Windows 10: Keyboard only typing the number 6

Discus and support Keyboard only typing the number 6 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; A friend had a malware / virus attack in Chrome. It was a beeping warning that Windows Defender had error 0x80060402. She used the Task Manager to shut... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by oldyankee, May 3, 2016.

1. oldyankee Win User

Keyboard only typing the number 6

A friend had a malware / virus attack in Chrome. It was a beeping warning that Windows Defender had error 0x80060402. She used the Task Manager to shut down Chrome and then shut off her laptop. When she tried to turn it on again nothing happened, it would not turn on. I now have the laptop, a Lenovo G580. I managed to get it started by removing all power, AC adapter, Battery and CMOS battery. I got to the Win 10 logon screen to enter her password, but no matter what key I press, it only types the number 6 in the password field. I have restarted many times with the same result. If I power down the laptop, it will not start again until I remove all power and the CMOS battery. It will then start up again, after reinstalling CMOS battery and connecting AC power. If I just restart, it will start again. I can not get into the BIOS. The time and date on the lock screen a wrong, but no way to get into the BIOS to change. I removed the hard drive and tried to boot with a boot CD, no luck there either.
    I am hoping that the all powerful computer gurus on here can help.

Don

:)

oldyankee, May 3, 2016

2. keyboard

i plugged in a sades K10 keyboard to my lap top, and now the shift 6 doesnt work in most applications. It lets me put in my password but it wont let me type that one symbol in here, most passwords, only on this computer, on every keyboard i plug in. When
    I unplug the keyboard, half of the laptop keys are numbers because the sades keyboard has a number pad which I know is an easy fix, but I cant get it to type shift 6.

lizzieleyy, May 3, 2016
  3. Only numbers 5 and 6 on keyboard work

Hello, I have recently been having problems with my number keys and after searching the web have found nothing which has helped me. If you are not aware, my problem is that when I type any number, except 5 and 6, and their shift counterparts nothing comes
    up. I have no idea what is wrong and would really appreciate anyones help.

My PC is a UKGC-PC running windows 10 and my keyboard is an SI gaming keyboard.

Finlay McCormick, May 3, 2016
  4. RWOne Win User

For the moment, my first thought is to try an external KB on it ... Then try booting and BIOS hotkeys, and go from there.

I'd also be sure of a BIOS reset by removing AC, batt and BIOS Batt, then holding power down on it for 30 sec (count it out).
    (This works on my HP, may or may not work for the Lenovo, but worth a shot)

RWOne, May 3, 2016
  5. oldyankee Win User
    Yup, did all that, except the external KB. Not sure what that is. Removing all batteries and AC power is the only way that I got it to boot this far

oldyankee, May 3, 2016
  6. oldyankee Win User
    duh !!!

oldyankee, May 3, 2016
  7. RWOne Win User
    Duh!!!

Sarcasm?

RWOne, May 3, 2016
  8. oldyankee Win User

Of course. LOL, Been looking around but I don't have a USB external KB

oldyankee, May 3, 2016
  9. RWOne Win User
    Wasn't sure, I already had 2-3 threads where KB and MSE were "?" by their OP's .... *Smile

I have the opposite issue, too many lying around the house, let alone wireless sets ...

RWOne, May 3, 2016
  10. oldyankee Win User
    Of course. LOL, Been looking around but I don't have a USB external KB

oldyankee, May 6, 2016
  11. oldyankee Win User
    I got a USB keyboard to work. But there is no way I have found to get into the bios. When 'restart'ing, the prompts to press a key to get into the bis are not there. the USB keyboard works after Windows loads, but not sure if the bios is picking it up at all. I tried to flash the bios with a utility from Lenovo, it goes thru the motions and shuts the laptop down. When I start it again, the same bios is still there, and the malfunctions are still malfunctioning. I have no wi-fi, no DVD, no mouse touch pad and it will not boot from either DVD or USB. Laptop keyboard still typing weird.

oldyankee, May 6, 2016
  12. davedajh Win User
    Issue Still not resolved

Yes this is an old tread, but I have the same issue. Mine is a touch screen so I was able to do a factory reset, but when putting my username in the whole startup process, it still type 6666666. When I finish the startup stuff with the touch screen I still don't have wifi.

*BangheadSide Note: this has happened before. Three times. Each time the problem when away after the battery died and I tried to restart it and it did some sort of up date with no wifi. Don't know why it didn't work this time.

davedajh, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Keyboard only typing the number 6 - Similar Threads - Keyboard typing number

2. unable to type numbers in keyboard.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable to type numbers in keyboard.: keyboard unable to type numbers https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-type-numbers-in-keyboard/c6b6ce9f-c105-4a3e-9d63-a5435d69827d
  3. unable to type numbers in keyboard.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unable to type numbers in keyboard.: keyboard unable to type numbers https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-type-numbers-in-keyboard/c6b6ce9f-c105-4a3e-9d63-a5435d69827d
  4. Only Number Keys 5 and 6 Working In Row of Number Keys

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Only Number Keys 5 and 6 Working In Row of Number Keys: All of the number keys on my keyboard, other than the numpad, which still works fine for some reason, won't work except numbers 5 and 6. This is also the same with the symbols for each key, only the symbols corresponding to 5 and 6 work. I don't really understand why this...
  5. Keyboard typing random letters and numbers

in Windows 10 Customization
    Keyboard typing random letters and numbers: Accidentally pressed something on my keyboard and now it types random letters and numbers whenever you press certain keys.Also on my lock screen so I can’t get to device manager from my keyboard Because I can’t type in my password. Please help...
  6. Keyboard typing random numbers and characters

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Keyboard typing random numbers and characters: Hi,So I was playing a game on my computer when I suddenly noticed my keyboard was really buggy after I had messaged my friendI typed out: "Im in poggers on a call" poggers was a name of a minecraft world Instead it typed: "\im \in6 -pogge5rs on6 a call". It was typing random...
  7. Keyboard automatically keeps on typing number "6"

Keyboard automatically keeps on typing number "6": Keyboard automatically keeps on typing number "6" and locks muse movement witht he no 6 key above the alphabet pad does not work.Tried formating my pc didn't work also checked out the keyboard of laptop it is ok....
  8. Number 6 key not working on keyboard!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Number 6 key not working on keyboard!: Hello there, I am having problems with my keyboard. I just bought this new keyboard from corsair and it should not have any problems but I found that my number 6 key above Y and T is not working at all. No program is able to use this key so I tried trouble shooting with...
  9. Keyboard typing numbers instead of letters

Keyboard typing numbers instead of letters: keyboard types numbers instead of letters in the command window. Also in some other apps. Not in notepad, not in google chrome not in file explorer. Pressing Num Lock doesn't change anything. Using an Asus UX31e Zenbook with external mouse, keyboard and monitor. Keyboard...
  10. Keyboard wont type numbers OR will only type numbers

in Windows 10 News
    Keyboard wont type numbers OR will only type numbers: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Usually, numbers keys are present on two spots on a keyboard. One is at the number pad and the other of above the letters. You might face an issue where your laptop keyboard won’t type numbers. This could be with [...] This post Keyboard wont type numbers OR...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. virus that attack by typing the number 6