Windows 10: Keyboard needs to be unplugged after sleep to start working again

Discus and support Keyboard needs to be unplugged after sleep to start working again in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Every time I wake my laptop up after sleeping, my USB keyboard stops working. The led on the keyboard remains lit, so I know it's still powered, but my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by iRowebot, Dec 6, 2019.

1. iRowebot Win User

Keyboard needs to be unplugged after sleep to start working again

Every time I wake my laptop up after sleeping, my USB keyboard stops working. The led on the keyboard remains lit, so I know it's still powered, but my laptop completely stops responding to the keyboard and I can't even use it to log in.

I've tried messing with BIOS settings, disabled USB selective suspend, and tried unchecking "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" for the keyboard & the USB port it's plugged into in Device Manager. All of my drivers are up to date, but nothing seems to work.

Besides unplugging the keyboard and plugging it back in, the only other way to get it working is if my computer goes to sleep, I wake it up, then put it back to sleep from the lock screen. When I wake up my computer from it's second consecutive sleep, my keyboard works just fine.

The fact that sleeping my computer twice in a row gets the keyboard working is probably a good indicator of where the problem lies, but I have no idea where to even look for a problem like that.

I've wasted more hours trying to find an answer than I'm willing to admit. Nothing on the first few pages of google has solved my problem, so any guidance on this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your help =)

PS. I'm running Windows 10 on a Razer Blade 15 2018 base model.

:)

iRowebot, Dec 6, 2019

2. Windows 10 first time Start-up fail

We appreciate your update. If that's the case, we suggest performing the suggestions below:

• Disable your WiFi or unplug your network cable.
    • Remove any USB device, keyboard, mouse, printer, USB drive, etc.
    • Then, reboot your computer.

Let us know of performing the steps makes any difference.

Let us know if that worked out for you.

Michelle Vil, Dec 6, 2019
  3. Win10: keyboard not working after sleep

I thought I’d solved the problem, but now I’m back where I started.

I’ve disabled all but a few startup services. Currently enabled are Dropbox, Roboform, Realtek audio manager, Spybot, and Webroot SecureAnywhere.

After disabling, when I put the computer to sleep and wake it back up, the keyboard works, at least if I wake it with the mouse and not the keyboard. But now it seems the keyboard only works if the computer hasn’t been asleep very long – though I’m not
    sure how long is “very long.”

But it seems that if I sleep it overnight and wake it in the morning, the keyboard doesn’t work and I have to unplug/reinsert the usb cable. Then it works fine.

Garry Garrison, Dec 6, 2019
  4. Jorge Tan Win User

Keyboard Not working in Windows 10

Hi,

We would suggest you to update your keyboard driver. To update your keyboard driver, follow the steps below:

• Click the Start button, type "device manager" in the search box, and then select Device Manager.
    • In the list of hardware categories, look for Keyboards and then double-click it.
    • Click on the Keyboard tab and choose Update Driver, and then follow the instructions.

Let us know how it goes.

Jorge Tan, Dec 6, 2019
Thema:

1. Keyboard needs to be unplugged after sleep to start working again - Similar Threads - Keyboard needs unplugged

2. Keyboard not working again

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard not working again: My keyboard was not working again. I had been listening to music on Spotify in sleep mode, and suddenly the music stopped. At first, I wanted to turn it on again, but it was not responding, so I force restarted the PC by long pressing the power button. After that, the...
  3. Keyboard not working again

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard not working again: My keyboard was not working again. I had been listening to music on Spotify in sleep mode, and suddenly the music stopped. At first, I wanted to turn it on again, but it was not responding, so I force restarted the PC by long pressing the power button. After that, the...
  4. PC Freezing after unplugging keyboard

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC Freezing after unplugging keyboard: Sometimes my keyboards stops recieving input and when i unplug the keyboard my PC freezes and i only have the option of rebooting the PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-freezing-after-unplugging-keyboard/2ba9fa20-f391-467a-bd7c-4162d65fbcab
  5. PC Freezing after unplugging keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Freezing after unplugging keyboard: Sometimes my keyboards stops recieving input and when i unplug the keyboard my PC freezes and i only have the option of rebooting the PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-freezing-after-unplugging-keyboard/2ba9fa20-f391-467a-bd7c-4162d65fbcab
  6. PC Freezing after unplugging keyboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Keyboard and mouse stop working then start again

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard and mouse stop working then start again: recently i was working on my computer when my keyboard and mouse both stopped working i tried restarting the desktop several times after it completely rebooted i got them back the mouse as i write this is stable and not stopping or disappearing but the keyboard will stop from...
  8. Audio randomly stops working, will work again after plugging and unplugging headphones.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Audio randomly stops working, will work again after plugging and unplugging headphones.: Pretty much the title. To be clear, I will be listening to a video through my laptop's speakers, without heaphones, then out of nowhere the audio will stop. I've figured out that if I plug in my headphones and then unplug them again, the audio will temporarily come back,...
  9. Win10 keyboard doesn't work after unplugging it..HELP

Win10 keyboard doesn't work after unplugging it..HELP: hey, my usb keyboard doesn't work anymore after unplugging it. ive restored my pc, installed new windows, deleted ''old'' drivers and installed new. nothing. ive tried device troubleshooting from 'run'. ive tried every usb-slot too. HELP. 145617
  10. Keyboard won't work after sleep

Keyboard won't work after sleep: I have a Dell XPS 15 9550 with Windows 10 Pro. I have ensured all software and drivers are up to date including the 1903 update, this problem started before the update. When my laptop wakes up from sleep mode the keyboard will not work at all. The touchpad and touchscreen...