Windows 10: keyboard problems with new computer

Discus and support keyboard problems with new computer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I just bought a new laptop today, Acer Aspire V13 but I can't complete the start up etc because I can't use the @ symbol ( shift 2) , I get the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by budding student, Jan 29, 2016.

1. keyboard problems with new computer

Hi, I just bought a new laptop today, Acer Aspire V13 but I can't complete the start up etc because I can't use the @ symbol ( shift 2) , I get the symbol ". I have tried all of the function keys in fact every key on the board but nothing helps. Please can someone help me???*Sad I am using my old, but reliable laptop to sen this message.

:)

budding student, Jan 29, 2016
  2. JimWynne Win User

the calculator on my new HP keyboard does not work. Is there something I need to do. (number lock is on)

You say it's a new keyboard. Is it also a new computer? Have you had the problem before? How is the keyboard connected? Have you tried a different keyboard? Details, please.

JimWynne, Jan 29, 2016
  3. Nokia phone download problem

Hi all, I have just acquired a Nokia Lumia 625, and am trying to download Skype from the Microsoft shop. Two things happen -- either Microsoft does not recognise the password for my newly acquired account (although it does accept it when I access it from
    my PC), or I get an error code message, 8009030e. Very frustrating... Thanks for any help!

Problems with Microsoft, Jan 29, 2016
  4. keyboard problems with new computer

have you tried shift the one above CTRL as that one also will bring up the@ sign

hTconeM9user, Jan 30, 2016
  5. Bumpkin Win User
    I've never had a problem like yours... but you can try a couple of things to at least get the @ symbol.

If you need the @ to login, notice on the login screen three icons in the right lower corner, the center one opens the Onscreen Keyboard.

Or if you are past the login screen, just type Onscreen Keyboard in the search box on the task bar.

Since it is a brand new computer you should call Acer for more help.

Bumpkin, Jan 30, 2016
  6. Thank you for the reply. Yes I have tried shift + 2 since that is how anyone would normally get the @ symbol, but on the Aspire, NOT! I can't find any solution on the keyboard.....................

budding student, Jan 30, 2016
  7. philc43 Win User
    Looks like the region and language settings were not correctly setup for your laptop. If the onscreen keyboard isn't working you might find that the @ symbol is where the " symbol is (possibly 2 keys to the right of letter L) and it will need the shift key to activate it.

Once you are logged in you can then correctly set up the region and language settings.

philc43, Jan 30, 2016
  8. keyboard problems with new computer

Thanks, I'll certainly try the first two options. With regard to contacting Acer, I will certainly do that, but they are only available mon-friday and patience is NOT my strong point, hence my post on this forum.

9. Bumpkin Win User
    Check out post #4 by philc43 . I was about to suggest checking if you are using the correct keyboard layout, but phillc43 got here first!

Bumpkin, Jan 30, 2016
  10. Try this press shift and " together and see if @ comes up
    As you clicked @ and got "

hTconeM9user, Jan 30, 2016
  11. BunnyJ New Member
    I totally understand the way you feel.. I'm the same when it comes to things like this. Is the store where you got the laptop open tomorrow or soon. If so take it back and see if they can help out.

BunnyJ, Jan 30, 2016
  12. THIS WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!! so now I can access the @ symbol, but is there a way to reset the keyboard so that the symbols are back where they should be?????

Thank you to everyone who has replied so far, I really appreciate your help!

13. keyboard problems with new computer

Yes, see post # 5.

COMPUTIAC Guest, Jan 30, 2016
  14. Thank you! It's really great to get this sort of help.

15. Its what most of us are here for.
    Post back with your result's and any other question's.

COMPUTIAC Guest, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

keyboard problems with new computer

1. keyboard problems with new computer - Similar Threads - keyboard problems computer

2. New computer problems . . .

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New computer problems . . .: Both of my computers, are Dell laptops.Running, Windows 10.Cortana is taking me through the setup,of a new Windows 10 computer.It asks for my, email address.I put that in, no problem. Then it asks for, my password. So I enter my Windows account, password. And it says. The...
  3. New computer problems . . .

in Windows 10 Customization
    New computer problems . . .: Both of my computers, are Dell laptops.Running, Windows 10.Cortana is taking me through the setup,of a new Windows 10 computer.It asks for my, email address.I put that in, no problem. Then it asks for, my password. So I enter my Windows account, password. And it says. The...
  4. New computer problems . . .

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. problems with new and old computer

problems with new and old computer: so I recently got a new laptop and every thing I deleted on it deleted on my old one even know I wanted to keep it on my old computer. Its also same with downloads every thing I download on my new laptop ends up on my old one. How would I keep this from happening...
  6. New keyboard caps lock problem,

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New keyboard caps lock problem,: I have a new ergonomic wired MS keyboard, Model #1878-1923 X22-18381-02 With caps lock turned off I get caps anyway, I just returned a keyboard to Amazon, and this second one does the same thing. My computer runs Windows 10 the keyboard Is USB connected to the computer....
  7. new computer, keyboard wornt work correctly

new computer, keyboard wornt work correctly: my olc computer no longer worked online, so got a new one and plugged in my keyboard its a Logitech K120 with numerics available for use on the riht hand side, I cant get my computer to recognize the side buttons so I can use them, help?...
  8. Problem with the new keyboard language switching menu

Problem with the new keyboard language switching menu: Hello, So I've upgraded to the 1903 win 10 version and I've had an encounter with one of the new features - the menu that lets you switch between keyboard languages when you hold Alt + LShift. The main problem is that this menu pops up in games and it is really annoying....
  9. Problems with sound on new computer

Problems with sound on new computer: I got a new computer, but I got a very strange problem with the sound system. Most of the time the system wil play no sound. When I open Netflix or World of Tanks I hear nothing. But when I click the slider of the sound system in Windows, I hear the ping. When I open the...
  10. Win10 keyboard problem computer

Win10 keyboard problem computer: How do i get my computer to stop typing the - symbol when i try and use the Slash? The ? is now the dash + shift... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/win10-keyboard-problem-computer/8a64e62f-4e7e-494b-918f-d24f9208392c