Windows 10: Keyboard languages are all over the place (English US/Canada, Canadian French)

Discus and support Keyboard languages are all over the place (English US/Canada, Canadian French) in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have to switch between multiple keyboard languages on a daily basis with Windows+Space, but the keyboard languages are all over the place, making... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Yetong, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Yetong Win User

Keyboard languages are all over the place (English US/Canada, Canadian French)

I have to switch between multiple keyboard languages on a daily basis with Windows+Space, but the keyboard languages are all over the place, making switching between languages extremely annoying. I have a keyboard with US layout. These happen on both my desktop and my laptop.

When I say "French (Canada)" or "Français (Canada)", I refer to the windows language.

When I say "Canadian French" and "Canadian French (Legacy)", I refer to the keyboard layouts

1. I have set Canada as my location, as it is where I live, but this causes the keyboard to randomly have both English (United States) and English (Canada) as languages despite the fact that I only have English (United States) with US keyboard in languages. They are exactly the same and I would like to somehow get rid of English (Canada). Usually there is only one of them.

2. My french settings keep randomly switching. I usually use the Canadian French keyboard layout and I only have Canadian French in the languages settings under French (Canada)

Sometimes, "Canadian French (Legacy)" (which behaves very differently when it comes to accents) is added and selected. I have never added "Canadian French (Legacy)" myself and it is not listed in settings despite appearing in the language bar and being selectable and usable. In other words, it randomly adds and switches keyboards.

I used to be able to fix this by going into Languages/Français (Canada), adding some random layout (like dutch or whatever) so that I can remove Canadian French (as it's the only one listed despite the fact that both Canadian French and Canadian French (Legacy) are in the language bar), re-adding Canadian French, and finally removing the random layout I added. This fix only works temporarily as it can happen again at any time and when rebooting.

This is driving me crazy as I have to switch between 4 different languages often (for example, accessing both french and english quotation marks) and this messes up big time with my muscle memory of Windows+Spacing to switch. If I miss the language I was aiming for, I have to press space through all the list to get back where I was. My language bar also becomes pretty huge.

My language bar when it happens.

Keyboard languages are all over the place (English US/Canada, Canadian French) 173f99e4-2d63-4de5-bbb8-53c168a123f5?upload=true.png

The language settings. Notice how English (United States is not a language)

Keyboard languages are all over the place (English US/Canada, Canadian French) b15417a5-d7bc-485f-a96f-4f14a67b3f1d?upload=true.png

:)

Yetong, Jul 10, 2018

2. Cortana in French Canadian and English- Languages not showing up

Hello! I wanted to have Cortana in French Canadian and have all language pack and display installed. However, when I go to Cortana in the settings, although it is in French, the settings say "French (France)" rather than Canada. Additionally, it is not
    available in English either even though I have English language pack installed. Since France French is the only language that shows on the Cortana voice drop-down menu, is there a way that I can get the French Canadian and English options to show instead?
    Also, I never downloaded the France French language or anything so I don't know why it was displaying, unless this is the only option for Cortana. Thank you, and I appreciate all your help! Keyboard languages are all over the place (English US/Canada, Canadian French) :)

AmandaLynP, Jul 10, 2018
  3. trogne Win User
    canadian french keyboard missing

Hi,

New computer.

I could select the "Canadian French" language for the keyboard. This way I can use the blue characters on my HP omen.

Then I restarted, and there was windows updates.

Now, "Canadian French" keyboard disapeared ! I can use "French", but the keyboard is not good (I need the one using the blue keys).

How can I get back the "Canadian French" keyboard ?

Patrick

trogne, Jul 10, 2018
  4. Keyboard languages are all over the place (English US/Canada, Canadian French)

Is there language pack for English(Canada)?

EDIT: Comment obsolete. Correction posted below.

After following the above steps, clicking "Options" next to "English (Canada)" (in the "Language" control panel window) shows the message "Windows display language -----
    A language pack isn't available".

The language pack manual-download page (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/language-packs#lptabs=win10)
    also shows no language pack for "English (Canada)" - only "English (United States)", English (United
    Kingdom)", and "French (Canada)".

"English (Canada)" cannot be set as the display language, because "English (Canada)" apparently
    does not exist as a display language for Windows 10.

Not only does this prevent Windows 10 (build 10547) from recognizing Canadian English spelling variants, it also prevents Cortana from functioning as announced in Canada, as it will not enable itself if the region and display language do not
    both match the values it's looking for.

HaloInverse, Jul 10, 2018
Thema:

Keyboard languages are all over the place (English US/Canada, Canadian French)

1. Keyboard languages are all over the place (English US/Canada, Canadian French) - Similar Threads - Keyboard languages are

2. How to remove the Canadian Multilingual Standard Keyboard when adding a French Canada...

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to remove the Canadian Multilingual Standard Keyboard when adding a French Canada...: I have a Lenovo ThinkPad T430 that is supplied by the school. Without the French Canada language pack, it only gives me two keyboards, a US keyboard and a Canadian French keyboard. But, when I add the French Canada language, it adds a third keyboard, which is Canadian...
  3. French Canadian Legacy for keyboard is missing?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    French Canadian Legacy for keyboard is missing?: HiI just purchased a new laptop, Windows 10 and installed the French Canada language pack.In the keyboard settings, only the Canadian Multilingual Standard is available, which does not match the typical French keyboard layouts - picture attached. The AltCar and 2 should give...
  4. French Canadian Legacy for keyboard is missing?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    French Canadian Legacy for keyboard is missing?: HiI just purchased a new laptop, Windows 10 and installed the French Canada language pack.In the keyboard settings, only the Canadian Multilingual Standard is available, which does not match the typical French keyboard layouts - picture attached. The AltCar and 2 should give...
  5. French Canadian Legacy for keyboard is missing?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. French Canadian language keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    French Canadian language keyboard: As of Windows 11, I no longer have the Canadian Multilingual keyboard.It appears to be replaced with something called the French Canadian keyboard. BUT!When using the on screen so-called „soft“ keyboard, it appears to be the Canadian Intermediate keyboard – but – when...
  7. French Canadian language keyboard

French Canadian language keyboard: As of Windows 11, I no longer have the Canadian Multilingual keyboard.It appears to be replaced with something called the French Canadian keyboard. BUT!When using the on screen so-called „soft“ keyboard, it appears to be the Canadian Intermediate keyboard – but – when...
  8. How to remove "English Canada US Keyboard" from input methods?

How to remove "English Canada US Keyboard" from input methods?: I have two input methods for English and one for Arabic. However, I need just one for English United States. How can I remove the second English input method Canada?...
  9. Accents on French Canadian Keyboard

in Windows 10 Customization
    Accents on French Canadian Keyboard: Hello! I've started using the French Canadian keyboard setup on my standard keyboard because I'm writing in French more and more. My only problem is that everyone says that the ' button second from the right on the caps row should let me then press any letter and get an...
  10. canadian french keyboard missing

in Windows 10 Support
    canadian french keyboard missing: Hi, New computer. I could select the "Canadian French" language for the keyboard. This way I can use the blue characters on my HP omen. Then I restarted, and there was windows updates. Now, "Canadian French" keyboard disapeared ! I can use "French", but the...