Windows 10: Keyboard malfunction after Windows 10 update 1903

Discus and support Keyboard malfunction after Windows 10 update 1903 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I had a troubled update to 1903 but the final run was without any issue or warnings. But couple of days later my keyboard started malfunctioning.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Faraz Ahmed Shaikh, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Keyboard malfunction after Windows 10 update 1903

I had a troubled update to 1903 but the final run was without any issue or warnings. But couple of days later my keyboard started malfunctioning.

Observations:

1. Can see the taskbar buttons highlighted one by one. Same with options of any other application windows opened.
    2. Characters "\hg\hg" typed repeatedly on a notepad.
    3. The issue disappeared for a while on uninstalling the keyboard driver 2/3 times and restarting.
    4. Appeared again on the next restart.
    5. Checked for driver updates but none found on Windows update.

I am not sure if it is update related but had it been a hardware issue then should be ever present.

:)

Faraz Ahmed Shaikh, Aug 21, 2019

2. Keyboard is malfunctioning in Windows 10

Hi Abhijeet,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

Before proceeding, we need more information to help you better.

• Did the keyboard worked properly before installing the update (KB3081424)?
    • Have you tried to connect the external keyboard?
    • Is the system connected to domain?

Kindly follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Update the keyboard drivers

1) Press Windows + R keys on the Keyboard.

2) Type devmgmt.msc in the Open text box.

3) Expand Keyboard from the window.

4) Right- click on the drivers and select
    update driver software

5) Follow the onscreen instruction to update to the latest drivers.

If the issue still persists, then perform the above steps again up to
    step 4 and you may try to right click on keyboard drivers and select
    Uninstall. Then reboot the laptop and check whether the keyboards drivers are installed.

If the issue still persists, follow the below method.

Method 2:

I suggest you to follow the below steps to install the latest driver updates through Windows updates and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

• Open the Start menu and type
      Windows
      update in the search bar.
    • Click on Windows update and
      Check for the updates
    • Download and install if there are any pending updates to be installed.
    If the issue still persists, then follow the below method.

Method 3:

Boot the computer in Safe Mode and place the computer in Clean Boot and check if the issue persists.

Step 1:

Safe mode starts Windows with a limited set of files and drivers. Startup programs don't run in safe mode, and only the basic drivers needed to start Windows are installed.

I would suggest you to try the steps in the below Microsoft help article on How to Boot into Safe mode.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-safe-mode

The steps for Windows 8.1 applies well to Windows 10 also.

Step 2:

A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows.

I would suggest you to refer the below Microsoft help article on How to Perform Clean boot.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

The steps for Windows 8.1 applies well to Windows 10 also.

Disclaimer: Please reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot by referring above article.

If the issue still persists, then contact the device manufacturer to download the latest keyboard drivers and check if it helps.

I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad
    to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Aug 21, 2019
  3. Nordic Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Aug 21, 2019
  4. Mussels Win User

Keyboard malfunction after Windows 10 update 1903

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

i've seen this when the stock USB drivers went kaput. Only ever seen it once - i used a PCI USB 2.0 card and connected the mouse and keyboard to that, and manually updated the USB 2/USB 3 drivers.

Mussels, Aug 21, 2019
Thema:

Keyboard malfunction after Windows 10 update 1903

1. Keyboard malfunction after Windows 10 update 1903 - Similar Threads - Keyboard malfunction update

2. Keyboard and touchpad malfunction after update Acer Aspire

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard and touchpad malfunction after update Acer Aspire: Looking for some assistance, if possible, after a recent update, problems occurred with the Windows search option on the lower tool bar which basically opened then reverted to a black screen before vanishing. Typing in the search box was possible initially then this also...
  3. Keyboard and touchpad malfunction after update Acer Aspire

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard and touchpad malfunction after update Acer Aspire: Looking for some assistance, if possible, after a recent update, problems occurred with the Windows search option on the lower tool bar which basically opened then reverted to a black screen before vanishing. Typing in the search box was possible initially then this also...
  4. Keyboard and touchpad malfunction after update Acer Aspire

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Keyboard malfunction after Windows Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard malfunction after Windows Update: I have a HP Omen gaming laptop. After the last Windows update Windows 11, version 22H2, my Function keys started doing some weird things - opening programs that were not asked for instead of doing simple things like turning the volume up and down. I checked for any keyboard...
  6. Keyboard malfunction after Windows Update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard malfunction after Windows Update: I have a HP Omen gaming laptop. After the last Windows update Windows 11, version 22H2, my Function keys started doing some weird things - opening programs that were not asked for instead of doing simple things like turning the volume up and down. I checked for any keyboard...
  7. Keyboard malfunctioning

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Keyboard malfunctioning: some keys are not working, but the troubleshooter says normal. tried auto driver update for keyboard, but says driver is already updated to latest one. I have tried connecting external keyboard but those same keys weren't working; so the problem lies inside! now typing on...
  8. Keyboard is lagging after update to Windows 10 update 1903

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Keyboard is lagging after update to Windows 10 update 1903: I recently update my Window 10 home to version 1903. After that my keyboard is lagging drastically. I am running Windows 10 home inside my MSI Gl63 8RD notebook...
  9. Windows 10 malfunction after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 malfunction after update: Hi, I am having a lot of issues with the new windows10 updates. After the last update my windows is malfunctioning. the taskbar doesn't work. ony media player, file explorer and ms Edge and chrome are working. I can carry out the basic functions but by large it is not...
  10. My Keyboard malfunction after update windows 10 latest build 10586.104

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My Keyboard malfunction after update windows 10 latest build 10586.104: I have no idea what happend... it can't Type " c v and h" tested with many software... it said that my keyboard laptop is working fine but the letter wasn't appeared :'( tried with On Screen Keyboard (Touch Keyboard) on windows 10 too and i can't do anything on firefox.....