Windows 10: Keyboard Settings for Num Lock Key

Discus and support Keyboard Settings for Num Lock Key in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My Num-Lock key resets to "Off" when the computer is "Shut Down". . My password requires an ASCII character, and having the Num-Lock off while trying... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Lois-GTB, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Lois-GTB Win User

Keyboard Settings for Num Lock Key

My Num-Lock key resets to "Off" when the computer is "Shut Down".

My password requires an ASCII character, and having the Num-Lock off while trying to enter the Windows password is a problem. It takes a few unsuccessful attempts before I remember the Num-Lock is off.

This doesn't happen when doing a "Restart", only after complete "Shut Down". Where is the setting where can I set the Num-Lock to always boot-up in the "On" state?

Thanks for your Help, Lois-GTB

:)

Lois-GTB, Oct 6, 2020

2. Num Lock won't work for 10-key

Hello Alana,

We understand your concern in this regard.

• You mean to say, Num Lock key won't work or Numeric keypad won't work?
    • Did you try connecting external keyboard?
    • Is that onscreen keyboard shows the same behavior?
    • When you press Num Lock key, will the Num Lock light key glows on the keyboard?
    Let us know these things to analyze the issue and guide you accordingly.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Oct 7, 2020
  3. Num Lock issue on Windows 10

Hi,

I realize that you are facing issues with the Num Lock on your PC. I will try to help you with this issue.

You may plug in an external keyboard to the PC to check if the Num Lock issue reoccurs. You may also want to use the on-screen keyboard to check if that helps.

Follow these steps to launch the On-screen keyboard:

• Press Windows key + R to get the run window.

• Type “osk” and hit enter to launch the On-screen keyboard and check if this helps.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Oct 7, 2020
  4. Kris Ver Win User

NUM Lock issue

Hi Karl,

The status of the NUM LOCK key is specific for each user, and NUM LOCK is disabled by default. If you want the NUM LOCK key enabled for use before a user presses CTRL+ALT+DEL to log on, you must use Registry Editor to change the default behavior.

To enable NUM LOCK before a user logs on, follow these steps:

• Run Registry Editor.
    • Move to HKEY_USERS\.Default\Control Panel\Keyboard.
    • Change the value for InitialKeyboardIndicators from 0 to 2.

IMPORTANT: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these
    steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article
    in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: How to back up and restore the registry in Window.

Kindly update us with the result.

Kris Ver, Oct 7, 2020
Thema:

1. Keyboard Settings for Num Lock Key - Similar Threads - Keyboard Settings Num

2. Num lock key not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Num lock key not working: Num lock key is not working. How do I turn it on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/num-lock-key-not-working/b1ea4f8f-bd31-45d8-bd13-408f6c6b9945
  3. Num lock key not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Num lock key not working: Num lock key is not working. How do I turn it on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/num-lock-key-not-working/b1ea4f8f-bd31-45d8-bd13-408f6c6b9945
  4. Setting NUM Lock default state for different multiple keyboards

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setting NUM Lock default state for different multiple keyboards: I Work From HomeWFH a couple of days a week and use the laptop keyboard, with Fn+NumLk key to toggle NumPad.I Work From OfficeWFO a couple of days a week and use a standard keyboardattached to a docking station, right-hand NumPad and NumLock key to toggle NumPad.so I require...
  5. Setting NUM Lock default state for different multiple keyboards

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Setting NUM Lock default state for different multiple keyboards: I Work From HomeWFH a couple of days a week and use the laptop keyboard, with Fn+NumLk key to toggle NumPad.I Work From OfficeWFO a couple of days a week and use a standard keyboardattached to a docking station, right-hand NumPad and NumLock key to toggle NumPad.so I require...
  6. Num Lock on Keyboard

in Windows 10 Customization
    Num Lock on Keyboard: I am using a wireless Logitech K800 keyboard. Every time the computer in started or rebooted, the num lock is disingaged. According to Logitech, this is controlled and caused by Windows. Is there any way to fix this? Thanks....
  7. Num lock keyboard not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Num lock keyboard not working: Hey So when i try to type any number on keyboard from the numlock side nothing appears and the numlock key is activated https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/num-lock-keyboard-not-working/725703de-aaa0-4d62-9618-4803ac0a48d1
  8. Num lock key

Num lock key: Yesterday I turned off my pc and started it again a few minutes later, and now my num lock key is off upon opening. How do I change the default to be "on" ?...
  9. NUM LOCK Key - Wanting to set on permanently/Disable key

NUM LOCK Key - Wanting to set on permanently/Disable key: As the title states I would like to find a way of setting my keyboard to always have NumLock to be on. Not just at boot up. I am aware of the registry setting that accomplishes this at boot (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Keyboard\InitialKeyboardIndicators) but that isn't...
  10. Num Lock key on at boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Num Lock key on at boot: For some reason, my num lock is off by default. I looked up the solutions, and the ones I found said to turn it on at the login screen, then reboot. It remained on for the next boot, but after that, it was off again. So I tried changing the registry key under...