju6/not_even_safe_mode_works/
  6. Dell Inspiron BSOD even after clean install (safe mode doesn't work)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dell Inspiron BSOD even after clean install (safe mode doesn't work): Hi, since yesterday my laptop got screwed. I suddenly got a random BSOD, and even trying to reboot I always got a BSOD before getting to login. Safe mode either, it reboots before get there. After some reboots, I can get to the "boot special menu" (I mean where you can launch...
  7. Safe mode problem (no input)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Safe mode problem (no input): I tried using DDU to remove my drivers and there was an option to go into safe mode that people said to use but ever since I did that option and it restarted, my pc has a black screen that you get when there is no input, I believe I need to get out of safe mode but I’m not...
  8. Keyboard Not Working In Safe Mode?

Keyboard Not Working In Safe Mode?: Currently on Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Build 17763. I noticed (not exactly sure how long it's been like this) but when I am in "safe mode", my keyboard is on, connected fine, I can type just fine in, say notepad and windows powershell for example. However, at a "windows run...
  9. No mouse or keyboard in safe mode

No mouse or keyboard in safe mode: After the amazing and wonderful Anniversary Update, that fixes nothing but adds other bugs & glitches, I can't use mouse and keyboard in Safe Mode. Before the update, it worked fine. Any solution? I use safe mode to install new nvidia drivers in safety. When I launch in...
  10. No keyboard in Safe Mode

No keyboard in Safe Mode: When I run Safe Mode, the keyboard works only until I have to press 4 to run Safe Mode. Then it stops works. In Safe Mode, I can use only mouse. Why? My keyboard is a Logitech G105 with latest drivers, via USB. Windows 10 has latest updates as well. 66488