Windows 10: Keyboard not letting me type consecutive letters

Discus and support Keyboard not letting me type consecutive letters in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My keyboard was fine a few hours ago, however now whenever I try to type, it won't register 2 consecutive letters together. For example if I tried to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ccousins, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Keyboard not letting me type consecutive letters

My keyboard was fine a few hours ago, however now whenever I try to type, it won't register 2 consecutive letters together. For example if I tried to type "Google", only "Gogle" would show up. Also after each letter I type, I hear this ticking noise coming from the computer. I can also change the volume of the ticking depending on how loud my system volume is. What did I to my computer to get it in this mode, and how do I get out of it?

submitted by /u/ccousins
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ccousins, Sep 8, 2020

2. Keyboard not typing letters

Hi Bob,

Sorry for the delay in replying. I would suggest you to try the Onscreen keyboard and check if it helps.

Please have a look at this article and check if it helps. Even though the article is for Windows 8.1, the option to enable the onscreen keyboard is the same.

Use the On-Screen Keyboard (OSK) to type

After you are able to log in, I would suggest you to change the log in option or you may follow the steps provided by Neha Gupta to update the drivers and check if it helps.

Thank you.

Rohit Chettri, Sep 8, 2020
  3. v_realo Win User
    Keyboard typing numbers instead of letters

Hi flemmingknudsen,

I’m Rey, your Independent Advisor.

I understand you are having trouble with your keyboard which types numbers instead of letters. Let me help you with this.

I understand that you have tried the num lock key and it's the same outcome.

Have you tried to press Fn key + Num lock? If not, try it and see if it will fix the concern.

If still it will not fix the issue, follow this steps:

1.Press Windows Key + R then type osk and hit Enter to open On-Screen Keyboard.

2.Turn off Num Lock by clicking on it (If it is ON it will be shown in different color).

3.If you can’t see the Num lock then click on Options.

4.Checkmark “Turn on numeric key pad” and click OK.

5.This will enable the NumLock option and you could easily turn it off.

6.Reboot your PC to save changes.

Lastly, sometimes 3rd party software can conflict with Hardware such as Keyboard and can cause this issue. In order to Fix Keyboard Typing Numbers Instead of Letters issue, you need to perform a clean boot on your PC .

1. Press windows key + R, then type msconfig.

2. Select In General tab, select Selective Start up, put a check mark on load system services and unchecked "Load start up items".

Let me know if you still have issues after these steps and let's work on this together.

I believe that these steps will help you solve this issue you have. If not, kindly contact me and let me know.

v_realo, Sep 8, 2020
  4. Darshan J Win User

Keyboard not letting me type consecutive letters

When numlock is on, my desktop keyboard types numbers instead of letters

Hello Vicky,

Please help us with the below information to help you better.

• What is the make and model of your laptop?
    This issue might occur if function key in the keyboard is enabled. So as an initial steps, I suggest you to check for the function key in the key board and make sure that it is not enabled.

If the issue still persists you can run Hardware troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Suggest you to follow the steps below and run the
    Hardware and Device
    troubleshooter and check if it helps.

• Type “Troubleshooting” on the search bar.
    • Click on troubleshooting, then click on “Hardware and sound”.
    • Under Hardware and sound, click on “hardware and devices”.
    • A pop-up will appear, click on the “Next" button and your hardware troubleshooting will start.
    Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Darshan J, Sep 8, 2020
Thema:

Keyboard not letting me type consecutive letters

1. Keyboard not letting me type consecutive letters - Similar Threads - Keyboard letting type

2. My inbuilt and external keyboard both wont let me type the letter d but im able to type it...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My inbuilt and external keyboard both wont let me type the letter d but im able to type it...: ive tried to install drivers ive tried to disable keyboard in device manager ive tried everything online an it just wont work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-inbuilt-and-external-keyboard-both-wont-let-me/dd81c86c-f0cc-45b2-bcc6-8c160a5e7ff7
  3. My inbuilt and external keyboard both wont let me type the letter d but im able to type it...

in Cortana
    My inbuilt and external keyboard both wont let me type the letter d but im able to type it...: ive tried to install drivers ive tried to disable keyboard in device manager ive tried everything online an it just wont work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-inbuilt-and-external-keyboard-both-wont-let-me/dd81c86c-f0cc-45b2-bcc6-8c160a5e7ff7
  4. My inbuilt and external keyboard both wont let me type the letter d but im able to type it...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. My Keyboard Won't Let Me Type a Letter Until I Type Several Times, and Then it Works

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Keyboard Won't Let Me Type a Letter Until I Type Several Times, and Then it Works: When I open a new tab, for example, and I click on the search bar, and I start typing, letters won't show up until I tap my keyboard multiple times. For example, if I went to Google "college basketball scores" and typed it how I normally would, it would probably say "lege...
  6. My Keyboard Won't Let Me Type a Letter Until I Type Several Times, and Then it Works

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Keyboard Won't Let Me Type a Letter Until I Type Several Times, and Then it Works: When I open a new tab, for example, and I click on the search bar, and I start typing, letters won't show up until I tap my keyboard multiple times. For example, if I went to Google "college basketball scores" and typed it how I normally would, it would probably say "lege...
  7. My Keyboard Won't Let Me Type a Letter Until I Type Several Times, and Then it Works

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Keyboard typing extra letters

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard typing extra letters: I've got a Lenovo e300 2nd gen running on Windows 10 Pro Education. An entire section of the keyboard is malfunctioning. When I press the 8 key in the top row, it types 13247890. When I push the i key, it types qewruiop. When I push the k key, it types adsfjkl;\. You'll...
  9. Keyboard Typing Random Letters

in Windows 10 Customization
    Keyboard Typing Random Letters: Help! I don't know what happened but my keyboard will type seemingly random letters/number every time you push any key (even same key multiple times). I have gone into the computer's keyboard settings and switched languages from and back to the original English settings and...
  10. Keyboard is typing the wrong letters

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard is typing the wrong letters: My Logitec K350 keyboard works fine when I plug it into my laptop. When I plug it into my desktop and search on Google, try to shop on Amazon, etc. it produces the wrong letter when I press on a few of them. s key types an i q key types a s e key types a m Same...