Windows 10: Keyboard presses not working in-game

Discus and support Keyboard presses not working in-game in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've been experiencing sporadic issues with my keyboard while in-game. I'm looking for a way to resolve the problem without restarting the game. I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MrTouchnGo, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Keyboard presses not working in-game

I've been experiencing sporadic issues with my keyboard while in-game. I'm looking for a way to resolve the problem without restarting the game. I'm also looking for a way to prevent this from happening again.

Symptoms

1. Alphanumeric keys - that is, 123456abcdef, etc. - do not work while in game. Other keys such as function keys (F1-12) and CTRL, SHIFT, SPACE, and others DO work.
    2. Typing in a chat or other text fields in-game does work. If I type in a chatbox, the keys work as expected and I am able to type text normally.
    3. On-screen keyboard does work, though a different hardware keyboard does not.
    4. Sometimes, a key will work and the game will behave as if the key is being held down.
    5. I can use my keyboard perfectly normally outside of the game, as well as within in-game overlays such as Steam or Discord.
    6. The problem, when it occurs, most often begins on startup. That is, I notice it as soon as the game is started up. However, it does sometimes happen after the game has been running for a while as well.
    7. The problem usually goes away after restarting the game and/or computer.

Notes

1. This is not specific to a single hardware keyboard. I tried it with two different keyboards, both connected via USB. I don't think it's an issue with the hardware keyboards because the keyboards work fine out of game and even in certain parts of the games.
    2. This is not specific to a single game. Three games in which this happens are Warframe (launched through Steam), Maplestory 2 (launched through Nexon Launcher), and Dragon Age: Origins (launched through Steam). I'm pretty sure this has happened in more games that I'm forgetting. It happens very rarely with Maplestory 2, and more frequently with Warframe and DA:O.
    3. This has been a sporadic but recurring problem for at least a year.
    4. I have tried both updating and reinstalling drivers.
    5. I have sticky keys and filter keys disabled.

System Info

Keyboard presses not working in-game a4805b4e-ce0b-4df0-ac6a-32ec8b02f886?upload=true.png

This is a custom-built desktop PC built over two years ago, with ample CPU and GPU for high-end gaming. There are otherwise no major issues that I've noticed.

:)

MrTouchnGo, Jan 2, 2019

2. Keyboard Volume Keys not working while in-game

I happen to have used the Tt Challenger Pro keyboard in the past, and the volume keys worked flawlessly in every game, so it's indeed a weird problem. I would suggest the same thing sneekypeet suggested, using the keyboard software and assign this function to a hotkey, but you said that didn't work either, so yeah...

George_o/c, Jan 2, 2019
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Keyboard shortcut Alt key not working

Hi,

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better.

• Since when are you facing this issue?

• Did you make any software or hardware changes on your computer prior to this issue?

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: You may check if the ALT key is functioning correctly in on-screen keyboard. It will help us to verify if there is any issue with the keyboard.

Follow the steps below to open On-screen Keyboard.

• Windows + Q, type OSK (on-screen keyboard)

• And check if it works
    Step 2: Run Hardware and device Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your devices. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Jan 2, 2019
  4. Keyboard presses not working in-game

Help Choosing Gaming Keyboard

Hi guys, just found this forum and looks awesome.

I just bought a Logitech Illuminated Keyboard (this one) and I am about 70% satisfied. I am returning it because they sent me the wrong model number, but I think the model number up from this won't be much different.

What I need in a gaming keyboard:
    • WHITE Backlit Keys (multicolor is a plus but has to allow white since I basically only use white)
    • Anti-ghosting (preferably 10 keys simultaneous)
    • Silent Keypress
    • $40 to $80 (used is fine)
    • Easy-to press keys
    • External color a simple black
    • OPTIONAL: Low-profile keys (slim, ultraslim)
    What do you suggest? I have been searching for many hours and have a few ideas, but there are mixed reviews.

vawrvawerawe, Jan 2, 2019
Thema:

Keyboard presses not working in-game

1. Keyboard presses not working in-game - Similar Threads - Keyboard presses working

2. Keyboard auto pressing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard auto pressing: I tried disabling the internal keyboard and its still automatically pressing, I also tried to disconnect my external keyboard and its still pressing its getting very annoying I tried everything I tried a battery reset I tried disabling the internal keyboard none of them works...
  3. Keyboard auto pressing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard auto pressing: I tried disabling the internal keyboard and its still automatically pressing, I also tried to disconnect my external keyboard and its still pressing its getting very annoying I tried everything I tried a battery reset I tried disabling the internal keyboard none of them works...
  4. Keyboard auto pressing

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Keyboard keeps pressing *

Keyboard keeps pressing *: I updated the keyboard driver and uninstalled and reinstalled it but it didn't fix this issue. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/keyboard-keeps-pressing/eb0a185a-a2a1-424e-b71a-67b2a1829593
  6. Keyboard keeps pressing *

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard keeps pressing *: I updated the keyboard driver and uninstalled and reinstalled it but it didn't fix this issue. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/keyboard-keeps-pressing/eb0a185a-a2a1-424e-b71a-67b2a1829593
  7. Keyboard keeps pressing *

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Keyboard keep pressing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Keyboard keep pressing: My Toshiba Satellite L55-A5226 keeps pressing the "0" key again. Also it happen may 2019 to about august 2019. after about 1 year its happen again. But it will stopped only when i forcing pressed the 9, 0 and its adjacent keys. How this happen? It is sign of failure in my...
  9. USB game controller's are pressing keyboard keys

USB game controller's are pressing keyboard keys: I have for a while been using my PS3 controller for gaming and it works fine. But I needed to test out a new SNES controller for a project, and found it was not reading correctly. Or so I thought. I tested another with same results. Stranger thing is that I have a KIT...
  10. Unlock by pressing key on keyboard (not working anymore)

in Windows 10 Support
    Unlock by pressing key on keyboard (not working anymore): I've got a weird one... anyone else had the ability to unlock (meaning swipe away the lock screen to get to the password screen) by pressing a key on the keyboard go away? In other words, I used to be able to walk up to my computer and press the space key and then enter my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to lock keyboard f1-12 ingame

2. Keyboard not working ingame chat 2019