Windows 10: keyboard isn't working for games/apps and cortana search bar

Discus and support keyboard isn't working for games/apps and cortana search bar in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; for a while I've been having this problem where I can't type in the cortana search bar, which wasn't a big deal at first I just ignored it and found... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by MarkAMF, Aug 9, 2018.

1. MarkAMF Win User

keyboard isn't working for games/apps and cortana search bar

for a while I've been having this problem where I can't type in the cortana search bar, which wasn't a big deal at first I just ignored it and found other ways to search, but this got really annoying when I couldn't sign into my microsoft account because I couldn't type in my password, I found a way to bypass that and finally installed the game but even IN-GAME I couldn't move or do anything with my keyboard. The only thing that works was my mouse.

I've spent hours trying to find a solution and nothing has worked, I'm running out of options now

I've tried running ctfmon.exe and using task scheduler to run ctfmon.exe

Unistalled and re-installed my keyboard driver

entered these commands in powershell/cmd and nothing worked

PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted

$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

:)

MarkAMF, Aug 9, 2018

2. Search Bar/Cortana

Hello,

Thank you for posting your concern here in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 family.

From the description, I understand that you are still receiving the pop up notifications, despite having disabled the search functionality in windows 10.

Steps to disable the Search Bar

• Right click on the task bar.
    • Select the "Search" option.
    • Select "Disable."
    However, if the above steps don't work out, perform the below suggested steps and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Open a CMD window started as Administrator.

Repair corruption: Dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth.

Run this command next: Sfc /scannow

Now run these two commands:

PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Hope the above information was helpful.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Aug 9, 2018
  3. Cortana Search Bar Not Working

Hi Kayla,

Software conflicts is one of the possible reasons why Cortana search bar is not working. To resolve your issue, we suggest that you follow the troubleshooting steps in this

article
    on how to troubleshoot problems with the Start menu or Cortana.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and give us an update with the result.

Marilou Ser, Aug 9, 2018
  4. keyboard isn't working for games/apps and cortana search bar

Printer isn´t working after latest update.

After the latest update from Windows, my Canon Pixma ip6600 printer isnt working. In Device Manager it shows up as working properly but when I go to print it isn´t listed as an option in any programs. Troubleshoot suggests it´s a USB 2 printer on a USB
    3 port and that that´s the problem but that cant be since it worked fine before the update. I´ve tried to uninstall and plug it back in but that doesn´t work either.

Sigurdur WilliamBrynjarsson, Aug 9, 2018
Thema:

keyboard isn't working for games/apps and cortana search bar

1. keyboard isn't working for games/apps and cortana search bar - Similar Threads - keyboard isn't working

2. Search Bar and Cortana won't work?

in Cortana
    Search Bar and Cortana won't work?: This happened like a week ago when my computer was force-shut off before it fully shut itself off. I can't use the Search Bar without it glowing a lighter grey then closing itself. Cortana does the same thing, Glows lighter then closes. I've also been having trouble with...
  3. Search bar isn't working perfectly

in Cortana
    Search bar isn't working perfectly: Whenever I type anything on search bar it turns blank,this issue is occuring from the time I had updated to 20h2,recently I had contacted my pc manufacturerHP as my pc was under warranty.After many remote test my hp agents,they send HP engineer to my home,to check my...
  4. My Search or Cortana isn't Working

in Cortana
    My Search or Cortana isn't Working: Greetings friends, Can you help me with this problem or guide me to what i need to do, because i have searched all over the internet and can't seem to find solution through it. Thanks in advance!...
  5. Windows search bar & Cortana are not working

in Cortana
    Windows search bar & Cortana are not working: I cannot type in search text. Also Cortana does not work. When I go into Settings to try and resolve anything nothing works. Does anyone know if this is a temporary issue or something bigger....
  6. Search bar and cortana doesnt work

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search bar and cortana doesnt work: Hello everyone, today i just updatet my windows from version 1809 to 1909. When i try to click on search icon nothing happens and same with cortana. I actually dont really care about cortana but the search bar makes me pretty angry. I have tried lot of fixes i found on...
  7. Cortana Search Bar Not Working

in Cortana
    Cortana Search Bar Not Working: My Cortana search bar (on the taskbar) has quit working in the past week or so. I cannot search for apps, files, or web results. Any query entered simply returns a blank white screen. The search bar in file explorer still works to search for files. Running Windows 10 Pro on...
  8. cortana search bar not working

in Cortana
    cortana search bar not working: as the title said, my cortana search bar isnt working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-search-bar-not-working/22aa3cbd-4fc3-4f23-8a8e-b068530a646c"
  9. keyboard isn't working for microsoft games/microsoft apps and cortana search bar

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    keyboard isn't working for microsoft games/microsoft apps and cortana search bar: for a while I've been having this problem where I can't type in the cortana search bar, which wasn't a big deal at first I just ignored it and found other ways to search, but this got really annoying when I couldn't sign into my microsoft account because I couldn't type in my...
  10. search bar/cortana not working

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    search bar/cortana not working: my searchbar/cortana has suddenly stopped working, when I click I get a message telling me there is a problem, please sign out. so I googled the problem I ran the systen file checker which reported a problem and said it was fixed, problem still there I reinstalled all...