Windows 10: Keyboard opening shortcuts instead of typing letters in Windows 10

Discus and support Keyboard opening shortcuts instead of typing letters in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Are you facing an issue in which random applications open when you press any key on the keyboard? If random applications open when pressing any key on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, May 27, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

Keyboard opening shortcuts instead of typing letters in Windows 10

Are you facing an issue in which random applications open when you press any key on the keyboard? If random applications open when pressing any key on the keyboard & the keyboard is opening shortcuts instead of typing letters, then this post may help you. The issue is very annoying as it does not let you concentrate on your work. Whenever you type something, Windows launches a random application.

Keyboard opening shortcuts instead of typing letters in Windows 10 random-applications-open-pressing-keys.png

Before you move ahead towards the troubleshooting steps, change your keyboard to know whether it is working fine or not. Many users have also reported that they were able to fix the issue by pressing Windows + Alt keys at the same time. You can also try this, but it is only a temporary solution.

Keyboard opening shortcuts instead of typing letters

The following solutions may help you fix the issue:

1. Disable the Stickey and Filter keys.
    2. Disable WindowsInkWorkspace.
    3. Run the Keyboard Troubleshooter.
    4. Reinstall the Keyboard driver.
    1] Disable the Stickey and Filter keys

Sometimes, Sticky and Filter keys can cause the problem if they are turned On. The only way to check if these keys are the real culprit for the problem is to disable them. Launch Windows Settings app and turn Off the Sticky keys and Filter keys.

2] Disable WindowsInkWorkspace

If the above method did not solve your problem, try to disable the Windows Ink Workspace. To do so, you have to modify the Registry values. But before you proceed, it is suggested to create a backup of the registry so that you can restore it if any problem occurs.

Keyboard opening shortcuts instead of typing letters in Windows 10 random-applications-open-pressing-keyboard.png

Follow the below-listed steps:

Press Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box.

Type regedit and click OK. This will open the Registry Editor. If you get UAC (User Account Control) window, click Yes.

Navigate to the following path. Alternatively, you can paste this path into the address bar of the Registry Editor and press Enter:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft

Expand the Microsoft key.

Check if it contains the WindowsInkWorkspace subkey. If not, create it. To do so, right-click on the Microsoft key and select New > Key and name it as WindowsInkWorkspace.

Now, right-click on the right pane and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.

Rename the newly created value as AllowWindowsInkWorkspace.

Double-click on it and set its value to 0.

Restart your system.

3] Run the Keyboard Troubleshooter

You can also run the Keyboard Troubleshooter and see if that works.

4] Reinstall the Keyboard driver

Keyboard opening shortcuts instead of typing letters in Windows 10 Keyboard-opening-shortcuts-instead-of-typing-letters.jpg

We suggest you uninstall the keyboard driver via the Device Manager, then download the driver from the manufacturer’s website and install it. This can also help.

We hope this article helped you solve the issue.

Related articles:

Keyboard opening shortcuts instead of typing letters in Windows 10 random-applications-open-pressing-keys.png
    This article Keyboard opening shortcuts instead of typing letters in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, May 27, 2021
  2. v_realo Win User

Keyboard typing numbers instead of letters

Hi flemmingknudsen,

I’m Rey, your Independent Advisor.

I understand you are having trouble with your keyboard which types numbers instead of letters. Let me help you with this.

I understand that you have tried the num lock key and it's the same outcome.

Have you tried to press Fn key + Num lock? If not, try it and see if it will fix the concern.

If still it will not fix the issue, follow this steps:

1.Press Windows Key + R then type osk and hit Enter to open On-Screen Keyboard.

2.Turn off Num Lock by clicking on it (If it is ON it will be shown in different color).

3.If you can’t see the Num lock then click on Options.

4.Checkmark “Turn on numeric key pad” and click OK.

5.This will enable the NumLock option and you could easily turn it off.

6.Reboot your PC to save changes.

Lastly, sometimes 3rd party software can conflict with Hardware such as Keyboard and can cause this issue. In order to Fix Keyboard Typing Numbers Instead of Letters issue, you need to perform a clean boot on your PC .

1. Press windows key + R, then type msconfig.

2. Select In General tab, select Selective Start up, put a check mark on load system services and unchecked "Load start up items".

Let me know if you still have issues after these steps and let's work on this together.

I believe that these steps will help you solve this issue you have. If not, kindly contact me and let me know.

v_realo, May 27, 2021
  3. Frick Win User
    Windows 10 commands/shortcuts/env. var.

Keyboard shortcuts to open programs:

Create a shortcut on the desktop to whatever program you want. Right click -> Properties and fill in the field there. Sadly the shortcut needs to remain on the desktop, but you can hide it.

Fun fact: If you had keyboard shortcuts for programs pinned to your Windows 7 start menu, those shortcuts still work when you update to Windows 10.

Frick, May 27, 2021
  4. Rose Ter Win User

Keyboard types letters instead of numbers when inputting card details

Hi,

In order for us to assist you regarding the keyboard issue that type letters instead of numbers when putting in card details. Kindly refer to the response of
    Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP on this
    link
    . This will provide you steps on how to use the correct software keyboard.

Let us know how it goes.

Rose Ter, May 27, 2021
Thema:

1. Keyboard opening shortcuts instead of typing letters in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Keyboard opening shortcuts

2. I cannot type on my laptop, instead of typing letters it's typing shortcuts.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I cannot type on my laptop, instead of typing letters it's typing shortcuts.: Hello I have a T440s Lenovo Business Laptop. I have upgraded the windows 7 to windows 10 for a few years now and nothing has ever happened like this before. I have tried uninstalling the keyboard, Restarting computer, checking for the latest drivers for my keyboard,...
  3. I cannot type on my laptop, instead of typing letters it's typing shortcuts.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cannot type on my laptop, instead of typing letters it's typing shortcuts.: Hello I have a T440s Lenovo Business Laptop. I have upgraded the windows 7 to windows 10 for a few years now and nothing has ever happened like this before. I have tried uninstalling the keyboard, Restarting computer, checking for the latest drivers for my keyboard,...
  4. I cannot type on my laptop, instead of typing letters it's typing shortcuts.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Keyboard does shortcuts instead of typing letters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard does shortcuts instead of typing letters: Hello : I have the following issue: For a couple of days now, my keyboard doesn’t work properly anymore.Whenever I try to type in letters and numbers, I have a little loading sign next to my mouse cursor, but it won’t type any letters. Also, whenever I press ‘S’, it takes a...
  6. Keyboard does shortcuts instead of typing letters

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard does shortcuts instead of typing letters: Hello : I have the following issue: For a couple of days now, my keyboard doesn’t work properly anymore.Whenever I try to type in letters and numbers, I have a little loading sign next to my mouse cursor, but it won’t type any letters. Also, whenever I press ‘S’, it takes a...
  7. Keyboard does shortcuts instead of typing letters

8. Microsoft Ergonomic Sculpt Keyboard opens shortcuts instead of typing

Microsoft Ergonomic Sculpt Keyboard opens shortcuts instead of typing: Hello, I have a new out of box Microsoft Sculpt Keyboard and mouse combo - mouse works great. When using the keyboard to type it continually opens shortcuts and menu bars even when I deliberately pick up my hands and only hit one key. it does it on numerous keys...
  9. Keyboard typing numbers instead of letters

Keyboard typing numbers instead of letters: keyboard types numbers instead of letters in the command window. Also in some other apps. Not in notepad, not in google chrome not in file explorer. Pressing Num Lock doesn't change anything. Using an Asus UX31e Zenbook with external mouse, keyboard and monitor. Keyboard...
  10. Keyboard does shortcuts instead of letters

Keyboard does shortcuts instead of letters: Greetings all, First time poster here - I've come across an issue I can't seem to solve myself. Ever since yesterday (October 10th) typing on my keyboard activates shortcuts rather than typing letters. For example, pressing D minimizes everything, pressing S opens the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. my keyboard only types shortcuts

2. keyboard shortcuts instead of typing

3. Keyboard opening shortcuts instead of typing Windows 10

4. keyboard opening shortcuts instead of typing,
  5. pressing keys opens shortcuts,
  6. keyboard giving shortcut instead of typing ,
  7. computer opening random things whe i try to type,
  8. keyboard and mouse opens shortcuts instead of typing,
  9. why is my keyboard not typing letters but opening shortcuts,
  10. how to make your laptop keyboard perform type letters instead of shortcuts