Windows 10: Keyboard Partially Not Working On Boot-up

Discus and support Keyboard Partially Not Working On Boot-up in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all. bit of an odd one here, that's really annoying me. our work putters are Surface Pros using Win 10. Since we've been homeworking, I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by wolfie138, Jun 8, 2020.

1. wolfie138 Win User

Keyboard Partially Not Working On Boot-up

Hi all.
    bit of an odd one here, that's really annoying me. our work putters are Surface Pros using Win 10. Since we've been homeworking, I have basically the same set-up as at work; I have a separate keyboard [my Logi K120 as opposed to work's HP one] plugged into the dock thing. When I boot in the mornings, we connect to the VPN etc etc, all is okay but my keyboard is behaving oddly - for a period of a few minutes, none of the keys but the letters seem to work - enter, ctrl etc etc are all disabled, then some times later all is good again. it's not just me either, another guy I was talking too said his does similar.
    any idea what's going on? not getting any error pop-ups or what have you, nothing much in events.

TIA

:)

wolfie138, Jun 8, 2020
  2. barlowLAD Win User

Keyboard not working during boot

Hi all,

I have windows 7 installed on a ssd, and the boot time is quick! however Im wondering if its too quick, as the lights on the keyboard dont come on until im into windows, so I cant access the bios, I bought a cheap keyboard to make sure my ms sidewinder x4 wasnt broke.

Any suggestions?

barlowLAD, Jun 8, 2020
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Keyboard shortcut Alt key not working

Hi,

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better.

• Since when are you facing this issue?

• Did you make any software or hardware changes on your computer prior to this issue?

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: You may check if the ALT key is functioning correctly in on-screen keyboard. It will help us to verify if there is any issue with the keyboard.

Follow the steps below to open On-screen Keyboard.

• Windows + Q, type OSK (on-screen keyboard)

• And check if it works
    Step 2: Run Hardware and device Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your devices. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Jun 8, 2020
  4. Keyboard Partially Not Working On Boot-up

Mouse/Keyboard work in BIOS, they do not work once computer boots

I have been using computers for over 25 years now, and I have never run across a problem like this. Backstory: I built my current PC about a year ago. Everything worked perfectly until about 5 days ago. At that point, it needed to restart. I restarted it, and upon boot neither the mouse or keyboard would respond. I tried a different mouse and keyboard, they did not work either. I tried both of the mice and keyboards with another PC, and they worked fine. This absolutely rules out the problem being the inputs.Then, I noticed that the mouse and keyboard do work in BIOS. However, after exiting BIOS and booting, they stop responding altogether. I have gone into system recovery countless times and tried literally every recovery option listed, to no avail. Any suggestions to help would be GREATLY appreciated. For the past 5 days I have literally had a $3000 paperweight.

JamesKBoyd, Jun 8, 2020
Thema:

Keyboard Partially Not Working On Boot-up

1. Keyboard Partially Not Working On Boot-up - Similar Threads - Keyboard Partially Working

2. Keyboard partially working after wake up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard partially working after wake up: About 1 in 5 times that Windows wakes up from sleep the keyboard will not type. The only fix I've found is to restart the computer.It's a Logitech MX Mechanical Bluetooth, however, the integrated volume up and down buttons do work, and the device is recognized by the...
  3. Keyboard partially working after wake up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard partially working after wake up: About 1 in 5 times that Windows wakes up from sleep the keyboard will not type. The only fix I've found is to restart the computer.It's a Logitech MX Mechanical Bluetooth, however, the integrated volume up and down buttons do work, and the device is recognized by the...
  4. PC boots up but keyboard and mouse don't work

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PC boots up but keyboard and mouse don't work: I just plugged in my second computer and it boots up normally but when I get to the login screen the keyboard and mouse don't do anything. The backlighting on my keyboard works but no matter what let's I press nothing works and I can't get into my PC. I've tried a second...
  5. Keyboard and mouse only partially working?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Keyboard and mouse only partially working?: I’m working from home with a company laptop. In order to use my laptop, today I plugged my HDMI cord from monitor 1 into it, as well as my HDMI to USB-C cord from monitor 2 into it. Then, I plugged my USB hub, which has my keyboard, mouse, speakers, and webcam into it....
  6. Keyboard Partially Not Working On Boot-up

Keyboard Partially Not Working On Boot-up: Hi all. bit of an odd one here, that's really annoying me. our work putters are Surface Pros using Win 10. Since we've been homeworking, I have basically the same set-up as at work; I have a separate keyboard [my Logi K120 as opposed to work's HP one] plugged into the dock...
  7. NO keyboard or mouse working once windows boots up

NO keyboard or mouse working once windows boots up: After switching on my computer, all USB ports become inactive once the computer boots up. If I go into BIOS, they are working fine and responding but not once booted up and windows has appeared. This seems to be a common problem and most solutions expect the keyboard or mouse...
  8. NO keyboard or mouse working once windows boots up

in Windows 10 Customization
    NO keyboard or mouse working once windows boots up: After switching on my computer, all USB ports become inactive once the computer boots up. If I go into BIOS, they are working fine and responding but not once booted up and windows has appeared. This seems to be a common problem and most solutions expect the keyboard or mouse...
  9. Kiosk Mode Partially Working upon Boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Kiosk Mode Partially Working upon Boot: We have machines that are placed in kiosk mode via group policy via a registry edit and then a group and user policy enforces kiosk mode. This also kicks off a script that starts two programs. This is so that our remote users using these machines don't have any options to...
  10. keyboard hotkeys with ctrl partially working

in Windows 10 Support
    keyboard hotkeys with ctrl partially working: Hello Just installed win 10 I have 4 input languages: English, Hebrew, French France, French Canadian multi I can rotate the input with shift leftAlt and have access to these languages in sequence But when I assigned ctrl hot keys (0,1,2,3 in the above language order) to...