Windows 10: Keyboard Not Working on Laptop--Except for Password on Lock Screen

Discus and support Keyboard Not Working on Laptop--Except for Password on Lock Screen in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I really hope somebody can help me with this! The strangest thing just happened. I carried my open laptop to a different room, and then when I tried to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MeredithHolden, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Keyboard Not Working on Laptop--Except for Password on Lock Screen

I really hope somebody can help me with this! The strangest thing just happened. I carried my open laptop to a different room, and then when I tried to type, nothing would show up and my laptop began making strange clicking sounds.

I rebooted the laptop to see if this would fix the problem. On the lock screen, the keyboard works to allow me to type my password in to enter the laptop. However, once I am at the desktop, the keyboard will not function.

Does anybody have any advice or a solution to this problem? The laptop is only a few months old. It is a Windows 10 Dell Inspiron Notebook.

:)

MeredithHolden, Jan 12, 2017

2. I stuck at the lock screenKeyboard Not Working on Laptop--Except for Password on Lock Screen :( and not able to click or enter password on Windows 10 computer

Old title: I stuck at the lock screenKeyboard Not Working on Laptop--Except for Password on Lock Screen :(

Hi. So I stuck in lock screen where I should write my password and I can't click anything except on the lock screen where wallpapers are. My mouse is working, keyboard is working too, but I can't click on the password bar. Please help me.

SergejMarkevic, Jan 12, 2017
  3. vanbroot Win User
    Long delay at the login screen

When I boot up my laptop there's a long delay before I can type in the password. By long delay, about 1-2 minutes. During this delay, the login screen is blue and is completely unresponsive. I can't click on anything on the screen except for the turn off
    at the bottom. The keyboard appears to be responsive - caps lock/num lock lights go on and off. Sometimes it goes back to the welcome screen with some picture. Then after about 1-2 minutes it suddenly starts working and I can type in my password at which point
    everything appears to work normally.

vanbroot, Jan 12, 2017
  4. Keyboard Not Working on Laptop--Except for Password on Lock Screen

Does it have an SSD or a conventional HD(spinner) ??

The clicking makes me think the HD has a problem if it is a spinner.

MilesAhead, Jan 12, 2017
  5. To be perfectly honest, I am not sure. I know very little about computers! My laptop is an INSPIRON 11 3162 NOTEBOOK and the model is I3162-0002WHT. I would really appreciate any help I can get!

MeredithHolden, Jan 12, 2017
  6. Looks like it has 32 GB flash storage. No HD. But my guess is that there is something physically detached in the machine. Perhaps some one of the little cables came off a connector. If it is under warranty I would contact the seller and see if they will service it locally if you bought it at a brick and mortar store. If you bought it online you may have to ship it to them for servicing.

I would check out the warranty because if you have it serviced by the local repair shop not associated with the manufacturer or seller even if it is a simple fix like reconnecting a cable the fact you got it serviced by a third party may void the warranty. So you should call their customer service to find out if that is so and what the warranty covers before making any decisions.

MilesAhead, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Keyboard Not Working on Laptop--Except for Password on Lock Screen

1. Keyboard Not Working on Laptop--Except for Password on Lock Screen - Similar Threads - Keyboard Working Laptop

2. Lock screen password not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lock screen password not working: I was watching a YouTube guide on how to remove the lock screen sign in screen but now my password doesn't work at all and I can't sign in and Itry resetting my password but it asks for some reset disc. I really don't understand and need help...
  3. Lock screen password not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lock screen password not working: I was watching a YouTube guide on how to remove the lock screen sign in screen but now my password doesn't work at all and I can't sign in and Itry resetting my password but it asks for some reset disc. I really don't understand and need help...
  4. Lock screen password not working

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  5. keyboard and onscreen keyboard not working on lock screen

keyboard and onscreen keyboard not working on lock screen: I cant log into my laptop the number keys works but nothing else does i cant type on the onscreen keyboard not on my physical laptop keyboard it was fine the night bfr but when i turned it on this morning the keyboard stopped working and i cant turn log into my laptop through...
  6. keyboard and onscreen keyboard not working on lock screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    keyboard and onscreen keyboard not working on lock screen: I cant log into my laptop the number keys works but nothing else does i cant type on the onscreen keyboard not on my physical laptop keyboard it was fine the night bfr but when i turned it on this morning the keyboard stopped working and i cant turn log into my laptop through...
  7. keyboard and onscreen keyboard not working on lock screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Keyboard and mouse not working on lock screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard and mouse not working on lock screen: Today as I booted up my computer as normal, I found that at the lock screen my keyboard and mouse did not work. After many restarts and trial and error with other keyboards, this is what I have found. All keyboards and mice tested work in the BIOS settings but aside from that...
  9. Keyboard keys not working on Lock screen !!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard keys not working on Lock screen !!: I have HP pavilion Notebook with Windows 10 fully updated. Whenever I starts my laptop, the Lock screen ask for password, But when I type password only key I,tab and space work from HP Laptop Keyboard. Then I have to wait for a few minutes, the Lock screen starts...
  10. Change Lock screen Password on laptop

Change Lock screen Password on laptop: How do I change my Lock Screen password on my laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-lock-screen-password-on-laptop/8ed99547-c296-443c-a7ae-2b9ce62b850e

Users found this page by searching for:

1. keyboard locked except for password