Windows 10: keyboard not responding

Discus and support keyboard not responding in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; After the last update the device went into tablet mode so I can only use the touch screen--how do I get the keyboard back... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by maggie252js, Dec 24, 2020.

1. keyboard not responding

After the last update the device went into tablet mode so I can only use the touch screen--how do I get the keyboard back

:)

maggie252js, Dec 24, 2020

2. keyboard is not responding

Hi,

Thanks for the update and response.

Follow the below steps and check if it helps.

I would suggest you to use the On Screen Keyboard by click on Ease of access login to the computer and then follow the below methods.

Uninstall keyboard driver and install the latest drivers from the manufacturer website.

• Press Windows key + X key when you are at desktop.
    • Select Device Manager.
    • Expand Keyboard.
    • Right on the Keyboard driver and click on Uninstall.
    • Install the latest drivers from the manufacturer website.
    Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with the issue. We are glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, Dec 24, 2020
  3. keyboard on laptop doesn't respond on initial startup

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience that you are unable to access laptop keyboard, we will help you to resolve this issue.

Kindly provide us with the following information to understand the issue and assist you better:

• What happens when you try to access on-screen keyboard?
    • Have to tried to connect an external keyboard and check?
    • What is the make and model of your laptop?

This issue might be due to corrupted or missing System files.

I suggest you to perform the below troubleshooting steps and check.

Method 1: I suggest you to connect an external keyboard and check if the issue persists.

Method 2: Run the SFC.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).

• Type “sfc /scannow” without quotes and hit
      Enter.
    • After the scan, restart the computer.
    • Now check for the issue.

Method 3: Run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

Hardware and Devices troubleshooter checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search
      box from the desktop and select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View All option in the left pane of the troubleshooting window.
    • Click on “Hardware and Devices”.
    • Follow the On Screen instructions.

Hope it helps. Perform the above troubleshooting steps and kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Dec 24, 2020
  4. Geethu B Win User

keyboard not responding

Keyboard not Responding & Other Issues

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I understand that you have an issue with keyboard.
    I will surely help you to fix this issue.

To understand the issue better, let me know what is the make and model of the computer?

This issue could have occurred due to these reasons:

1. Damaged hardware.

2. Missing Windows Updates.

3. Corrupt keyboard driver.

Try the steps listed here:

Method 1:

I would suggest you to connect an external keyboard and check if the issue persists or not.

Method 2:

If the issue persists, I suggest you to download and install all available Windows Updates and check if it helps.

Method 3:

If the issue persists, I suggest you to download and install latest keyboard driver from the manufacturer website and check if it helps.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Dec 24, 2020
Thema:

keyboard not responding

1. keyboard not responding - Similar Threads - keyboard responding

2. My pc is getting stuck and then the keyboard not responding, automatically power offs. What...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My pc is getting stuck and then the keyboard not responding, automatically power offs. What...: My pc is getting freeze and not responding to cursor or any buttons. It automatically power offs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-pc-is-getting-stuck-and-then-the-keyboard-not/9dcd4e98-5641-4abf-a15a-222df94e3957
  3. My pc is getting stuck and then the keyboard not responding, automatically power offs. What...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My pc is getting stuck and then the keyboard not responding, automatically power offs. What...: My pc is getting freeze and not responding to cursor or any buttons. It automatically power offs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-pc-is-getting-stuck-and-then-the-keyboard-not/9dcd4e98-5641-4abf-a15a-222df94e3957
  4. Keyboard has stopped responding after the recent windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard has stopped responding after the recent windows update: Keyboard has stopped responding with the recent windows update and I have tried to uninstall the keyboard driver and I have let the windows to reinstall during the new start, but still the issue persists , not sure how to proceed further on this and w.r.t. hardware I am not...
  5. Keyboard has stopped responding after the recent windows update

Keyboard has stopped responding after the recent windows update: Keyboard has stopped responding with the recent windows update and I have tried to uninstall the keyboard driver and I have let the windows to reinstall during the new start, but still the issue persists , not sure how to proceed further on this and w.r.t. hardware I am not...
  6. R key and X key of my laptop keyboard can't respond.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    R key and X key of my laptop keyboard can't respond.: I use omen2021, and my external keyboard is all right, but the R key and X key of my laptop keyboard can't respond. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/r-key-and-x-key-of-my-laptop-keyboard-cant-respond/2034a170-53a9-4749-95c4-89be5d0c7a20
  7. R key and X key of my laptop keyboard can't respond.

R key and X key of my laptop keyboard can't respond.: I use omen2021, and my external keyboard is all right, but the R key and X key of my laptop keyboard can't respond. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/r-key-and-x-key-of-my-laptop-keyboard-cant-respond/2034a170-53a9-4749-95c4-89be5d0c7a20
  8. keyboard not responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    keyboard not responding: my keyboard which is Bluetooth with a usb wire no longer responds. It lights up and makes sound with each tap but doesn't show on page local, nor online https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/keyboard-not-responding/9d0a92cc-f738-4442-8d49-3235259f245a
  9. keyboard not responding

keyboard not responding: my keyboard which is Bluetooth with a usb wire no longer responds. It lights up and makes sound with each tap but doesn't show on page local, nor online https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/keyboard-not-responding/9d0a92cc-f738-4442-8d49-3235259f245a
  10. PC does not respond to mouse or keyboard in hibernation/sleep mode.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC does not respond to mouse or keyboard in hibernation/sleep mode.: I have Windows 11 factory installed on my PC. When left unattended it will go into whatever power setting, I have selected but when I try to wake it up it will not respond to any command from the keyboard or mouse. It is locked or frozen. I have switched monitors and get the...