Windows 10: Keyboard refuses to work after Windows 10 update

Discus and support Keyboard refuses to work after Windows 10 update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I know the keyboard works because I've tried it on different computers running Windows 10. It failed immediately after the update. I tried a system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Draobyek, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Draobyek Win User

Keyboard refuses to work after Windows 10 update

I know the keyboard works because I've tried it on different computers running Windows 10. It failed immediately after the update. I tried a system restore and it took forever, only to realize later that it restored my PC to before a minor update of a redistributable rather than the major update that broke the keyboard. I didn't feel like doing another system restore if that minor update took that long to revert. Anything else I can try before I buy a new keyboard? I'd rather just buy a new one and see if it works than start messing with system restore again and have to watch what updates to install. The keyboard is pretty old. It's an MS keyboard that might not be officially supported anymore. But again, it works on other fully updated Windows 10 computers and it's worked on this computer for years.

Today, I tried clearing the CMOS on the motherboard. After I did that, I got a screen on boot asking me to press F2 or other keys to get into the BIOS. The keyboard worked. I was able to get into the BIOS and use the arrow keys. I exited the BIOS, got into Windows, downloaded a BIOS update (just something else to try), rebooted, got into the BIOS again using the keyboard, but it failed to find the BIOS update ROM. I believe it failed to read my USB drive because it was exFAT. So I got into Windows again, put the BIOS in another USB drive, but when I tried to get into the BIOS this time, I couldn't. No matter how many times I press the F key it won't go into the BIOS. The OS loads really fast. So I then found out there's a way to load into the BIOS through an option in the Win 10 recovery called UEIF Firmware Settings. Unfortunately, this option is missing for me. The reason is because, for some reason (built the computer myself, didn't know this was a thing to watch for), my BIOS is on legacy mode, not UEFI.

See this picture:
    https://www.partitionwizard.com/imag...ndows-10-1.jpg

However, if I choose the command prompt option from the menu in that picture, it will ask me for my Windows login password and the keyboard works perfectly here and on the command prompt (doesn't work on the command prompt if I open it normally from Windows of course). What is going on?

:)

Draobyek, Sep 29, 2020
  2. Kem Mon Win User

Keyboard not working after Windows 10 Update

Hi,

Have you tried updating
    your mouse and keyboard driver? If not, we suggest you to do so. There is a possibility that the driver is not compatible with the new Windows 10 update. However, one
    of the workarounds that we suggest for your mouse and keyboard to work is to update the driver. If the symptom persist, you can run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter. To run the Troubleshooter, follow these steps:

• On your search bar, type
      Troubleshooting.

• Change the view to
      View all.

• Choose
      Hardware and Devices
      and run the troubleshooter.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Sep 29, 2020
  3. Nordic Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Sep 29, 2020
  4. Mussels Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

i've seen this when the stock USB drivers went kaput. Only ever seen it once - i used a PCI USB 2.0 card and connected the mouse and keyboard to that, and manually updated the USB 2/USB 3 drivers.

Mussels, Sep 29, 2020
Thema:

1. Keyboard refuses to work after Windows 10 update - Similar Threads - Keyboard refuses update

2. Keyboard bindings changed after I refused the windows 11 update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard bindings changed after I refused the windows 11 update: Hi everyoneYesterday, I got the option to update to windows 11, which i refused. After that, I coudlnt even change the volume or take a screenshot. Using my previous volume keys FN and arrowkeys it now minimizes whichever window im using right now. And the Screenshot button...
  3. Keyboard bindings changed after I refused the windows 11 update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard bindings changed after I refused the windows 11 update: Hi everyoneYesterday, I got the option to update to windows 11, which i refused. After that, I coudlnt even change the volume or take a screenshot. Using my previous volume keys FN and arrowkeys it now minimizes whichever window im using right now. And the Screenshot button...
  4. Mouse and Keyboard absolutely refuse to work after Windows loads

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mouse and Keyboard absolutely refuse to work after Windows loads: Basically, my mouse and keyboard shut down as soon as windows starts loading in. They don't work in any port, they don't work after unplugging and plugging them back in, and they don't work on safe mode. They both work fine on the BIOS and on the windows recovery screen (the...
  5. keyboard not working after windows updates

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    keyboard not working after windows updates: Hi, on 29th oct i updated my lenovo laptop after which my keyboard stopped working . i tried the usual options like updating drivers but nothing worked . keyboard started working only after i restored the system to an earlier check point . today microsoft forcibly...
  6. keyboard not working after windows 10 update

keyboard not working after windows 10 update: keyboard doesn't work everytime I start windows. I have to do restart everytime to make it work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/keyboard-not-working-after-windows-10-update/fb211d93-b953-49de-acd3-5579e8ee1c45
  7. My keyboard is not working after windows 10 update

My keyboard is not working after windows 10 update: Hello ! My keyboard is not working on windows 10 apps after update .. It works on browser , in games and Notepad etc But its not work apps Like Ms Store ,Twitter Etc.. Keyboard Shortcut Keys are also not work.. Please Tell me reason and its Solution .. Fatima Ali...
  8. Keyboard refuses to work after Windows 10 update

Keyboard refuses to work after Windows 10 update: I know the keyboard works because I've tried it on different computers running Windows 10. It failed immediately after the update. I tried a system restore and it took forever, only to realize later that it restored my PC to before a minor update of a redistributable rather...
  9. Windows 10 activation refused after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 activation refused after update: After repeated failure to automatically install update 1803 for Windows 10 Pro, I followed instructions to ignore this update and downloaded the media creation tool to install the latest update 1809. This then wouldn't activate (Windows was pre-installed on my iMac when I...
  10. Keyboard and Mouse are not working after Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Keyboard and Mouse are not working after Windows 10 update: Shutdown my PC last night and updates were installed. I went to login today and both the keyboard and mouse will not work. I tried them on a separate device and they both worked fine. They will work in the BIOS and in Safe Mode, but i tried to run a system restore to roll...