Windows 10: Keyboard Shortcuts only work if another program is running

Discus and support Keyboard Shortcuts only work if another program is running in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I am using Windows 10, my keyboard shortcuts only work if another program is running, which is inconvenient since I use the shortcuts to launch every... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Samsaras, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Keyboard Shortcuts only work if another program is running

I am using Windows 10, my keyboard shortcuts only work if another program is running, which is inconvenient since I use the shortcuts to launch every program I use regularly. I have tried researching but apparently google and I are having communication problems.

Any guidance would be appreciated, thank you in advance.

submitted by /u/Samsaras
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Samsaras, Jun 17, 2020
  2. Arun B J Win User

Keyboard shortcut Alt key not working

Hi,

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better.

• Since when are you facing this issue?

• Did you make any software or hardware changes on your computer prior to this issue?

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: You may check if the ALT key is functioning correctly in on-screen keyboard. It will help us to verify if there is any issue with the keyboard.

Follow the steps below to open On-screen Keyboard.

• Windows + Q, type OSK (on-screen keyboard)

• And check if it works
    Step 2: Run Hardware and device Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your devices. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Jun 17, 2020
  3. das10 Win User
    Delay launching programs with keyboard shortcuts

From reading around, my understanding (and I stand to be corrected) is that the 2-3 second delay is a Windows default delay where Windows searches for any other app or program running at the time on your PC which MIGHT have the same shortcut as the program you are running and switch over to it instead of running the program initiated by your shortcut. In case of any unresponsive or misbehaving app or program, Windows waits 2-3 seconds before moving on to the next running program.

see:
    Why is there sometimes a long delay between pressing a hotkey for a shortcut and opening the shortcut? The Old New Thing
    for this explanation

There are also some trouble shooting steps which you can try listed down the page here:
    slow windows desktop keyboard shortcuts - Super User

As regards the store and settings, I would try to reset at least the store app as per instructions here :
    Clear and Reset Store Cache in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

I would also disable fast startup at least once and do a full shutdown and restart as often times it helps to get rid of some bugs in Windows.

Hope this helps you narrow down the solution. Otherwise, just wait for someone else to chime in.

das10, Jun 17, 2020
  4. iammike Win User

Keyboard Shortcuts only work if another program is running

Delay launching programs with keyboard shortcuts

Thx,

I will reply in bits *Wink

I agree and I had already read the articles you linked to, but would you be happy if this was standard behavior and another question does this happen on your own PC's ?? It happened on my OLD PC but after the April 2018 update it magically STOPPED. NO IDEA WHY *Confused

The trouble shooting steps are disabling Superfetch or killing ApplicationFramehost but that is last resort I now Kill store and settings as soon as they re-appear and that seems to solve it but it's cumbersome when checking for updates or browsing through settings.

I will reset the store (thanks for the tip) but this is a brand new install (only been up and running since Saturday) nothing has been added much. Only Running (@ the moment) Virusscanner, Web Browser (Firefox) iTunes and VLC)

Fast Startup has been disabled from DAY 1 *Wink

Thx for the tips, really appreciated.

iammike, Jun 17, 2020
Thema:

Keyboard Shortcuts only work if another program is running

1. Keyboard Shortcuts only work if another program is running - Similar Threads - Keyboard Shortcuts another

2. Run program as admin shortcut

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Run program as admin shortcut: Hi , I have a program that is really slow loading for a standard user , but when I right click, run as admin - put my admin creds in programs loads fastSo I can create a shortcut to this program on desktop , that is always run as admin and the user doesn’t need to type in...
  3. Run program as admin shortcut

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Run program as admin shortcut: Hi , I have a program that is really slow loading for a standard user , but when I right click, run as admin - put my admin creds in programs loads fastSo I can create a shortcut to this program on desktop , that is always run as admin and the user doesn’t need to type in...
  4. Run program as admin shortcut

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. keyboard only works as shortcut keys at startup.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    keyboard only works as shortcut keys at startup.: so when i turn on my laptop is works on the login page. but when i log on i cant type. for example the "c" key opens the teams wight thing, "d" minimizes all apps. it just acts like the win key is constantly pressed. i honestly don't know hot i get it to cat normal again....
  6. keyboard only works as shortcut keys at startup.

keyboard only works as shortcut keys at startup.: so when i turn on my laptop is works on the login page. but when i log on i cant type. for example the "c" key opens the teams wight thing, "d" minimizes all apps. it just acts like the win key is constantly pressed. i honestly don't know hot i get it to cat normal again....
  7. no run only programs and only English -

no run only programs and only English -: no run only programs and only English -Hi What can Microsoft do to protect our data and have it so that only programs that are allowed to run are in English and that we can stop random programs and apps from running that are not installed ? 365 and azure have not been...
  8. keyboard shortcuts not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    keyboard shortcuts not working: Looking for keyboard shortcuts for diacriticals, either in ENG INTL or in Deutsch/German. Bing's list has instructions for combos, apostrophe=acute accent works, but comma=cedilla and colon=umlaut do nothing. What is the correct shortcut to use without keying in a code each...
  9. Shortcuts to programs not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Shortcuts to programs not working: Greetings, I have a PC running Windows 10 1903 on a 512Gb SSD with 8Gb of memory. Desktop shortcuts are no longer operational. Even if I go to the program file location and double click on the program file nothing happens. If I right click on the Windows icon and select...
  10. Program shortcut opens another "running" icon in taskbar

Program shortcut opens another "running" icon in taskbar: Hi Guys, I have Firefox pinned to my taskbar, but when I run the program, it opens up another icon in the taskbar to indicate that it's running. The other browser I use does not do that. In fact, I do not remember Firefox doing that previously. It will just "underscores"...