Windows 10: Keyboard (physical & on-screen) not working on log-in screen

Discus and support Keyboard (physical & on-screen) not working on log-in screen in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Hello together, my keyboard stopped working on the login screen (no crashes etc, just on day in the morning). Sadly I cant use the on-screen... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by Partholan, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Partholan Win User

Keyboard (physical & on-screen) not working on log-in screen

Hello together,

my keyboard stopped working on the login screen (no crashes etc, just on day in the morning).

Sadly I cant use the on-screen keyboard, because I will get an error message stating "Could not start the on-screen keyboard".

However, the keyboard works in BIOS, with the repair disk and in other systems (Linux).

I am working with Windows 10 Pro 64bit on a desktop-pc (don't know the build; repair-disk only outputs its own build).

Here's a list of things I've already tried:

1. used another keyboard
    2. used another USB port
    3. unplugged all other USB devices
    4. started in safe mode (cmd from repair-disk, because I cant use the shift key)
      • this worked; however, the keyboard did not work here either
    5. system restore (repair-disk)
      • unfortunately i don't have a restore-point (i could swear i created one, but now it doesn't matter anyway)
    6. image recovery (repair-disk)
      • i don't have an image available
    7. start-up repair (repair-disk)
      • error message "Start-up repair couldn't repair your PC"
    8. go back to previous build (repair-disk)
      • error message "We ran into a problem and won't be able to take you back to the previous build"
    9. remove password (cmd from repair-disk)
      • since I have linked my PC to the microsoft-account, this is not possible
    10. create user with no password (cmd from repair-disk)
      • not possible, because cmd from repair-disk is reduced/restricted
    11. force on-screen keyboard service to start ("sc config TabletInputService start= auto")
    12. renamed system32\cmd.exe to system32\utilman.exe to get full access to cmd by clicking the little icon in the bottom right corner (this is possible from the repair-disk cmd)
      • "full" cmd has started; however, the keyboard did not work here either
    13. renamed system32\osk.exe to system32\utilman.exe
      • nothing happend after clicking the little icon
    14. copying system32\osk.exe from another PC to my system32 (and restoring the original utilman.exe)
      • same error message as with my osk.exe

Since I would unfortunately lose my installed programms if I reset my system with the repair-disk, I wanted to avoid this sledgehammer approach for now.

So if anyone else has an idea/suggestion/solution, I would be very grateful.

Best regards

Partholan

:)

Partholan, Oct 30, 2018
  2. Partholan Win User

Hello together,

my keyboard stopped working on the login screen (no crashes etc, just on day in the morning).

Sadly I cant use the on-screen keyboard, because I will get an error message stating "Could not start the on-screen keyboard".

However, the keyboard works in BIOS, with the repair disk and in other systems (Linux).

I am working with Windows 10 Pro 64bit on a desktop-pc (don't know the build; repair-disk only outputs its own build).

Here's a list of things I've already tried:

1. used another keyboard
    2. used another USB port
    3. unplugged all other USB devices
    4. started in safe mode (cmd from repair-disk, because I cant use the shift key)
      • this worked; however, the keyboard did not work here either
    5. system restore (repair-disk)
      • unfortunately i don't have a restore-point (i could swear i created one, but now it doesn't matter anyway)
    6. image recovery (repair-disk)
      • i don't have an image available
    7. start-up repair (repair-disk)
      • error message "Start-up repair couldn't repair your PC"
    8. go back to previous build (repair-disk)
      • error message "We ran into a problem and won't be able to take you back to the previous build"
    9. remove password (cmd from repair-disk)
      • since I have linked my PC to the microsoft-account, this is not possible
    10. create user with no password (cmd from repair-disk)
    11. force on-screen keyboard service to start ("sc config TabletInputService start= auto")
    12. renamed system32\cmd.exe to system32\utilman.exe to get full access to cmd by clicking the little icon in the bottom right corner (this is possible from the repair-disk cmd)
      • "full" cmd has started; however, the keyboard did not work here either
    13. renamed system32\osk.exe to system32\utilman.exe
      • nothing happend after clicking the little icon
    14. copying system32\osk.exe from another PC to my system32 (and restoring the original utilman.exe)
      • same error message as with my osk.exe

Since I would unfortunately lose my installed programms if I reset my system with the repair-disk, I wanted to avoid this
    sledgehammer approach for now.

So if anyone else has an idea/suggestion/solution, I would be very grateful.

Best regards

Partholan, Oct 30, 2018
  3. John Vil Win User
    want to use manual keyboard----not on screen keyboard

Hi,

The On-Screen Keyboard is an application which provides a visual keyboard on your screen that can be used in place of a physical keyboard. To better assist you and provide you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps, kindly answer the questions below:

• Is your physical keyboard not functioning?
    • Have you tried turning off the On-Screen Keyboard?

To turn off the On-Screen Keyboard, kindly follow the steps below:

• Click on Start.
    • Go to Settings.
    • Select Ease of Access.
    • On the left panel, click on Keyboard.
    • Under On-Screen Keyboard, make sure it is set to Off.

We'll be waiting for your response.

John Vil, Oct 30, 2018
  4. Keyboard (physical & on-screen) not working on log-in screen

You could investigate that symptom. FWIW I have never seen it but I have seen a similar symptom frequently. The OSK was left on another monitor, so it was already running. What do you see if you press Alt-Tab in that case? You could also start Narrator
    (with Win+Ctrl+Enter or via the Accessibility menu the same way that you are trying to start the OSK) and then have yet another task to see when you pressed Alt-Tab.

How do you get into cmd from the Login screen? In any case, that would be trying to do something with the Touch Keyboard, not the OSK. Then again this could be a symptom that you did have OSK running
    but not able to control it. The TK and the OSK cannot be used concurrently.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle

---

Robert Aldwinckle on forums, Oct 30, 2018
Thema:

1. Keyboard (physical & on-screen) not working on log-in screen - Similar Threads - Keyboard physical screen

2. My physical and screen keyboard are not working…

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My physical and screen keyboard are not working…: I woke up and randomly my physical and screen keyboard both stopped working, whenever I try to type something a random page opens, I tried everything I could find online for the past 2 hours and nothing worked. Please help...
  3. My physical and screen keyboard are not working…

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My physical and screen keyboard are not working…: I woke up and randomly my physical and screen keyboard both stopped working, whenever I try to type something a random page opens, I tried everything I could find online for the past 2 hours and nothing worked. Please help...
  4. My physical and screen keyboard are not working…

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Keyboard not working on log in screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard not working on log in screen: My keyboard isn't typing letters and numbers on log in screen! I tried on screen keyboard and i the same issue. Buttons like CAPS and SHIFT work fine. Filter keys are off and its still not working....
  6. Keyboard not working on log in screen

Keyboard not working on log in screen: My keyboard isn't typing letters and numbers on log in screen! I tried on screen keyboard and i the same issue. Buttons like CAPS and SHIFT work fine. Filter keys are off and its still not working....
  7. Keyboard not working on log in screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  8. Keyboard physical & on-screen not working on Microsoft Account log-in screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Keyboard physical & on-screen not working on Microsoft Account log-in screen: I am unable to type in the user password when trying to to log into a new user account account is an existing MS account, it's just new on this computer pop-up, but I can type the user password into the local admin password field on the login. Unfortunately, I don't have an...
  9. Keyboard physical & on-screen not working on Microsoft Account log-in screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard physical & on-screen not working on Microsoft Account log-in screen: I am unable to type in the user password when trying to to log into a new user account account is an existing MS account, it's just new on this computer pop-up, but I can type the user password into the local admin password field on the login. Unfortunately, I don't have an...
  10. Keyboard physical & on-screen not working on Microsoft Account log-in screen

Users found this page by searching for:

1. a key on my computer quit working on the physical and onscreen keyboard